Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3339263 - 08/28/13 11:31 AM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: mike243]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Ok uni your post wasn't there when I started typing, awe heck, Im leaving mine \:\) lol

#3339306 - 08/28/13 12:23 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: mike243]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

no, he went silent.

#3339322 - 08/28/13 12:35 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

I am not a great fan of the TWRA, but there can be no doubt they have done some great things and it is a rare thing that I run into a "bad" officer, the warden at Laurel Hill being the only exception and if I was his boss and had been standing there he would have been fired and I was only hanging out in the little store by the lake, not being checked or anything, it was that bad. I wish there was a way to truly do something about the asian population and the fisheries, there is no doubt they do not care about game laws and from I what I have heard some are doing the same thing with deer, I cannot prove it but I have heard that there is a group of Asians, laotians, or some foreign designation that are killing every deer they can on Percy Priest. These people come from a completely different culture and have no concept of conservation or game laws. Part of it I know is some things are hard to catch, but below the dams should be fairly easy to police, they are there most everyday at most every dam in this state and bordering states.

Mr. Nicely, no doubt, has a personal agenda and if you don't agree with him then you are an enemy and he will lie and decieve at every chance to get what he wants.

#3339376 - 08/28/13 01:08 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: -DRM-]
Monty
6 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
I have to wonder why some of you are so willing to fawn all over the TWRA?

I don't want to get into a flaming exchange with you about your opinion that some are fawning over the TWRA because we support the Agency in much of what they do and object to cheap shots directed at them by individuals who have agendas other than sound wildlife management. Management actions that are intended to benefit the resource and the public as a whole (of which we are important members and their enabling legislation requires them to do). I certainly respect your right to a differing opinion, but would not categorize my overall satisfaction with the Agency as fawning, which to me implies total, unchallenged, unquestioning acceptance of whatever they do or don't do. That is not the case, and I apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted your comment.

I support the Agency because I have worked with many of their staff since the early '70's and found them to be caring, dedicated professionals who really do try to do what they believe is best for the resources first and foremost and then the public. Many of the complaints I've heard about the Agency have been based on inaccurate information, including some outright, intentional misrepresentations of the facts.

Like so many on here, while I do not always agree with the Commission's or Agency's positions, I do believe, overall, that they do an excellent, difficult job. Some staff make mistakes, and my experience with both Director Myers and, especially, Director Carter has been they have not tried to hide the truth and have done their best to "fix" the problem. Calling the Agency out in a constructive way on valid problems and concerns is totally appropriate and necessary; however, intentionally misrepresenting the facts about them is an entirely different matter altogether.

I don't know, but would like to find out, if you have had a different experience than mine. From the tone of your post, it seems you may have had an issue that was not handled in a satisfactory manner. You're welcome to PM me about it, if you'd like.

#3339383 - 08/28/13 01:15 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

I've been hammering him this morning on his Twitter account, and even directly asked him we hasn't he resigned because we, the sportsmen of Tennessee, have requested that numerous times that he do the same. Of course, nothing but crickets.

#3339430 - 08/28/13 01:42 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Headhunter
10 Point

I just sent this on facebook since he hasn't responded

I take your lack of a reply to mean that hopefully you understand how wrong you are and breaking the law is not the right thing to do. It has been illegal to keep wildlife as pets for as long as I can remember. The TWRA also did not make the arrest on the councilman, that came as a result of the councilman not showing up in court for a misdemeanor charge. I hope to see a public apology from you soon if you are a honest politician.

#3339781 - 08/28/13 06:44 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: Monty]
Monty
6 Point

It's getting even better - the following is from a Channel 6 reporter in Knoxville [who is from Chicago and lists his interests as cooking, traveling, and working out (when he get time and motivated)] and the story was picked up by Channel 2 in Nashville. Copy Speaker Ramsey with your concerns, I am.

State Senator Frank Niceley calls for TWRA overhaul
Posted: Aug 27, 2013 12:50 PM CST
By DREW GARDNER
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - State Senator Frank Niceley is calling for an overhaul of the TWRA after what he calls an abuse of power. The senator says some of the recent accusations in the news are only the tip of the iceberg.

You may have seen the video of the Gallatin man and his pet raccoon Rebecca showering together and you may have heard of Rebecca's subsequent seizure after the TWRA caught wind of the situation.

Perhaps you also saw the 6 News story earlier this month about Buddy the deer, a family pet of sorts of Verlin and Lorene McCarty. Buddy came and went from the Powell family's home, but was later taken away and killed by TWRA officials.
These are only two examples of what Senator Niceley says is an agency out of control.

