Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3335215 - 08/25/13 01:49 PM Deer hunting with dogs
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

The gator buck thread about buying bucks got me thinking. When I was stationed in east Nc everyone hunted deer with dogs. They sectioned off a square area, had truck setting every 50 yards, and let the dogs loose. Then they waited until the dogs ran a deer out then it sounded like a shooting range.

Nc was thick land, there were some areas that I hunted that it took me a hour to get a couple hundred yards to my stand. I didn't like seeing deer killed after being ran to death by dogs. It wasnt fair to me.

On the other hand I hunted for two years and only saw maybe 15 deer. It is very hard hunting.

I was wondering what everyone elses opinion on this is. Im sure there has been other threads about the subject but I havent been around for them.

Edit: Meant to ask earlier, is hunting with dogs hunting or shooting?

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 05:08 PM)

#3335218 - 08/25/13 01:53 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Popcorn?
#3335258 - 08/25/13 02:45 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: EastTNHunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

If its a legal method of hunting, why complain about it? Too much discord within our ranks to run down a legal method of hunting imo. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3335290 - 08/25/13 03:22 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MUP]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I grew up in Central NC and belonged to a couple clubs in the eastern part of the state that ran dogs. I even had a couple foxhounds for a couple years. Most of those who have never done it, dont get it. Killing a deer is ultimate outcome, but for a lot of guys, its more about the dogs than the deer. Listening to the hounds, watching a pack of foxhounds come across a cutover in "stretched out" mode still sends chills down my back. Also the comraderie of the hunt is something I liked. Just laid back group of guys, lining blocks, talkin about hounds and listening to a pack of hounds putting the heat on a deer.

With that said, its a dying tradition. Too many renegades give the honest doggers a bad rep. THere's also not enough big tracts of land to do it right. One club I hunted with had 8800 continous acres and we never had problems. I personally would'nt turn out unless I had at least 1000 acres continous land. There's some huge blocks of paper land down east and a lot of clubs. I'm yet to see anything like that here.
As much as I love to hunt with dogs, I DO NOT want them on my property if I'm still hunting and that is what has created the divide between hunters in Eastern NC.
I loved it, killed a lot of deer, and got pretty decent at shooting running deer with a rifle and a shotgun, but I doubt I ever do it again, simply because the main club I hunted with, no longer exists. All the old timers passed away and land was sold. You are right about it being thick. I've hunted TN from one end to the other and I'm yet to see any where even remotely as thick as those pocosins down east. A east tn rhododendron thicket aint got nothing on a wax myrtle thicket. Unless you run'em out with dogs, you will never see'em. Scouting means nothing in that country. If you can't physically get to it, then how do you think you will kill'em? lol.

Running dogs is not for everyone, and as bad as I hate to say it, if its something you want to do, then you better be doing it in the next few years cause it will eventually be a thing of the past. My biggest wish is for people that have never done it, to be open minded about it. Its not as simple as people make it out to be and yes, there are the tresspassers and outlaws that make everyone look bad, but there are bad apples in every thing!

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3335307 - 08/25/13 03:44 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

I grew in a family where running dogs is a way of life.... My dad's hunting supply business is based on dogs. Having said all that, I personal don't own a hunting dog and my love is deer hunting from a stand..... I guess I'm the outcast in the family. I do still enjoy hearing the dogs run and if I'm in Florida for deer season, I join in the Southern tradition of dog hunting.....

The #1 reason some use, why they don't run deer with dogs in TN is that the parcels of land are not big enough in the state of TN... I'm throwing the b.s. flag since they have run bears and hogs for years in TN with dogs..... JMO

#3335316 - 08/25/13 03:58 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

I don't degrade the ones that do it. But it's not something I'd be interested in. I love killing as many deer as I can but I take enjoyment out of killing them because I outsmarted them. Deer are not dumb animals and especially bucks. That's why I feel like I've made a big accomplishment when I do kill a buck I've been after for a while.

We have a lot of land in Iowa and every year up until 2yrs ago I would always go during shotgun 1 and we would get our group together consisting of around 20-25 guys and make big drives through the timber sections. I was amazed after the first drive. 87 deer came out of the wood lot and 46 were bucks. I've killed some giant's and missed some giants too. It hit me though last trip there. I looked down at my 169 12pt and realized it wasn't my hunting skills that killed this buck. Instead it was somebody else's foot work. The excitement wasn't near as comparable as sitting in my stand here shooting a big doe. So next trip there will be out of my stand with my bow and nobody pushing deer to me. I do love taking hikes into our land here just somy great dane can do what he loves (run deer). Without a gun of course. I do use him during the season to track a wounded one though. He's 12 for 15. So don't take anything I wrote personal. Like rukiddin said it is for some people and it isn't for others.

#3335319 - 08/25/13 04:07 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poleaxe]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Not my thing, but I have no problem with it. I would probably participate in it if the invitation were extended and the circumstances surrounding it were right.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3335321 - 08/25/13 04:10 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poleaxe]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

not a fan of running deer with dogs but also know that if its leagal then more power to you.

#3335332 - 08/25/13 04:20 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: greygoose]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

I recall many a fond memory of running dogs as a kid in MS.
#3335333 - 08/25/13 04:20 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: greygoose]
J-WO
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I grew up in southern Mississippi running dogs. I didn't know anyone who actually sat in a deer stand to hunt whitetails when I was a kid, and can honestly say if it weren't for running dogs I more than likely would have never gotten into deer hunting the way I did. That being said, with age I've certainly learned to enjoy outsmarting them more than hunting with dogs,but have no problem with those who do.
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (G.Mo) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.