Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3335363 - 08/25/13 04:58 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

I have mixed emotions about it. I started hunting running dogs in Florida. On one hand it is legal and it is a great way to get kids started hunting because when you are 8 years old and sitting in a stand if your not seeing anything it gets pretty darn boring.
That being said a group could put a serious hurting on a deer herd if they go with the "if its brown its down" like they did where I use to hunt. They would kill out the dog blocks and then the next year rally to have still hunt blocks turned into dog blocks. And this would go on every year.
But I guess in the grand schem of things I it's a legal method of killing a animal then more power to ya.

#3335370 - 08/25/13 05:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. I guess as much as I hate to say it. I get it if it is about the dogs more than the deer. I understand it's a legal way of hunting, not trying to question it, or say its wrong. Just wondering the opinions of people who have been around it more than me.

And don't get me wrong at all. Not trying to degrade anyone. People enjoy it. Just because it isnt right for me doesnt mean its not right for someone else.

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 05:17 PM)

#3335377 - 08/25/13 05:06 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Nothing like getting the old heart racing when the dogs are coming your way.... Not that easy to kill deer in front of dogs. If you are lucky enough to cut the deer off. Most of the time you have to take a running shot... \:\)

I wonder if my son's English dog will run a deer..... \:D

Edited by gator-n-buck (08/25/13 05:16 PM)

#3335384 - 08/25/13 05:16 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Where I grew up, it was the only way to hunt. Most exciting deer hunting there is. Just not feasible with today's shrinking habitat and dogs can't read posted signs.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3335385 - 08/25/13 05:17 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: bowriter]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Where I grew up, it was the only way to hunt. Most exciting deer hunting there is. Just not feasible with today's shrinking habitat and dogs can't read posted signs.

Some hunters can't either...... \:D

#3335386 - 08/25/13 05:18 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

Beautiful dog.

#3335391 - 08/25/13 05:23 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Originally Posted By: MattR
Beautiful dog.

Right after my dad got the dog for my son. My son started working full time for channel 10 and also goes to UT. The dog has not been hunted much and now is a pet.... \:\)

#3335400 - 08/25/13 05:30 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

I think people sometimes get caught up in ,"my way is the only ethical way" and don't stop to think that in other areas of the country, or world for that matter, the locals have found a way that works best for them. If it's legal, who in the heck am I to knock it?? Tradition might play heavily into their methods but the methods usually evolve from necessity. Just my opinion.
#3335422 - 08/25/13 05:46 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. I guess as much as I hate to say it. I get it if it is about the dogs more than the deer. I understand it's a legal way of hunting, not trying to question it, or say its wrong. Just wondering the opinions of people who have been around it more than me.

And don't get me wrong at all. Not trying to degrade anyone. People enjoy it. Just because it isnt right for me doesnt mean its not right for someone else.

I get that. When I moved here, its amazing to me the differences in the way people hunt. There are good sides and bad side to the differences. Where I grew up, not everybody ran deer dogs full time, but everyone has participated in it at least once. You can go to eastern NC and its probably the only place where you will see a lowrider that has been "pimped" and they have a dogbox on the back....Or you see a black guy that looks like he's straight out of Compton with big shiny wheels on a truck, only to have a dogbox in the bed of the truck and a hunt club ID badge/sticker on his back glass.....
Its a lot easier to have a place to hunt there also. I guarantee you, that if I moved to that part of the state, and not know anyone, I could be in at least 3 different clubs within 24 hours!! I know of one club right now that has 30K acres that is looking members. Its just a totally different world. TN is a great state, but if your a hound hunter (deer, coon, rabbit, or whatever), I would'nt be real excited about living here. There just does'nt seem to be the passion about hunting with dogs, that other states like NC, SC, Fla have.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3335448 - 08/25/13 06:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
MattR
8 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

I get that. When I moved here, its amazing to me the differences in the way people hunt. There are good sides and bad side to the differences. Where I grew up, not everybody ran deer dogs full time, but everyone has participated in it at least once. You can go to eastern NC and its probably the only place where you will see a lowrider that has been "pimped" and they have a dogbox on the back....Or you see a black guy that looks like he's straight out of Compton with big shiny wheels on a truck, only to have a dogbox in the bed of the truck and a hunt club ID badge/sticker on his back glass.....
Its a lot easier to have a place to hunt there also. I guarantee you, that if I moved to that part of the state, and not know anyone, I could be in at least 3 different clubs within 24 hours!! I know of one club right now that has 30K acres that is looking members. Its just a totally different world. TN is a great state, but if your a hound hunter (deer, coon, rabbit, or whatever), I would'nt be real excited about living here. There just does'nt seem to be the passion about hunting with dogs, that other states like NC, SC, Fla have.

Haha, you are right. I liked east Nc though. I do miss it sometimes. I like hunting deer in Tn better, but I liked fishing in Nc better.

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Jgard, JD1278, BGB, Mopartech, Skeeter1
13524 Registered Users
Who's Online
176 registered (jaybird62, Deer Assassin, BULL MOOSE, alwaysoutdoors, tn_duckman, junebugwapiti, 13 invisible) and 240 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13524 Members
42 Forums
98858 Topics
1161767 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.