Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3344439 - 09/02/13 08:52 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: WGK]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

I dont understand why people go to church to socialize. My mom is a candidate of it. I have a new nephew who is 5 months old and she is constantly looking over to him, or holding him and trying to make him laugh, etc. Its all cute and all, and i love my nephew to death, but i go to church for a reason. To learn the word better and to try to take the sermon and prayer and use it in my everyday walk. If you cant take 2hrs out of your day to focus on what the preacher has prayed about and has brought to the pulpit to share then somethings wrong.

Im with you on this, I know you want to say something to her, as i do mine but i try to keep peace and just let it go.

Maybe a talk with the Pastor will help out and him or a deacon can have a talk with her. Or maybe he can just announce that no food or drinks are allowed in the sanctuary anymore. That should solve the problem there.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3344456 - 09/02/13 09:22 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: rem270]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Nothing worse than candy wrappers and crying babies during the service. Its a huge distraction and there is a cry room and nursery for a reason. Time for you to man up to your mom and have the conversation if nobody else will.

#3344487 - 09/02/13 10:03 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: Gravey]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

i do my praying in the woods

#3344507 - 09/02/13 10:36 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: rem270]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: rem270
I dont understand why people go to church to socialize.

Tangent, but let me address this:

This may be a news flash to some people, but God doesn't need you. God also doesn't need you to go to church to sing His praises and ask Him for favors.

He didn't give us the church for HIM, He gave us the church for US.

He gave us the church because He knew we needed a support group of people facing the same struggles on the same narrow path, and He knew we could comfort each other on that journey, and lift each other up, and help carry each other when need be.

So in that respect - Church is there for us to socialize. And to interact. And to walk through this worldly life knowing we have others taking that same journey with us.

And now, back to our regularly schedule program ;\)

#3344573 - 09/02/13 11:24 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: -DRM-]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know whether I was making a mountain out of a mole hill or what with the situation. I am on the same page though; after service last night, we went out to eat with the pastor and his wife, and I brought it up to him. This is a fairly recent problem...it hasn't been going on for months or anything like that; it's just been in the last month. I don't want to start a church gossip thing here...the church my sis inlaw and bro inlaw were members of for the past 8 yrs or so had a pretty big split, and they were hurt in that ordeal. So they've left and have been visiting around at other churches. So the niece and nephew weren't always at the church I go to. In the last month or so, they have started coming to our church whenever they aren't visiting else where...which has been most of the month. It's when the niece and nephew are there, when the candy and all that starts happening. The church they came from was a larger church that did have a space for the kids during service. The church I go to is a smaller church; it only has a baby changing station in the rest rooms, etc. We don't have any infants at our church but I imagine it wouldn't bother our preacher anyway if we did and one started crying; once he gets hooked up, you could drop a bomb outside and he not notice. Hahah.

It's not so much as not "manning up" as a couple of you have stated. I'm looking at it from a different way though. My parents have only been going to church for about 3 yrs now...and are still VERY fragile. I don't want to say or do something that would make them stop going to church all together. Likewise with the niece/nephew situation. They are just coming out of that bad situation where they were already hurt by some church members they considered to be family, and are in a place where it would be VERY easy for them to get out of church all together. I just don't want to be the one the devil uses to get folks to get mad and discouraged, and then they stop going to church over something like a candy wrapper.

#3344582 - 09/02/13 11:36 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: WGK]
Orion6
8 Point

Loc: Soddy Daisy,TN

Stuff like that used to bother me, but I believe in family service, not breaking off to Children's Church and the like. That's just me.

Kids are kids and they'll make noise. I don't think church has to be completely silent with everyone sitting on their hands the whole time. If my kids get loud I just whisper for them to be quiet.

If it's truly so loud you can't hear, you might just speak to her personally and ask her not to bring loud snacks or put them in something like a bowl with a lid that won't make much noise.

#3344669 - 09/02/13 01:13 PM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: Orion6]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

I dont presume to know your mother or yalls relationship but I wouldnt figure that a simple, gentile conversation with her about not bringing food into the sanctuary would make her not want to attend church anymore. As long as you word it correctly and let her know that it bothers you and is not some big issue with everyone in the church, then I wouldnt guess that she would get embarrassed or angered with the church. However, I would certainly bring it up with her since if it bothers you, it probably bothers other folks. And while kids will be kids, that dont mean that it is any less disruptive to others. Look at it in this sense. You are afraid of allowing the devil to act through you by driving her away. If the issue is not resolved, perhaps the disruption that the kids cause will not allow a certain person in the congregation to let in the Holy Spirit and not have a real immersion into Christianity. You could be saving some one a lifetime of not really knowing Christ or at the least, becoming closer to Him by setting this situation straight.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3344901 - 09/02/13 05:36 PM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: WGK]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

The very first thing you should do is pray for God's guidance in your actions. It is called a worship service for a reason. It is your time to praise and worship your God for all he has done, not a time to socialize with members or children. There should be time set aside for fellowship but not during the service time. If God has put it on your heart to say something then you should. I would hate to think that someone left my church service lost because I sit by and let the devil have his way. The devil can use your mom to disrupt a service just like he sometimes uses my wife to disrupt my entire day. God bless you and PRAY!
#3345269 - 09/03/13 12:31 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: BIGB]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

content Online
Crow, Sit with them. That way you can help keep the kids quiet and remind them to tone it down when needed. Be nice and smile you will be amazed at how much those kids will respond to an older man showing an interest in them. It may open up a whole new avenue for ministry for you. I kinda think DRM is on the right track. Be a leader. Allow the kids to be kids but structure them with guidance. It may interfere with your hearing and understanding of the message but it will offer you an opportunity to serve, which will benefit you even more.
Afterall, isn't that what is truly the point of church? Learn to serve, not that you don't now, but this is great chance to expand your ministry to your family and to the church.

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3345497 - 09/03/13 09:19 AM Re: A strange what would you do situation VERY LONG [Re: Hoss]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

My mother use to say a pastor should be able to preach over a crying baby (that was in the days before crying room). Now when a child is older enough to talk I mite have to think on that.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JRH, skysoldier173, jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley
13413 Registered Users
Who's Online
46 registered (mossyhorns300, hinshm, leader, Marion deer hunter, bowhunterfanatic, H1234, 5 invisible) and 87 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13413 Members
42 Forums
96719 Topics
1132492 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.