Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 10 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3343190 - 08/31/13 10:51 PM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Gravey]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: Gravey
. What I'm talking about is the rabid fan that to talk to them you'd think they and their entire family graduated from there. The ones who are constantly running their mouth about their team and can't name one player.

I know what you're getting at. Sports in general will have those kind of fans. The ones that wear the hat/jersey, but can't tell you who the coach is. Or like you said, name at least one player.

#3343247 - 09/01/13 12:08 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Gravey]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I think you see this more often in states that have no pro team or a really sorry pro team. Alabama, like South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia and Oklahoma, have no in-state pro team to root for. Some may even say that Tennessee has no pro team to root for either. All of these states have rabid college fans who didn't attend the University and who don't go to the games. In some states like Louisiana the big college program is more important to the residents of the state than the NFL team is. I think it's human nature that people want to root for and take pride in something, especially when it's local to them and especially when it's doing well. Nothing wrong with passionate, lifelong fans whether they go to the games or not. Bandwagon fans, on the other hand, are 2nd class citizens. ;\)

#3343273 - 09/01/13 03:19 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Vermin93]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

a football game in neyland stadium is an experience!! I love it but not during deer season.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3343380 - 09/01/13 07:47 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: stik]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

I've never been to a Wisconsin Badger game for 2 reasons, mainly I hate crowds and that leads to the 2nd reason. I don't want to pay the crazy amount of money it costs to go to a game and sit in a crowd I hate being in.

The only time I may reconsider this is when the Packers come to play the Titans, I will probably go to that game just to take pics of how nice it is and send them back to friends and family in Wisconsin. I hope its an November game with a warm sunny day, that would make it even better \:\)

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3343386 - 09/01/13 07:52 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Happy Birthday in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

content Online
Only games I have been to (Pro or College) are Bama games. Nothing like a home game in T town. Most where back in the early 80s though.

Μολων λαβε

#3343399 - 09/01/13 08:03 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: stik]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I became a Steeler fan in 1972. I'm not exactly sure why. I had been a fan of other teams before, Len Dawson's Chiefs, Johnny Unitas's Colts, and even Joe Namath's Jets...yes I am THAT old.

For no particular reason, or one that I can remember, I became a Steeler fan. They had not won any rings at that time and weren't exactly a very good team, maybe decent. It was Franco Harris's rookie season. I guess you could say that I got in "on the ground floor"....so to speak.

I met a girl in the mid 1980s whom I eventually married and remain married to her to this day. Her birth home was in Pennsylvania and one time we went up there to a wedding. I was able to get one ticket to a game between the Steelers and the Lions. So, I went.

I can not adequately describe the feeling I had when I drove through the tunnel coming in to Pittsburgh and looked across the river at THREE RIVERS STADIUM. I just can not express the feeling I had when I walked inside and stood where so many of my football heroes had played.

What was truly amazing was sitting amongst diehard fans that were much older than me back then and had been season ticket holders since the mid 1930s.....Some of these guys were in their 70s and yelling and cussing the coach, then Bill Cowher was a rookie head coach, I think. it was great! I remember seeing film of games and the fans that sat up where I was sitting and it was something that I will never forget.

Since then, I have been back several times, twice to the newer Heinz Field.

I understand the hassle that it takes to travel. The expense of tickets , food and drinks, and even the issue with drunk fans, but for a fan that bleeds (whatever colors your team is), there is no better feeling than sitting in the stadium that you watch your team play home games on the weekends....Now, I have seen the Steelers in Memphis, and Nashville quite a few times, but nothing compares to going to Pittsburgh...nothing.

Fans can be a fickled bunch. I've known all kinds. Especially those that you never knew were a fan of a particular team until they win something..lol. And those that have never bought, much less worn any team apparel.....

I think that only a true fans knows what a true fan is and only they can even try to tell you how bad it feels to lose and how great it feels to win...!

GO STEELERS!!

Oh and I'm a VOL fan, been to see them play in Knoxville twice....I hated the seats...way too small and way too steep...lol.

I'm a much bigger Steeler fan than Vol fan...lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3343406 - 09/01/13 08:08 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Gravey]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Gravey
With college football starting up one thing that has always seemed odd to me is how many fans there are of (insert your favorite team here) that seem so rabid and passionate about "their" team but have never ever been to see a game. If they're so passionate about them then why not ever go see them in person? Not picking on Alabama because they have a lot of bandwagon fans at the moment but I work with a couple of people who spew Bama this and Bama that but yet have never once seen them play live. I'm talking they wear crimson every day and have Bama stuff on their desks and vehicles and probably couldn't find Tuscaloosa with a roadmap and GPS. Again every team has fans like this. Am I the only one that thinks this is odd?

I don't think it's a qualification of fandom to have been to a live game in person. I'm unaffiliated with any college team (as my college didn't have a football program), but I've been a Broncos fan since birth. Finally went to my first NFL game in Nashville about 4 years ago. Sometimes, it's just not feasible to go.

#3343417 - 09/01/13 08:16 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

Vols fan, and yes I go. Nothing like standing at the bottom when the team comes down the hill while the band is playing rocky top.

#3343422 - 09/01/13 08:20 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: redblood]
monsterbuck07
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

Originally Posted By: redblood
i have been to quite a few pro and college games. i prefer the nfl over college but like both. even though i get some great free tickets from clients on occassion, i prefer to watch on TV. Just enjoy the game sitting in front of big screen out in th esticks than being smothered by 80,000 folks i dont know

Same reason as this guy except I coach high school football on Friday nights...it gets old being at a football field. Plus I would rather be qith my friwnds grilling at the house. Feel closer to the game on a 60 inch tv than off in the stands.

#3343441 - 09/01/13 08:33 AM Re: question about "your team" [Re: monsterbuck07]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

I go to a few vandy games football and basketball every season. Also go to a few titans games every year. I don't pay for tickets and it still costs 100$ at least. I like beer and hot dogs:)

Page 2 of 10 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (doubledownranch, bowfisher87, junebugwapiti, Big Pop, stilllookin, striperhunter90, 17 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93106 Topics
1088121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.