#3341950 - 08/30/13 02:05 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I actually thought that having johnsongrass and crabgrass would be good. I see deer eat crabgrass all the time. (I think that is what they eat.) I thought Johnson grass would be good for them too, its kinda like a wild millet.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Deer very rarely eat grasses of any kind (with the exception of highly hybridized agricultural "grasses" like corn and grains). Deer do not have the digestive bacteria necessary to digest grasses.

Did not know that. Thanks. I guess they are eating clover or something. I am no deer biologist, and I thought if cows loved crabgrass then the deer would too.

The environment of a deer's stomach is very different than the environment of a cow's stomach. A cow's stomach will grow and maintain the bacteria needed to break down grasses. A deer's stomach will not support these bacteria. When you see a deer out feeding in a pasture, they are not eating the grasses (on purpose), but are attempting to pick between the grass blades to reach broadleaf plants, such as clovers and other wild legumes and forbs.

You said that lespedeza is also a problem. I am not in the know, but I have heard good things about this too. But that maybe for only cows, or to use as a crop to put nitrogen back in the soil for grasses.

#3341951 - 08/30/13 02:05 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: smstone22]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: smstone22
There are no grasses for a long way around me though except for some NWSG that I maintain, just woods.

That's probably the big difference. All of my largest plots are part of power-line right-of-ways, that have been in mixed grasses, forbs and young hardwood saplings for 50+ years before I started working the soil. I've probably got more than half a century's worth of grass seed in the soil.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3341962 - 08/30/13 02:12 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

You said that lespedeza is also a problem. I am not in the know, but I have heard good things about this too. But that maybe for only cows, or to use as a crop to put nitrogen back in the soil for grasses.

Many different types of lespedeza exist, from the Annual lespedezas (Kummerowia family) to the perennial varieties of lespedeza (Lespedeza family), such as the very common sericea lespedeza to the woody bicolor lespedeza. Deer rarely touch sericea lespedeza, but they will browse woody bicolor lespedeza. Deer rarely utilize the Annual lespedezas, but other animals, especially birds, will eat the seeds.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3341969 - 08/30/13 02:19 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Many different types of lespedeza exist, from the Annual lespedezas (Kummerowia family) to the perennial varieties of lespedeza (Lespedeza family), such as the very common sericea lespedeza to the woody bicolor lespedeza. Deer rarely touch sericea lespedeza, but they will browse woody bicolor lespedeza. Deer rarely utilize the Annual lespedezas, but other animals, especially birds, will eat the seeds.

I guess thats why you hear quail and turkey people say they like certian lespedezas. All I know about lespedezas is killing them in peoples yards back when I was in turf management.

Yall ever use vetch for anything? It comes up wild on place, but I hear of people planting it as well.

#3341971 - 08/30/13 02:20 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

I used to plant crown vetch quite a bit, especially in newly established food plots in poor soil, or to provide plant cover in log-loading decks.

#3341985 - 08/30/13 02:36 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Do any of you not have a problem with perilla mint? I know this is more of a common grazing weed but I have seen this starting to make an appearance elsewhere as well.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3341987 - 08/30/13 02:37 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: AT Hiker]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Do any of you not have a problem with perilla mint? I know this is more of a common grazing weed but I have seen this starting to make an appearance elsewhere as well.
Thats what we are calling beefsteak plant. Perilla frutescens

#3341998 - 08/30/13 02:46 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: AT Hiker]
woodsman87
8 Point

Same thing as beefsteak. It is my number one. Its hideous looking, good for nothing, and spreads like wildfire.

#3342010 - 08/30/13 02:52 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: smstone22
There are no grasses for a long way around me though except for some NWSG that I maintain, just woods.

That's probably the big difference. All of my largest plots are part of power-line right-of-ways, that have been in mixed grasses, forbs and young hardwood saplings for 50+ years before I started working the soil. I've probably got more than half a century's worth of grass seed in the soil.
I Have acres and acres of grassy fields to my north,it never ends with the grasses for me,but this year I just didn't get out and spray soon enough.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3342012 - 08/30/13 02:53 PM Re: Worst food plot weeds [Re: AT Hiker]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Yep,and it SUCKS! Why cant my fields get overrun with poke weed ???? \:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (kentuckylakebuck) and 71 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.