Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3341902 - 08/30/13 01:18 PM Worst food plot weeds
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So what weeds do you endlessly battle in your food plots? Here's my Top 10 list, in descending order of difficulty:

Foxtail, Johnsongrass, Fescue, Broomsedge, Nutsedge, Crabgrass, Annual Lespedeza, Beefsteak Plant, Horseweed, and fireweed.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3341910 - 08/30/13 01:24 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Beefsteak plant, nutsedge, and jap stiltgrass when I disk. That really the only 3 I have any issues with.

#3341912 - 08/30/13 01:26 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I don't really have a top ten because I probably don't manage my foodplots as well as some of yall. but Crabgrass is bad, Johnsongrass, Fescue, Orchid grass, sage grass(in the acidic areas) Puarilla mint(spelling?). Nimblewill, that Japanese nitwill(spelling) canada and bull thistles, lambsquaters, pigweed, pretty much everything imaginable.
I guess the one that gets on my nerves the most is the perilla mint(spelling.)

And before I knew what this mint stuff was, I let it grow and mature. I bushoggd it down in the late fall, seeds everywhere. Probably one of the biggest mistakes ever, but let me tell you a positive that was out of it. There where doves everywhere in this mint stuff eating the seeds. It may not be a big plus, but I thought it was cool. IT wasn't worth it though.

Edited by woodsman87 (08/30/13 01:30 PM)

#3341913 - 08/30/13 01:28 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I actually thought that having johnsongrass and crabgrass would be good. I see deer eat crabgrass all the time. (I think that is what they eat.) I thought Johnson grass would be good for them too, its kinda like a wild millet.
Tell me if I am wrong.

#3341929 - 08/30/13 01:46 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I actually thought that having johnsongrass and crabgrass would be good. I see deer eat crabgrass all the time. (I think that is what they eat.) I thought Johnson grass would be good for them too, its kinda like a wild millet.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Deer very rarely eat grasses of any kind (with the exception of highly hybridized agricultural "grasses" like corn and grains). Deer do not have the digestive bacteria necessary to digest grasses.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3341930 - 08/30/13 01:48 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: smstone22]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: smstone22
Beefsteak plant, nutsedge, and jap stiltgrass when I disk. That really the only 3 I have any issues with.

Do you not have issues with grasses?

The grasses are far more of a pest than any broadleaf weed in my plots. But I'm also beginning to realize much of my grass problem is due to bad timing in grass control. I'm hoping a couple of years of regular grass-specific herbicide applications across the spring and summer might greatly reduce my grass problems in the future.

#3341932 - 08/30/13 01:50 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Tell me if I am wrong.

Deer very rarely eat grasses of any kind (with the exception of highly hybridized agricultural "grasses" like corn and grains). Deer do not have the digestive bacteria necessary to digest grasses.

Did not know that. Thanks. I guess they are eating clover or something. I am no deer biologist, and I thought if cows loved crabgrass then the deer would too.

#3341935 - 08/30/13 01:53 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

One of the main reasons I don't manage my food plots is becuase I don't really know what selective herbicides to use. I plant several different things into one foodplot. If I had more land to work with, I would make differnt plots different. Im talking I mix up rape, wheat, oats, austrian peas, different clovers. I am scared to put a pre-emerge on it because i am afraid it may backfire some how.
I also do not have a seed drill, so I always disc and I know that hurts with the weeds.
But, I do the best that I know how to do and thats all I can do at this point.

#3341940 - 08/30/13 01:57 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: smstone22

Do you not have issues with grasses?

The grasses are far more of a pest than any broadleaf weed in my plots. But I'm also beginning to realize much of my grass problem is due to bad timing in grass control. I'm hoping a couple of years of regular grass-specific herbicide applications across the spring and summer might greatly reduce my grass problems in the future.

Nope, not really of any meausurable level, except jap stiltgrass. There are no grasses for a long way around me though except for some NWSG that I maintain, just woods. Anytime Ive ever seen a small patch of fescue start coming in where a bird or something has dropped seed, I just nuke it. Probably has been 2 or 3 years since Ive even seen any fescue though. I see alot of pictures on here where folks dont keep their plots maintained through the Summer. They just wait til Fall, so there is weed seed everywhere. It is rare I ever let any weed go to seed or even bloom.

#3341946 - 08/30/13 02:00 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Tell me if I am wrong.

Did not know that. Thanks. I guess they are eating clover or something. I am no deer biologist, and I thought if cows loved crabgrass then the deer would too.

The environment of a deer's stomach is very different than the environment of a cow's stomach. A cow's stomach will grow and maintain the bacteria needed to break down grasses. A deer's stomach will not support these bacteria. When you see a deer out feeding in a pasture, they are not eating the grasses (on purpose), but are attempting to pick between the grass blades to reach broadleaf plants, such as clovers and other wild legumes and forbs.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Good time Charlie, Football Hunter, catman529, DaveB, Southpaw, LSUtigers, 14 invisible) and 131 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90951 Topics
1062807 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.75 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.