Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3335336 - 08/25/13 04:22 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
J-WO
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK

The vast majority of properties hunters hunt don't individually sustain any amount of deer. Unless you expect to find several thousand contiguous acres, every deer you see is going to be using neighboring properties.

A 20 acre property may be the best hunting a hunter can imagine.

Well put.

#3335388 - 08/25/13 05:19 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bro
On several farms i have 1-3 acre patches of woods.I delibrately run em out a few times each year.Dont want them to feel secure there.Just almost impossible to hunt em there.

Can I come run them out for you? And would it be okay if I killed one or six while doing it?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3335408 - 08/25/13 05:37 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: J-WO]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: J-WO

The vast majority of properties hunters hunt don't individually sustain any amount of deer. Unless you expect to find several thousand contiguous acres, every deer you see is going to be using neighboring properties.

A 20 acre property may be the best hunting a hunter can imagine.

Well put.

Yep

#3335489 - 08/25/13 06:31 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I know huge deer that come off tracts 10-30 acres.

#3335580 - 08/25/13 07:28 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Thanks everyone. Such a great site. I learn so much.

Sounds like 20-30 acres or even less is ok and best if there's plenty of contiguous surrounding property hopefully QDM managed or not managed and hunted at all. Something like surrounded or adjacent to a state park or ag lands that aren't hunted.

I've always thought a good strategy if I got my hands on 20 acres or so is to QDM it and also build a sanctuary in the center of it to pull in deer that are being hunted on adjacent lands.

#3335652 - 08/25/13 07:59 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: OHVATN
Thanks everyone. Such a great site. I learn so much.

Sounds like 20-30 acres or even less is ok and best if there's plenty of contiguous surrounding property hopefully QDM managed or not managed and hunted at all. Something like surrounded or adjacent to a state park or ag lands that aren't hunted.

I've always thought a good strategy if I got my hands on 20 acres or so is to QDM it and also build a sanctuary in the center of it to pull in deer that are being hunted on adjacent lands.

One thing to factor in is wounded deer running off of a small piece of property. If you have good neighbors that will give you permission to retrieve, no problem. But, you are trespassing if you go on others property to retrieve without their permission.

#3336118 - 08/26/13 08:13 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
We have 850 acres with thickets, big hardwoods, and water. Everything you would need to hold deer you would think. I was amazed when I was getting pics of bucks on one end than seeing them later a long ways from where the pic was taken.

In 14 years of running season-long camera censuses, I've never observed a single buck that lived within the confines of my 500 acres. They all travel farther than that. And it is commonplace for us to kill an individual buck somewhere other than where he was most frequently photographed.

Quote:
That being said if every property around you didn't adopt the QDM as well then the buck you pass up on will likely go over the ridge onto the bordering property and get shot.

That's one of the most common misconceptions about QDM. Unquestionably some bucks you pass will be killed by neighbors, but not the majority.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336120 - 08/26/13 08:15 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
BSK
Non-Typical

DURING THE HUNTING SEASON, the greatest draw for a property is not some specialized or fancy food plot. It is security cover. DURING DAYLIGHT, hunter-wary deer seek sanctuary above all things.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336138 - 08/26/13 08:24 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

DURING THE HUNTING SEASON, the greatest draw for a property is not some specialized or fancy food plot. It is security cover. DURING DAYLIGHT, hunter-wary deer seek sanctuary above all things.

Too many people can't sit in a thicket seeing far less deer than they would on a food source, even though that thicket may be the bed of a Booner....get it the thicket well before daylight and sit all day. I have no doubt that the best deer that I ever killed was bedded down close to me all day and then about an hour before dark, he stood up and started walking toward the fields....bad mistake, lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3336146 - 08/26/13 08:27 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

Too many people can't sit in a thicket seeing far less deer than they would on a food source, even though that thicket may be the bed of a Booner...

Very true. Even when I'm gun hunting, if I can see more than 50 yards, I'm hunting in the wrong spot! Some of my gun stands won't allow a 25 yard shot.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Bar7mag, Steverino, HOOK) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.