Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3336615 - 08/26/13 01:40 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

The one time I can remember that we purposefully hunted stands under the "wrong" wind conditions was two years ago, when the wind seemed to blow hard out of the South and Southwest all season long (at least all November). Eventually, we ran out of stands positioned for predominantly S-SW winds. We started hunting stands set for W, NW, SE, and E winds, and eventually ran out of those too and had to hunt stands in the completely wrong wind direction. Our rapid decline in buck sightings that year shows what impact that had.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336684 - 08/26/13 02:31 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

No go! If I was ever faced with one single stand and I thought a good buck lived in the area, I wouldn't hunt it with a bad wind unless it was the last day of season! I cant imagine not having atleast 1 other place in mind when the winds change!
#3336689 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: turkeyhunter]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
I would have missed an opportunity to kill a mature deer. This wind thing jus lets me make an excuse not to hunt a certain stand, because the spots i hunt deer can come in any direction.

I agree turkeyhunter, its almost impossible to narrow a deer down to coming only one direction unless you know their habits and even then they will come in different sometimes, especially mature bucks. They often stay alive by not following the crowd and they have their own trails. I try to play the wind but often it will change several times while on stand. You would be dancing all over the woods trying to move with the wind. I try to stay flexible, try not to hunt the same stand more than three times, get high as I can and use scent control. I have had does bust me and blow only to call in a mature buck, so you never know.

#3336772 - 08/26/13 03:54 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
I see alot of people answering with "I will change locations"... The thing is, I do not believe that was part of the question....lol.

If you had one stand and the wind was not right, would you still go and hunt....because you would rather risk getting busted and missing out on that big deer than sit at home?
No,but I think it would be very rare that someone would only have one option,even on a very small place.My friend has 25 acres on the river,we have 7 or 8 stands,can hunt most any wind.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3337332 - 08/26/13 11:41 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Football Hunter]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

If I only had one stand and the situation was wrong for it then I would either go find a natural blind to sit behind or go on a stillhunt with the wind in my face as I make my way through thick stuff.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3337348 - 08/27/13 12:09 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: DirtyBear0311]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I did not take the question literally at first. But if I only had one stand as you said and it wasn't right I would not hunt. Your chances of killing a mature deer are pretty much over before it started. Not saying it couldn't happen but highly unlikely .

#3337473 - 08/27/13 07:22 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: deerhunter10]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

All I can say is I wish I knew where the deer were going to be or come from as well as most on here. I cannot tell you the number of stands I have that I have watched hundreds and hundreds of deer out of and if you asked me, I would tell you they will come from that direction or I have never seen a buck come from that direction, or I have never seen a buck out of that stand or I have never seen a good buck there, etc. only to hunt it in the "perfect wind" just to have the best buck I have seen there or in that area come from where he should not or walk where a deer has never walked in 20 plus years of hunting and be dead downwind of me in the "perfect wind" for that stand. I have seen old mature bucks pass up a "jungle" of a bedding area, one instance I had a lock on hung over 40' high so I could watch the area from about 200 yards, and on a "perfect wind" morning, kill a great buck after he bedded down in a bush hogged field directly downwind of my stand. The landowner told me told me he saw him there several times. I never got closer than 200 yards to that bedding area. When I think I know where the deer will be I do my best to "hunt the wind" but to me deer walk where they want to, not where the "local expert" says you will see them.

Edited by Headhunter (08/27/13 07:25 AM)

#3337478 - 08/27/13 07:28 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I killed this buck with a gun out of a stand that I hunted every single morning and evening for 12 days straight, no matter the wind or anything. He walked by downwind of me on the 13th morning and that was all it took. Field dressed 180 lbs.

#3337529 - 08/27/13 08:15 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: BSK]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
When the wind is wrong, when you can not possibly get in to your stand without boogering up the place and busting deer, or you simply realize that by location your place is not a morning stand....do you still go? Do you wait and go in the afternoon or simply stay out altogether until it's right?

I never have a single stand choice. I always have multiple stands set up for every wind direction as well as morning versus evening situation.

X2

#3337542 - 08/27/13 08:25 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: W.Seay]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

In the unlikely event that I didn't have another stand choice, I'd stay in camp and drink beer.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
137 registered (sgtwebb1, TNRifleman, ImThere, plinker22, FLTENNHUNTER1, Roost 1, 18 invisible) and 177 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91369 Topics
1068157 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.