Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3338725 - 08/27/13 10:18 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: fasteddie]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

no and it seems most deer duck rather than jump. great advice stated above

#3338790 - 08/28/13 12:42 AM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: deerhunter10]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

I aim at the lower one third mark on the deer's vitals. My angle is so that my arrow will exit where I want it to. He stays still it's a good hit, or if he ducks this gives you largest room for movement.

#3339767 - 08/28/13 06:27 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: deerhunter10]
G_Man
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
no and it seems most deer duck rather than jump. great advice stated above

Yeah i meant "react" or "flinch" not a literal, vertical "jump"... but thanks for the advice \:\) seems to be a unanimous consensus for the most part.

#3339769 - 08/28/13 06:28 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: Crow Terminator]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
I've killed a bunch of deer with a bow. In my personal experience...I have very few that I can recall that didn't react to the shot in some way. The majority of which were by "ducking". I strive on having the quietest bow I can find for hunting...but it doesn't really matter. The deer in Tennessee are just so naturally skittish that even when they are at ease, they are still on edge. I've had bows that were upwards to 330 fps and still had them duck several inches at that speed. There's no bow made today that can outrun a deer's reaction time. That will only cease when bow companies produce bows that break the speed of sound. I learned early on that if you aim where you want to hit, you will hit higher than you wanted to, via the deer simply flinching/ducking just a big at the shot. So I do ALWAYS aim lower than where I want to hit.

EXCELLENT post Crow.

I agree 100 thousand percent.

Also, it gets a little easier the more you kill.

Interesting point to ponder.

I almost always aim low on deer. Everywhere I have killed them, in every state and count, I have aimed low.

THat is, until I got to Illinois.

FOr some weird reason the deer just don't duck as much.
Go figure.

I have actually aimed BELOW some of my kills and made SPINE shots!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3339774 - 08/28/13 06:34 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: 102]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I have killed more deer by aiming low at the heart , and hitting them in the lungs when they duck , than by not aiming low . The times I didn't , I ended up hitting the shoulder . If they don't duck on a heart shot , it's still a heart shot . ;\)

#3339968 - 08/28/13 09:04 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: Radar]
GOODWIN
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I'll agree. In the past I'd aim for middle of lungs and shot over many deer or would hit them too high. Several years ago I started settling my pin on a low heart shot and have had a lot more success. If the deer ducks you still hit lungs. Plus if you don't have proper form out of a tree, most people tend to shoot a little higher.
#3340695 - 08/29/13 02:19 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: GOODWIN]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Not a great bow hunter here, but have taken a few. I pretty much agree with everybody else. When I started shooting at deer with bows, I kept hitting them high or missing or just scraping their back. It took me two seasons to finally realize I need to aim low. I aim about at their "armpit", especially if the deer is real close and I am way up high. I usually hit both lungs when aiming at armpit. I have never noticed if it is the deer reacting or if my bow or myself just shoots that much higher when Im am in a treestand.

I only practice elevated now days, so my bow will be sighted in for tree stand hunting. I do not bowhunt from the ground or in ground blinds, so I don't worry about that. If I ever had to shoot off the ground, I would compensate for by sights being tuned in for treestand hunting.

#3341276 - 08/29/13 10:46 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: GOODWIN]
G_Man
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: GOODWIN
I'll agree. In the past I'd aim for middle of lungs and shot over many deer or would hit them too high. Several years ago I started settling my pin on a low heart shot and have had a lot more success. If the deer ducks you still hit lungs. Plus if you don't have proper form out of a tree, most people tend to shoot a little higher.

Yup...that last sentence was me tonight haha. Got in a stand and started shooting and noticed i was hitting high my first go around. Started walking through my "steps" while aiming and made better shots from then on. Need to put more time in that way.

#3341291 - 08/29/13 11:08 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: G_Man]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: G_Man
 Originally Posted By: GOODWIN

Yup...that last sentence was me tonight haha. Got in a stand and started shooting and noticed i was hitting high my first go around. Started walking through my "steps" while aiming and made better shots from then on. Need to put more time in that way.

It is normal to hit slightly high when shooting from elevated positions due to physics—the steeper the angle, the higher you will hit. However, poor "treestand form" can amplify those high hits—remember to bend at the waist and keep your upper body in the exact same form as you do at level ground when shooting down angles.

#3344164 - 09/01/13 09:19 PM Re: ever compensate for "jumping the string" [Re: G_Man]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I have in some situations, if you shoot long enough you will wish you had....remember shooting from steep angles from a tree requires you to shoot...aim...lower. the one thing I have learned is that deer are easy to miss the vital on steep angle shots and coupled with their ability to squat as they get ready to run is a double whammy.....my take is that you are better to aim low for both reasons esp. if the deer is "alert".

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (buckarewhohayackhack) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.