Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3339168 - 08/28/13 10:34 AM what is too fast
caretaker
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Rufe Miller Cemetary

I did not wish to hijack Kirk`s post so I started another. Near Tragedy could be near death. Boats and motors have come along way. Both the boats and motors are being designed to go faster. At what point do we do like NASCAR and put restrictors on these fast boys. It ain`t no fun being in a 14 ft boat with a 9.9 motor and having a 20 ft 200hp bass boat swamp you. Also even a 19 to 20 foot boat can be swamped. I was on a 20 ft pontoon boat and had a high speed boat cut across in front of us. The wake came over the front of the pontoon. There are no brakes on a boat. It is a wonder that more tragedies and even death do not occur. Also I am in favor of a mandatory boater safety course. Too many idjuts operating toy they don`t know how to properly operate. Please feel free to agree or tell me to mind my own.

Stupid is as stupid does

#3339178 - 08/28/13 10:41 AM Re: what is too fast [Re: caretaker]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Dunno but when I see guys with full face helments and neck collars flying across a lake, I get out of the way! I will say I run about 50 most of the time and have a top end of 65 fully outfitted with two people on board. I test drove a 21' Blazer with a 250 merc on it. At 75 on the GPS and more to go I decided I did not need a boat that fast, ever. Went with a 18.5' and a 150hp to get me there and back and have been happy ever since.

I think everyone should take the Coast Guard boater safety course. Knowing what all those markers on the water mean can save expensive boat repairs or a life. I have taken it three times over the years.

John 15:13

#3339212 - 08/28/13 10:55 AM Re: what is too fast [Re: Unicam]
caretaker
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Rufe Miller Cemetary

I have one question. I know I never have caught any but wonder how many have caught fish trolling at 60 mph.

Stupid is as stupid does

#3339223 - 08/28/13 11:01 AM Re: what is too fast [Re: caretaker]
TNLynn
8 Point

Loc: baxter TN

I would rather have a boat come by me 60mph plus than have one come by at half throttle making a two foot wave. I have never saw a wave from a high speed boat that would even come close to swamping any boat! When they are running top speed, there isn't enough boat in the water to make much of a wave!

#3339266 - 08/28/13 11:34 AM Re: what is too fast [Re: TNLynn]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: TNLynn
I would rather have a boat come by me 60mph plus than have one come by at half throttle making a two foot wave. I have never saw a wave from a high speed boat that would even come close to swamping any boat! When they are running top speed, there isn't enough boat in the water to make much of a wave!

True, I dont like the big cruisers pushing a wall of water either, but I also get out of their way as well. We all have to share the water out there and like anything else, head on a swivel and keeping an eye out is a must. I guess my opinion of the speed demons is by almost being hit twice by them on my home lake. Both times they were running inside of the left channel marker on a sharp point.

John 15:13

#3339296 - 08/28/13 12:12 PM Re: what is too fast [Re: caretaker]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Just so you know (in case you didn't), there already is a mandatory boating safety education requirement in TN... Any Tennessee resident born after January 1, 1989 must show the TWRA-issued wallet Boating Safety Education Certificate as proof of successful completion of the TWRA Boating Safety exam. See: http://www.tn.gov/twra/boated.html My guess however is that it is only selectively enforced, so far.

Obviously that currently only applies to folks 24 yoa or younger... but age limit grows each year.

And I agree... I MUCH prefer a boat going by at 60 than at half throttle (or the infamous cruiser that's drafting a 4-foot wake).
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#3339304 - 08/28/13 12:19 PM Re: what is too fast [Re: rsimms]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I rode in a boat not long ago and we got up to 65 with plenty left.

For me, personally, that was too fast. \:D

I had total confidence in the captain but just wasn't "at ease".

It is all about personal preference and personal ABILITY.

Even the most seasoned "captains" can not see a wave or whatever and end up in trouble but no matter what there will ALWAYS be those that feel they know it all and can handle anything.

So to answer your question, for me, anything over about 20. \:D

#3339335 - 08/28/13 12:44 PM Re: what is too fast [Re: RUGER]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have rode in an Allison Bass Boat with a 250 Mercury and we were GPSing at 87 MPH. This was a dual console so the sense of speed was not as obvious as it would have been in a non console passenger side. It scared the heck out of me. When on pad, the only thing touching the water is about two foot of the transom end of the boat and the foot of the motor. So actual water contact is minimal. Had we hit a wave at that speed we probably both would have been ejected from the boat.

Driving a car is not like driving a boat. Most roads don't have continually changing topography in the same spot. Imagine driving along a familiar stretch of road in your car at 80 miles per hour and someone sneaks a ramp in the road in front of you. You will go airborne. Same with a boat if you don't see a big wave you will leave the water.

I can drive a boat at 60MPH and still react to changes in the water. You have enough reaction time get out of the throttle and trim down if you are paying attention. At 70MPH that reaction time is a lot less. Anything over 80, you are on it before you realize it.

#3339565 - 08/28/13 03:39 PM Re: what is too fast [Re: TNLynn]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TNLynn

Agreed. A bass boat at full throttle no matter how fast they are going is not throwing a wake to swamp a boat. Half throttle or the big ski boats and cruisers is what will throw a big wave.

#3339589 - 08/28/13 03:58 PM Re: what is too fast [Re: Kirk]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

.....I miss my Allison

Going fast comes at a risk, but in mature and experienced hands it is no different than any other boat on the water. I sold my Allison because I couldn't keep up with the bigger and heavier Stratos and Tritons. That's right! If you don't get first flight on morning tourney, you cant hammer through the chop like they can. And FORGET an evening tournament, 45mph felt like I was going to break the boat in half. Light and nimble only counts on flat water, and although I miss those teary eyes I was more happy on my 201 Pro XL, even if it was a boring ride.

BTW my 201 had a 225, but did not compare to the Allison... now I have a kayak LOL

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (Deerbuster1996, Ken45, Good time Charlie, backroads, Rubberduck270, Florida Cracker 971, 12 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91763 Topics
1072403 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.082 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.