Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3337266 - 08/26/13 10:10 PM Recommendations for Harnessess
MarlinSlayer
Spike

Loc: Collierville

Well I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to participate. I am a self-taught hunter starting my second season. I'll post the story of a turkey my son and I got solo based on the knowledge gleaned on here and youtube. (Finally managed to find the darn crop!)

I grew up in Hawaii and never hunted except for an occasional duck hunt in a neighbors blind (twice in ten years). Last year I said "the heck with it", borrowed a friends climber and just went out and started hunting public land. (All my hunting friends who promised to take me kinda never came through except one really good guy).

So I learned a lot last year with borrowed equipment...(this year I bought A Summit Viper). The harness I used last year was a HSS vest which was nice and I thought I might want to get something like that...maybe the one with the reversible blaze orange....so I wouldnt need to don one more item of clothing. But now I am thinking that I might want to be able to trade out outer layers in the stand as I heat up or cool down. I'm saving the harness that came with the stand for when one of my kids joins me in a ladder on the land I leased.

For a climber ---do you use a vest style or a minimal harness style. Do you wear it under an outer-layer and how does that work? Do you have any recommendations? Last year (Freshman year) I was gun only and got a late start. Right now I'm a gun/muzzy guy (haven't shot the Muzzy yet). Next year I will graduate and attempt to be a super elite archer ;-)

I plan on getting a tree strap with a descent line and hook on with a prussic knot. Even though I know I ought to be able to recover to the stand with a climber, I am still paranoid that since I hunt alone I might need to save myself. Though I won't be climbing the same trees all the time (remember public land) I am justifying the descent line as a dual purpose haul line for my pack.....and I'll use a regular haul-line for my gun.

I am short, and surmise that if I was to fall out of the tree, when the breakaway stitching does it s thing, and I am hanging in the harness, the length of the tether may be such that while hanging there, I couldn't reach the prussic to work it down. I'm thinking about carrying some 550 cord to use as a foot prussic to be able to tie on lower on the descent cord to step into to either work my way up to the harnesss prussic, or just cut the tether over my head and slither down. Provided I keep my keys in my vest, I'll drive home and figure out how to get my stand back later.

So...this is my plan, but I am a neophyte and want some feedback...and some recommendations.....also, bear in mind, that while I've always been in super shape, I'm not at my best.....working on losing some weight before season...and just turned 48 and am aware of my mortality.

Thanks for all the info. See longbeards shortly for the story of my first Turkey with my eldest son this spring

#3337280 - 08/26/13 10:26 PM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: MarlinSlayer]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

happy Online
Congrats on jumping in and getting to know about hunting!! I wish you the best of luck and hope you kill a monster.

I bought a HSS Ultra Lite last year. Its lighter and not as bulky as the "vest style" harnesses and i really like it. I can wear it in or on the outside of my clothes. I know some people like the ves t style and there good for the pockets and all. But there also very hot in the early bow season

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3337347 - 08/27/13 12:06 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: rem270]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Is wear a HSS tree stalker or reversible one depending on season and weather. But HSS is what I use.

#3337349 - 08/27/13 12:15 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: deerhunter10]
MarlinSlayer
Spike

Loc: Collierville

Thanks Guys.....keep it coming.....
#3337350 - 08/27/13 12:20 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: MarlinSlayer]
bigasports
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill

content Online
Muddy Outdoors vest. I switched to it from the HHS.
I love only that which they defend.
J.R.R. Tolkien

#3337368 - 08/27/13 03:43 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: bigasports]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

I've hunted 25yrs and never wore a safety harness until I promised my old man I would after years of nagging. So I bought the HSS and I hate it. Really I don't care for any of them but I need to get used to it because if I don't my son would adopt the same hunting style as he sees me doing. My only advice find the LIGHTEST one and get it. I walk a lot and the extra weight of that thing ticks me off. I think Gorilla makes a really good one that's light.
#3337462 - 08/27/13 07:13 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: deerhunter10]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

I use the HSS with a Summit rope. Been the best combination that works for me. Makes it easy to keep your rope on the tree while you are going up, hunting, and climbing down.
#3337545 - 08/27/13 08:27 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: gator-n-buck]
benellivol
4 Point

Loc: TN

Muddy
#3337573 - 08/27/13 08:47 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: benellivol]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

I use the harness and rope that came with my summit stand. I walk in with just base layer of clothes on. Put on heavy clothes once i get to tree. Hook stand on tree, then put my safety harness on and up I go. I did not use safety system for years. I thought straps and stuff was to much trouble. But after getting use to it , it is simple. my safety harness is all tangle up straped to my stand. I can now unstrap it , put it on in the dark no problem. Jus takes practice.

#3337609 - 08/27/13 09:20 AM Re: Recommendations for Harnessess [Re: gator-n-buck]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck
I use the HSS with a Summit rope. Been the best combination that works for me. Makes it easy to keep your rope on the tree while you are going up, hunting, and climbing down.

I googled summit rope. I didn't realize this was being marketed. I made the same setup with some caving rope and cord. Simply tied a double figure of 8 knot on the end and a prusik with the cord.

This has been the quietest and lightest way for me to safely climb.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (chebuck, Southpaw, stylishblueticks, wayne, Wrangler95, SALTMAN, 11 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91448 Topics
1069056 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.