Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3335938 - 08/25/13 11:14 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

Originally Posted By: MattR
The gator buck thread about buying bucks got me thinking. When I was stationed in east Nc everyone hunted deer with dogs. They sectioned off a square area, had truck setting every 50 yards, and let the dogs loose. Then they waited until the dogs ran a deer out then it sounded like a shooting range.

Nc was thick land, there were some areas that I hunted that it took me a hour to get a couple hundred yards to my stand. I didn't like seeing deer killed after being ran to death by dogs. It wasnt fair to me.

On the other hand I hunted for two years and only saw maybe 15 deer. It is very hard hunting.

I was wondering what everyone elses opinion on this is. Im sure there has been other threads about the subject but I havent been around for them.

Edit: Meant to ask earlier, is hunting with dogs hunting or shooting?

I was stationed there as well and hunted in the swamps of the Croatan National Forest. I had quite a few encounters with clubs running dogs (actually it was probably the same one) but I didn't like the folks doin it. I found that safety and following regulations went right out the window. My buddy and I had a round zing right past our ears at a buck on the other side of a road for a woman behind us as we got in my truck. This happened twice. We had just returned fom a deployment from Iraq and we both drew down on this woman out of sheer reflexes. After things cooled off and word were exchanged with the shooter and different club members, they still couldn't see what they did wrong. I know that not all dog runners are like this but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. As for the sport itself, it ain't for me but I won't knock someone elses idea of a good time hunting deer....... as long as its done safe and legally.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3336157 - 08/26/13 08:33 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'll go on record as stating that, though I have done neither, I would rather hunt with dogs than hunt over bait.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3336181 - 08/26/13 08:46 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

The good ole Croatan! I quit hunting there and started hunting Holly Shelter. I think it was the hunters at the Croatan that gave me a bad perception of dog hunting. I understand the points others on here have made reagrding the subject. Those guys on the Croatan just thought they were cowboy gunsligners or something.

#3336409 - 08/26/13 11:07 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

Originally Posted By: MattR
The good ole Croatan! I quit hunting there and started hunting Holly Shelter. I think it was the hunters at the Croatan that gave me a bad perception of dog hunting. I understand the points others on here have made reagrding the subject. Those guys on the Croatan just thought they were cowboy gunsligners or something.

We had to quit hunting there and just focus on hunting Lejeune because of all the folks there just shooting wildly. Ohh well.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3336753 - 08/26/13 03:37 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Its fun,I didn't know people sat in trees to hunt deer for a couple years after I started hunting with my Uncle in SC.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3336754 - 08/26/13 03:38 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck
 Originally Posted By: Snake
 Originally Posted By: MUP
If its a legal method of hunting, why complain about it? Too much discord within our ranks to run down a legal method of hunting imo. ;\)

There you are !! If it's legal then don't bash fellow hunters .

X2
yep!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3336782 - 08/26/13 04:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Football Hunter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

If you read the old books about hunting African game from the late 1800's up to about the 1950's the method used for hunting involved locating a set of tracks and then stalking individual animals on foot until they got a shot. Those guys walked for miles and miles and worked hard for every animal they got. They felt that hunters who merely sit and wait on game to pass by aren't hunters at all.

My point is that there are huge variations in what is considered "real hunting" around the world. I think a lot of it is out of necessity because of totally different amounts of natural cover to hide game and different animals also. I would say that it's impossible to track whitetail deer successfully but the Benoit family proves that wrong. Of course they do it where there is heavy snowfall to make tracks easy to see and they have to have large tracts of land to avoid crossing 50 different properties in pursuit of one deer. Whether you are tracking, using dogs or sitting in a stand, if it's legal and you are being safe and considerate of other hunters, I have no problem with it. I did get to dog hunt one time in South Alabama. We didn't have enough hunters and I don't recall anybody getting a shot. It was pouring down rain too but I remember the excitment and anticipation I felt when I would hear the dogs bawling and headed in my direction. We were on paper company land that was so thick you would have a hard time ever seeing a deer any other way.

#3336950 - 08/26/13 06:13 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Hunter 257W]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

I really don't see that it's any different than hunting other animals with dogs. Like others have said, the only problem here is the absence of big tracts of land.
#3337158 - 08/26/13 08:34 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: morgancountry]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Originally Posted By: morgancountry
I really don't see that it's any different than hunting other animals with dogs. Like others have said, the only problem here is the absence of big tracts of land.

I'm not sure there are any bigger tracts of land in FL than TN.... If it was a problem here.... How do they bear hunt or hog hunt with dogs in TN. When deer are run by dogs, a high % of the time the deer just circles back to their area. Not sure that debate holds water... JMO

#3337466 - 08/27/13 07:17 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

Well I know a lot of the bear and hog hunting is done in the large national forests on the east side of the state, I guess you could run dogs there but good luck getting in position to shoot one. I know hogs and bear get "treed", I've never ran deer dogs but I'd imagine the deer don't stop. Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to it, I just wouldn't want dogs running across my property or lease while I'm hunting.
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (AllOutdoors, Super8, redblood, NoNtYpiCaL1, CamoGator, Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, 2 invisible) and 54 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099500 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.