Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3351457 - 09/08/13 09:00 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: holstonangler]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Background - basketball, football and baseball growing up. Basketball in college.

Now - Crossfit, Oly lifting, 5k races.

Just love to be active and fit.

#3355407 - 09/11/13 12:24 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Outdoor Enthusiast]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

content Online
tried to get into lifting for a while. my main thing has been martial arts for going on 30 years. isshinryu karate, taekwon do and hapkido.

#3356698 - 09/12/13 11:12 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I've always been really good with endurance. Throughout most of my 20s, I climbed hard: Rock, Ice, Alpine and Mountaineering. That was really the foundation of my understanding of fitness. Big muscles look cool, but short of being in a situation where you have to pull a car out of the ditch or move a refrigerator, they are mostly just aesthetic. I've always been into functionality and endurance. Here's a couple of old pics:

Rock Climbing in Joshua Tree. Miss this technical challenges of rock climbing. Its a great feeling to learn to use your body in this way.

Never ending slog fest up Pico De Orizaba in Central Mexico circa 1999. 2nd highest peak in North America. Saw a Russian team tumble a few thousand feet to their deaths on that trip. Puked at the summit and had a little bought with cerebral endema due to the altitude. This trip really opened my eyes to the endurance a person needs to perform well in the outdoors. I was in shape, but my training had been done mostly in 2 hour windows and I wasn't prepared for 20 hour marathons where you had to maintain mental focus.

North Carolina granite. I used to take trips to NC several times a year as it is more adventurous climbing that TN's technical sandstone. These featureless granite slabs would really open your mind to what are considered climbable features. Learning to trust friction and not lose your head on ridiculous runs out without gear placement (i.e. potentially long falls) were great mental exercises. All of the physical conditioning in the world can't prepare you for the mental aspects of climbing granite slabs.

Summit of Mt Rainer, hurricane force winds. A buddy and I took a road trip out West, rock climbing Devil's Tower and in the Wind River range on the way out. In the last months of training for that trip, I was doing 4 hour runs, followed by 2 hours on the stair climber with a backpack, then hitting the stadium steps at the MTSU stadium with a heavy pack, then swimming laps in the pool until I couldn't take it anymore. I would do that regimen every other day and rock climb 2-3 days a week for 4-8 hours. We did Rainier in good style, though we did spend a couple of days penned down in a tent waiting out the storm.

Last couple of years have been slacking for me. Especially this Winter and Spring when I got bogged down with work, but I've been hitting it again lately and, man, do I feel better.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3356720 - 09/12/13 11:27 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

content Online
very cool poser. i was into climbing back in my college years when i was a little lighter. we used to climb at sunset rocks, savage gulf, new river gorge and looking glass rock.
cool pics.

#3356722 - 09/12/13 11:28 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

content Online
very cool poser. i was into climbing back in my college years when i was a little lighter. we used to climb at sunset rocks, savage gulf, new river gorge and looking glass rock.
cool pics.

#3356764 - 09/12/13 11:58 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
cool pics.

Yeah, I know all of those areas well. I used to love Sunset, though the Park Ranger was a real arsebag. T-Wall was my favorite TN crag. New River Gorge is cool, particularly Summerville lake in the summertime. Looking Glass... whew, I have some stories from Looking Glass. There are routes on Looking Glass that make me feel weak in the knees just thinking about 12 years later.... like, making deals with God about never climbing again if I can just get off this thing alive

#3356768 - 09/12/13 11:59 AM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

content Online
yeah a couple of the multipitch gave me the sewing machine legs.

#3356770 - 09/12/13 12:01 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

content Online
poser did you ever go up to black mtn right off the crab orchard exit. we used to boulder alot up there back in the 80's before it got so crowded.

#3356810 - 09/12/13 12:28 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
poser did you ever go up to black mtn right off the crab orchard exit. we used to boulder alot up there back in the 80's before it got so crowded.

Black Mtn, NC?

#3356881 - 09/12/13 01:25 PM Re: Fitness back ground ?? [Re: Poser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

content Online
oops sorry . place called black mtn. tn. it's right off I-40west at crab orchard in cumberland co.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (leader, ferg, W C, G8rntn, Poser, JeepKuntry, 12 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89138 Topics
1042519 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.