"Don't Be Where They Are, Be Where They're Gonna Be"

>------>

#333773 - 08/09/07 02:57 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Slaughter-06]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Slaughter-06,

Remember the risk of aflatoxin in the summer-time (if you are feeding corn in the summer). You could literally be desimating your adult turkey population. Aflatoxin is deadly to turkeys at only 20 parts per billion, and the "deer corn" sold at local stores generally contains 20 parts per billion of aflatoxin.

Also remember corn has little benefit to deer in summer. They do not need "energy foods" in summer, yet corn is such a "candy" to deer, they will eat corn instead of what their bodies need, which is proteins.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#334093 - 08/09/07 06:04 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Slaughter-06]
ol 'rube
8 Point

Loc: goodlettsville

this is going to b bad

#334146 - 08/09/07 06:56 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: ]
Darkthirty II
6 Point

10-4 over and out. Bait'em up and cut'em all!!
#334490 - 08/09/07 10:24 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Slaughter-06]
Team Browning
8 Point

Loc: Chattanooga

how about not feeding them? do people not read what the people who work with wild game for a living write? and I love the argument of - well ive never seen it so it must not exist and i wont stop doing something until every deer falls over dead and 4 out of 5 biologists agree what the cause was.

#334649 - 08/10/07 12:48 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: BigGameGuy]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Improved habitats will benefit all species out there that occupy that niche.

BGG or anyone else...doesn't artificial feeding cause severe damage to native habitat? I've been trying to educate myself much more on the aspects of feeding and found a study the other day that kinda explained it. Supplemental feeding in a general area around the feed sight would cause severe damage to native browse. Deer are random browsers and when a bait sight is established they focus on this location eliminating their natural pattern of random browsing. The plant life in the study responded very negatively without being browsed upon, and took a considerable amount of time to recover even after the bait sight was removed. I didn't read a whole bunch on it but plan on looking more into it. Any short summaries or any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

From what I've learned the last few months about the impacts we can cause from feeding, to me it's a no brainer. Why do it? If you work your butt off on food plots and trying to do things that benefit your local wildlife why reverse what you've just tried to accomplish by feeding.

#334750 - 08/10/07 07:10 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: 156p&y]
wcsd462
4 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

Thanks for all the replies, My motovation for posting was to see the general opinion of the members. I, like a lot of you hunt my own land, it is a fifty acre track that is half fields and half wooded, the timber was cut pryor to me buying it so I dont have the oak's that I would like to have. when I bought the property the fields were grown up with weed's and saplings,the only thing the deer had to eat was a few honeysuckles. I was seeing a few deer, mostly small does and scrub bucks. Once I cleaned up the feild's I put in about eight acres of food plot's and put in a couple of mineral stations,I also put out a couple feeders, one with protein and one with corn. I took several does and cull bucks the first couple years. After the third year I really started seeing results, the does looked bigger the fawn numbers went up and I started seeing better bucks. I realized that I was drawing the bucks off the adjacent properties. The down side to this was when it gets close to season I have to take the feeders out of the wood's and the deer go else where, properties where their are still oaks, and I dont see them again untill the rut begins, then I start seeing a few bucks crusing threw. On my property I only try take a buck that has eight points or better, which is still few and far between ,I still take the occasional doe, if they leave my property they are free game, I dont know how many times I have watched a small buck cross the fence and a few minutes later a gun shot goes off.
Which leads me to the point I have been attempting to make, I have seen the results first hand what feeding can do if done right, along with habitat restoration, I wish the T.W.R.A would leave it up to the land owner, that owns the land to manage the land as he see's fit. Properties compete for deer, and when you dont have the tools too compete you loose.
Thanks again.
NtCh GrSqCh Poplar Hill Hunter

#334778 - 08/10/07 07:26 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Slaughter-06]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

texas has been quality deer manageing for decades, feeding deer included. they do not have any problems with their herd. many states would love to have a herd like texas. i am doing all i can to improve the habitat on my land. i have planted sawtooth oaks,apple,pear and plum trees. i have planted autum olives for cover and food burning bushes for feed and i have a couple of acears of food plots witch i plant in beans and oats. by all acounts i am baitng deer, but by these means it is leagle. i have no problem with somebody feeding corn. we are running out of land for wildlife, what little remains must be maximized. oh by the way i just got my soil tests back, my ph is 5.4 the soil tester i bought at lowes said 6.5, so much for the cheap soil tester. have to spread more lime, fun fun fun.
#334806 - 08/10/07 07:42 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Team Browning]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Team Browning
how about not feeding them? do people not read what the people who work with wild game for a living write? and I love the argument of - well ive never seen it so it must not exist and i wont stop doing something until every deer falls over dead and 4 out of 5 biologists agree what the cause was.

It's just human nature Team Browning. People are going to do whatever they feel will give them the best chance of killing the deer they want to kill, no matter the consequences. And they will use any argument, even illogical ones, to justify their actions.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#334933 - 08/10/07 09:24 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: BSK]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

i do read what read what the people who work with them say. some state biolagist say in is no good some sy it is ok. just about all of the private land game biologist say it is very important to give your deer additionl feed for max herd helth, what do you think on global warming.
Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
26 registered (ruger7mag, dralarms, KubotaM4900, Great White Stalker, bigjohn, TN Larry, 7 invisible) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90926 Topics
1062497 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.