Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3356886 - 09/12/13 01:31 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
oops sorry . place called black mtn. tn. it's right off I-40west at crab orchard in cumberland co.

Not sure if I went there or not. I was never that into bouldering, but I did used o climb at The Obed a good bit.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3356895 - 09/12/13 01:40 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

yeah obed is a good place. we went to some bouldering contest down near atlanta back in the late 80's . i was waiting my turn and turned around and Ron Kauk was standing right behind me. That dude was a machine.

#3356910 - 09/12/13 01:57 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

fuzz..... those climbing pics just took me back......

#3356926 - 09/12/13 02:08 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Deck78]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

i think i still have a copy of southeast rock somewhere at the house.

#3356939 - 09/12/13 02:15 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
i think i still have a copy of southeast rock somewhere at the house.
did you ever have a pet rock, you painted eyes on it

#3356948 - 09/12/13 02:19 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

#3356951 - 09/12/13 02:21 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Man.... flipping through that Dixie Cragger's Atlans sure brings back some memories.

#3356958 - 09/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Deck78]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Deck78
fuzz..... those climbing pics just took me back......

Man, talk about getting lost trying to find routes.... NC is the worst. I got lost in Linville Gorge once after we had rapped in and finally just had to climb an unknown route to get out of there. On another occasion, me and gal got behind a slow party on a multipitch climb that we had intended to blast in under 2 hours. We ended up getting stuck in the dark without a headlamp... I didn't have a shirt with me. It was a pitch black night and we lost the trail out and ended up having to crawl around on all 4s around the rim of a 500 foot drop. I knew the Mountain to Sea trail was at the top of the mountain we were on so we just started climbing up directly through the Rhododendron in the pitch black. We finally hit the trail after hours and were able to get our direction based on the lights of the city of Morganton. Awful night to be stuck in the wilderness without a flashlight or shirt. To this day, I never go in the woods without a flashlight or a shirt

#3357001 - 09/12/13 03:04 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

what rock jock worth his salt doesn't have a great story of being totally compromised out on the face?! at least you were with a female. if it really went south you two were going to at least be able to keep each other warm \:\)

one time i took a buddy up a basic, 5.7/5.8 4 pitch trad route in early spring somewhere in NC, can't remember where anymore. there was a chance for rain but i had just got a full set of alien cams so i was dying to try them out. of course mother nature crushed us on the 3rd pitch and we were totally unprepared for the amount of bad weather that hit us. one rope, my rack which was not all that great at the time, and minimal clothing because, like you, we were going to jam out a quick climb, nothing more. a 5.7 is way too easy right? well by the time i got us up the 3rd pitch in the rain and set up for final pitch ascent, i noticed my buddy was starting to act a little funny.

long story short, the last pitch was really long and i couldn't really hear my buddy as he prepared to follow. i think he was shouting to me that he was scared but i didn't hear him. things were going well until he hit the ledge that had the only difficult move on the whole route and he just fell hard. i remember being able to count to 3 before he went tight on the line. he broke down after that and couldn't do any more. just refused to try. here i am in the pouring rain, sitting on the top of the cliff where the trail is that leads back down the mountain and my climbing partner wont come up. i waited and waited and finally i had to climb back down the last pitch without belay. found my buddy huddled in a ball suffering from fear/early hypothermia symptoms and had to tie him to me and rappel us down using the existing bolts that were scattered throughout. told him to anchor himself on the last ledge we were at to rappel to the bottom and started rigging for last rappel. i looked over at my buddy about 5 minutes later and he was staring off into space with nothing tied from the wall to his harness. i am so lucky he didn't take a dive. last time i ever took a newbie climbing!

#3357027 - 09/12/13 03:28 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Deck78]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

That's a good one!

I did a route on the Diamond in CO with a guy that a barely knew. We flipped a coin for the two crux pitches. One was a 5.11+, over hanging finger crack, the other was a 5.10 off width, reportedly a total sandbag. I drew the offwidth. We fought over bringing a #5 Camalot, he called me a wus for wanting it and said we couldn't afford the weight. We left it behind. I'd be lying if I say I didn't have knots in my stomach thinking about that offwidth with a thousand feet of exposure. We swapped leads the first few pitches with the 2nd carrying the backpack. He cruised the finger crack in good style. 2 more pitches and we were totally committed to go up and hanging at the base of an intimidating offwidth. It started about 4 inches wide and got gradually wider as far as we could see. I manned up and stuck my fist in that crack, stacked my feet and started muscling my way up it, sliding the #4 cam with me along the way. Once the crack was too wide to accept the cam any more, I look up at ~70 feet of terrifyingly wide offwidth above me. It was not quite wide enough to put your body in, but too wide to do any kind of arm barring. I left the #4 in place with two carabiners on the rope and started gunning it in a lay back style. Problem was, I didn't anticipate the angle of the crack and my feet ended up above my head. The last 30 feet, the edge was rounded, too. Somehow, I mustered it up and gunned it to the top, somehow overcoming the fear of a 140 foot fall. I heel hooked my way onto the last move and was just about completely out of gas, looked down at the scree field 1500 feet below me and yanked myself over the ledge and projectile vomited right there Even though I did more technically demanding climbs, that was definitely the manliest lead I ever did. Freakin' offwidths were always intimidating to me. They were always graded ridiculously low, too. Want to see a 5.12 climber shake in their boots, put them on a 5.7 offwidth.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
52 registered (TNtrapper, whackmaster, Tennessee Lead, Pinwheeled, Vermin93, Master Chief, 6 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94017 Topics
1098211 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.149 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.