Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3339442 - 08/28/13 01:53 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: AndyW]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

Originally Posted By: AndyW
 Originally Posted By: R Crabtree
If you are riding with Tonto he'll know what to do.

Depends on where those fang marks are! \:D

What the did the Dr say....Said you gonna die.... \:D \:D

#3339466 - 08/28/13 02:12 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: BSK]
Eric Kilby
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Eric Kilby

What are some real backwoods tips for getting bit by a snake? What would the proper steps to take?

Really? Instead of taking sound scientifically tested advice, you want antiquated "backwoods" advice?

The best advice, if you want to live, is:

If a snake bites you:

Remain calm.

Immobilize the bitten arm or leg, and stay as quiet as possible to keep the poison from spreading through your body.

Remove jewelry before you start to swell.

Position yourself, if possible, so that the bite is at or below the level of your heart.

Cleanse the wound, but don't flush it with water, and cover it with a clean, dry dressing.

Apply a splint to reduce movement of the affected area, but keep it loose enough so as not to restrict blood flow.

Don't use a tourniquet or apply ice.

Don't cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom.

Don't drink caffeine or alcohol.

Don't try to capture the snake, but try to remember its color and shape so you can describe it, which will help in your treatment.

Call 911 or seek immediate medical attention, especially if the area changes color, begins to swell or is painful.

Now if you DON'T want to live, then by all means, take the "backwoods" advice.

What I mean is let's say you are back in the Cherokee mountains where I frequently hunt no cell phone service and your pretty deep in the steep hollers... what steps would you take since your alone and can't walk out on a normal day without your heart pumping and you have no chance at cell phone service.

#3339471 - 08/28/13 02:16 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: Eric Kilby]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Eric Kilby
[What I mean is let's say you are back in the Cherokee mountains where I frequently hunt no cell phone service and your pretty deep in the steep hollers... what steps would you take since your alone and can't walk out on a normal day without your heart pumping and you have no chance at cell phone service.

Walk out as calmly as possible. That's all you can do. Tourniquets, icing, cutting, or anything else you do to the bite site will cause more harm than good. often times you have about 6 hours before the poison is really working in your system.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3339534 - 08/28/13 03:11 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Originally Posted By: ratsnakeboogy
Bites do happen, but 99% of people bitten are messing with the snake when bitten. I like snakes, but I don't mess with hot snakes.

99%? Really? Nope gonna call bull on that. I guess you didn't see my post yesterday of the girl bitten on the finger by a copperhead...got it while weeding her flower garden out. Never saw the snake til after it struck her. She's one of 5 local people I know that have been bitten by copperheads in the past year...none of which were messing with the snakes. In fact, two were walking and just stepped near (not on) the snakes that got them and one was moving wood from his wood pile when he got bit. One was moving an old dog house of his and got it on the hand. So that's 5 I know of that have been bitten and not messing with the snakes prior to being bitten...100% unaware of a snake being anywhere close to them.

#3339560 - 08/28/13 03:36 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: beechnut]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

Originally Posted By: beechnut

\:D \:D LOL.

http://youtu.be/pqICP295APA

#3339611 - 08/28/13 04:16 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: preds1]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Okay, I'm serious here, I read somewhere a very long time ago that by applying an electric shock to the bite area within some short time frame of being bit totally kills the venom. Then I heard it was totally thrown out as wacko science that couldn't be replicated in a lab.

As science has progressed, anyone know if this has been re-tested or is it still a bunch of hogwash?

#3339614 - 08/28/13 04:17 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: Crow Terminator]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Do not cut.
Remain calm
Ice the bite area.
Get to a Hosp. asap

That is about the extent of it. Forget about that cutting an X and sucking the venom out. The sucker is as likely to die as the sukee if he has any cuts opr sores in his mouth or dips. Besides, it does very little good.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3339705 - 08/28/13 05:24 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: AndyW]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

check your underwear as well

#3339782 - 08/28/13 06:45 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: preds1]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: preds1
 Originally Posted By: beechnut

\:D \:D LOL.
\:D

#3339820 - 08/28/13 07:37 PM Re: if a snake bites you. [Re: AndyW]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

as the diggin season opens in few days, heres my experience with poisonous snakes in the woods. copperheads are difficult to see but their venom is not as potent as rattlers. just remember the hersheys kiss marks on them to identify. timber rattlers are pertty easy to see in the woods as they will be coiled up most of the day time. the roundness of the coil will be visible from a distance ,remeber the charlie brown t-shirt mark pattern on them. just be alert you wont have any problems. all the diggers around here that i know dont wear gators or nothing, i dont either as it gets in the way. i dont kill any snakes when i encounter them in the woods as i think its bad ju-ju. just be alert and watch your step and youll be fine. im more scared of steppin on yellow jackets nest then snakes

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (catman529, ZachMarkus, Claims Rep., Dale3, Snake, keystonecop, 5 invisible) and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1089386 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.086 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.