"It's bad press after bad press," said Niceley. "They are out of control. They abuse people. They use no discernment."
Niceley says he receives several complaints a month from constituents being harassed by the agency and fined for minor offenses.

"They've drawn their agency too big, and now the hunters license and the money from them won't sustain them. They're trying to evidently balance their budget with fines for fishermen and sportsmen."
Niceley is now calling for a complete overhaul of the agency.
"The TWRA answers to no one. They have their own board and they have control of the board so it's an agency controlling their own agency."

He wants to remove that free-standing power and make the agency answer to the legislature like other state departments.
"If that's good enough for our children's education it's good enough for the possum cops."

Niceley also wants the agency's police powers revoked so they can begin policing the wildlife instead of his constituents.

#3339785 - 08/28/13 06:51 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: Monty]
Monty
6 Point

FYI, my emails back to the reporter at Channel 6 (Gardner) and the news director at Channel 2 (Zelkind).

Mr. Gardner,
I have been involved extensively with wildlife management programs, agencies, and personnel at the national, international, federal, state, and local levels for well over 45 years. During that time I have also worked for a U.S. Senator in D.C. and with many different media types. The majority of the media professionals with whom I've interacted have displayed an objective, balanced approach to researching and reporting their stories - a few fall short. I find your piece on TWRA to be in the latter category, unfortunately. Unfortunately for everyone involved - you as an experienced reporter, the agency that is being attacked and denied the opportunity to express their side, and us as recipients of the one-sided, poorly researched piece that seriously lacks objectivity.

I do not want to be overly critical of your story; however, the glaring imbalance between reciting only the accuser's side of the issue while denying readers/viewers the opportunity to hear the agency's perspectives is quite unfair and unappreciated. Such lop-sided, incomplete reporting is, IMO, a major reason so many Americans today have lost or are losing their confidence in the mainstream media. Slanting stories for whatever motive in whatever topic is simply not as professional as one would expect from well educated, experienced reporters like you apparently are.

It would not have taken much more of your time to have contacted the TWRA's Director's office and perhaps a well-respected wildlife conservation organization, such as the Tennessee Wildlife Federation, and explored the issue in a more objective, detailed manner. The end result would most likely have been a better story that demonstrated your true ability and offered us the information we could use to make our own judgments about the situation. As it stands now, there is a lot of misleading misinformation that detracts from the bigger picture we readers/viewers deserve and expect from our media professionals.

(E-mail to reporter Gardner, Channel 6, Knoxville 8/28/2013)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Zelkind,
The referenced topic by Mr. Drew Gardner was posted on Channel 2's website August 27th at 12:50 p.m. CST. It is this kind of reporting that has caused so many citizens to lose confidence in the objectivity and accuracy of the media as a whole.

Regretfully, this kind of one-sided, grossly incomplete coverage leaves those of us who are interested in receiving a truly balanced story that is presented by objective, professional media personnel extremely disappointed. At the very least, and it is a woefully minimal effort at that, the reporter should have contacted the agency being attacked and provided them with the opportunity to present their side of the "story."

It seems to me that a more professional reporter and their supervisor would have taken the time to not only give the "accused" the opportunity to respond, but also to take a few minutes to do a little background checking on the accuser's prior history in the subject area. Had that been done in this case, I believe the article would be far more objective and provide readers, like me, the opportunity to decide for ourselves if the Senator's statements were accurate and motives above-board. As it stands now, I have little confidence in Channel 2's reporting integrity and accuracy; your credibility has been diminished.

How much time and trouble would it have been to make a couple of extra phone calls to treat the subject objectively and the parties involved, as well as, us viewers/readers fairly? It would be appropriate, IMO, to do now what should have been done before running the article - do a Paul Harvey and get the "rest of the story." Get at least another side of it from the agency and a knowledgeable wildlife conservation organization that is familiar with both parties, such as the Tennessee Wildlife Federation, both of which are headquartered right there in Nashville.

Respectfully,
Monty

(E-mail to: Matthew Zelkind, Station Manager & News Director - August 28, 2013 - http://www.wkrn.com/story/23268272/state-senator-frank-niceley-calls-for-twra-overhaul )

#3339852 - 08/28/13 07:54 PM Re: Niceley Calls for Director Carter's Resignation [Re: Monty]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Monty,

I will be rallying the troops on my end. I am sick and tired of stunt after stunt being used by one of our elected officials to drive his personal agenda.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
17 registered (redblood, Cottontop, redhunterZ71, varminthunter123, Tims, Harvester, 1 invisible) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95879 Topics
1122720 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.