Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3335259 - 08/25/13 02:51 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
When the wind is wrong, when you can not possibly get in to your stand without boogering up the place and busting deer, or you simply realize that by location your place is not a morning stand....do you still go? Do you wait and go in the afternoon or simply stay out altogether until it's right?

I never have a single stand choice. I always have multiple stands set up for every wind direction as well as morning versus evening situation.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Even on my small property I have multiple stand sites for just about any wind direction.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3335271 - 08/25/13 03:02 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I almost always have options for different wind directions. That being said, starting last season, when things weren't really what I was looking for, at least on 2 occasions, I just went Squirrel hunting on the Hatchie refuge where no deer hunting is allowed (besides 2 guns hunts) after bow season. Its pretty awesome to actually get out and hunt Squirrels in November. I've spent all my squirrel hunting time in the past either in the early season or late season, but getting out when it is prime time and the leaves are down is incredibly fun.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3335347 - 08/25/13 04:36 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Poser]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

content Online
I have multiple stand locations for morning and evening for all wind directions. If conditions are incredibly bad (swirly winds, high winds, rain, etc...), I have a few locations where I can go and sit on the ground looking at places deer are predominantly bedded in bad weather conditions (noticed specific areas where we have spooked them in the last 12 years on certain high winds). These locations are at good vantage points (for the deer). But to answer your question, no I absolutely will not hunt most of my stands if the conditions aren't quite right. Some, it's a possibility depending on my mood and time of year.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3335368 - 08/25/13 05:01 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

No, won't hunt a stand when the wind is wrong.
#3335379 - 08/25/13 05:08 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: smstone22]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

No I won't hunt a stand when the wind is wrong. I learned that lesson a long time ago. I have options for different winds.
#3335424 - 08/25/13 05:47 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

If you don't have alternate stands and you knowing all the patterns of the deer you are hunting why would you go hunt with a wind that would totally destroy your hunt? I don't go just to say I went ! I go fully expecting to kill a deer , now that being said deer don't always cooperate

#3335493 - 08/25/13 06:34 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: smstone22]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

ive never sat at homne because we set up a whole lot of stands for different winds. and we are prepared for that. now we will not know matter what go to a stand on a bad wind. but its tough on our farms and way because the wind swirls but for the most part we are extremely cautious of the wind.

#3336129 - 08/26/13 08:21 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: BSK]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
If you had one stand and the wind was not right, would you still go and hunt...

I would never put myself in that situation (only having one stand location to hunt).

With the amount of land you have, I would not think you would....but many hunters have little acreage and not much choice...

The point of the topic was to simply ask if some here can not stay at home because the lure of the hunt is too strong and will risk boogering up a location instead of sitting at home when they should.

I know back when I first started hunting I went to a paticular stand regardless.....I just could not stay away from it because of where it was located and the number of deer I saw from it on a daily basis....For weeks at a time, I hunted that stand, every day! Regardless. Actually, it was the only stand I had at the time. Back in 1974, we knew far less about deer hunting tactics, or at least I did...

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3336187 - 08/26/13 08:49 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I will try to answer the question correctly. The lure of hunting has always gotten me. I try to hunt the wind correctly, but its tough because of my hills and hollows.
The thing I need to get better at is when its 75+ degrees on a November afternoon with gusty 20+mph winds. The lure of hunting still gets me to go then. I need to back off when the odds of even seeing a doe are not that great.

#3336194 - 08/26/13 08:51 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Personally, I'll always have more than 1 stand site. If I didn't and I knew the wind was wrong for where I had a stand hung I may go anyway but hunt off the ground in a more desirable spot or even move the stand that was in the wrong location. I usually have multiple trees pre-picked out in the same area to accommodate different wind directions.

Also a lot of making the decision to go in or not depends on available hunting time. If I didn't get to hunt but a couple of weekends during the season I'd probably go anyway anyhow. Since I can hunt every day of every season I can opt out for a day or two.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
93 registered (donkey5150, Forvols, Tom L, Dale3, pastorbmp, junebugwapiti, 11 invisible) and 99 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93110 Topics
1088169 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.136 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.