Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3339070 - 08/28/13 09:10 AM Good Read on Syria
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Loose Lips on Syria

So what is the purpose of a U.S. attack? Mr. Carney elaborated... ...This is another way of saying that the attacks are primarily about making a political statement, and vindicating President Obama's ill-considered promise of "consequences," rather than materially degrading Assad's ability to continue to wage war against his own people.

...U.S. airmen should not be put in harm's way to deliver what amounts to an extremely loud diplomatic demarche. That's especially so with a "do something" strike that is, in fact, deliberately calibrated to do very little.

#3339446 - 08/28/13 01:56 PM Re: Good Read on Syria [Re: BMan]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the premise, but from different foreign policy experts I've seen interviewed, their view is that any strike against Syria would not be an attempt to weaken the Assad regime, but simply a "spanking" for using chemicals weapons, and hopefully a severe enough spanking to prevent them from using those weapons again.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3339468 - 08/28/13 02:13 PM Re: Good Read on Syria [Re: BSK]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

"We have consistently said that President Assad must lead a democratic transition or get out of the way. He has not led, for the sake of the Syrian people, the time has come for President Assad to step aside.

Barack Hussein Obama, August 16, 2012

Over a year later, Assad is still there - an embarrassment for Obama.

“We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized,that would change my calculus. That would change my equation.”

Barack Hussein Obama, August 21, 2012

One year to the day of the 'red line' statement, chemical weapons were apparently utilized.

Either Obama ineptly painted himself into a corner or really wants some sort of military strike.
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3339483 - 08/28/13 02:22 PM Re: Good Read on Syria [Re: BSK]
BMan
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the premise, but from different foreign policy experts I've seen interviewed, their view is that any strike against Syria would not be an attempt to weaken the Assad regime, but simply a "spanking" for using chemicals weapons, and hopefully a severe enough spanking to prevent them from using those weapons again.

If I had to bet on who used the chemical weapons, I say it's more likely the Al Qaeda backed rebels did. The Syrian government is winning the war; they have nothing to gain by using checmical weapons.

In effect, our out-of-toucher golfer-in-chief would be "spanking" the wrong kid.

But as long as it diverts attention from the scandals going on in our own country...

#3339495 - 08/28/13 02:33 PM Re: Good Read on Syria [Re: BMan]
R Crabtree
4 Point

Loc: East TN

Riddle me this...it's been almost a year since the benghazi attack and it would seem we still do not know with certainty exactly what happened. Yet, within a couple of days, we are certain enough about what happened in damascus to launch a military strike?

I have a bad feeling about this syria situation.

#3339556 - 08/28/13 03:34 PM Re: Good Read on Syria [Re: R Crabtree]
de novo
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BMan

If I had to bet on who used the chemical weapons, I say it's more likely the Al Qaeda backed rebels did. The Syrian government is winning the war; they have nothing to gain by using checmical weapons.

In effect, our out-of-toucher golfer-in-chief would be "spanking" the wrong kid.

But as long as it diverts attention from the scandals going on in our own country...

I would also wager on the rebels. But the truth doesn't matter in foreign affairs. There's too much money in war.

Originally Posted By: R Crabtree
Riddle me this...it's been almost a year since the benghazi attack and it would seem we still do not know with certainty exactly what happened. Yet, within a couple of days, we are certain enough about what happened in damascus to launch a military strike?

I have a bad feeling about this syria situation.

Excellent point. We have no idea what happened at our consulate in Benghazi a year ago but we know exactly for certain what happened in a small remote Syrian village a few days ago? Really?

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
121 registered (THEdonkey0515, Bow Hunter, A_Deer_Hunter, KubotaM4900, luvtohunt, scn, 11 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95910 Topics
1123029 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.