Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3335215 - 08/25/13 01:49 PM Deer hunting with dogs
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

The gator buck thread about buying bucks got me thinking. When I was stationed in east Nc everyone hunted deer with dogs. They sectioned off a square area, had truck setting every 50 yards, and let the dogs loose. Then they waited until the dogs ran a deer out then it sounded like a shooting range.

Nc was thick land, there were some areas that I hunted that it took me a hour to get a couple hundred yards to my stand. I didn't like seeing deer killed after being ran to death by dogs. It wasnt fair to me.

On the other hand I hunted for two years and only saw maybe 15 deer. It is very hard hunting.

I was wondering what everyone elses opinion on this is. Im sure there has been other threads about the subject but I havent been around for them.

Edit: Meant to ask earlier, is hunting with dogs hunting or shooting?

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 05:08 PM)

#3335218 - 08/25/13 01:53 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Popcorn?
#3335258 - 08/25/13 02:45 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: EastTNHunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

If its a legal method of hunting, why complain about it? Too much discord within our ranks to run down a legal method of hunting imo. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3335290 - 08/25/13 03:22 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MUP]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I grew up in Central NC and belonged to a couple clubs in the eastern part of the state that ran dogs. I even had a couple foxhounds for a couple years. Most of those who have never done it, dont get it. Killing a deer is ultimate outcome, but for a lot of guys, its more about the dogs than the deer. Listening to the hounds, watching a pack of foxhounds come across a cutover in "stretched out" mode still sends chills down my back. Also the comraderie of the hunt is something I liked. Just laid back group of guys, lining blocks, talkin about hounds and listening to a pack of hounds putting the heat on a deer.

With that said, its a dying tradition. Too many renegades give the honest doggers a bad rep. THere's also not enough big tracts of land to do it right. One club I hunted with had 8800 continous acres and we never had problems. I personally would'nt turn out unless I had at least 1000 acres continous land. There's some huge blocks of paper land down east and a lot of clubs. I'm yet to see anything like that here.
As much as I love to hunt with dogs, I DO NOT want them on my property if I'm still hunting and that is what has created the divide between hunters in Eastern NC.
I loved it, killed a lot of deer, and got pretty decent at shooting running deer with a rifle and a shotgun, but I doubt I ever do it again, simply because the main club I hunted with, no longer exists. All the old timers passed away and land was sold. You are right about it being thick. I've hunted TN from one end to the other and I'm yet to see any where even remotely as thick as those pocosins down east. A east tn rhododendron thicket aint got nothing on a wax myrtle thicket. Unless you run'em out with dogs, you will never see'em. Scouting means nothing in that country. If you can't physically get to it, then how do you think you will kill'em? lol.

Running dogs is not for everyone, and as bad as I hate to say it, if its something you want to do, then you better be doing it in the next few years cause it will eventually be a thing of the past. My biggest wish is for people that have never done it, to be open minded about it. Its not as simple as people make it out to be and yes, there are the tresspassers and outlaws that make everyone look bad, but there are bad apples in every thing!

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3335307 - 08/25/13 03:44 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

I grew in a family where running dogs is a way of life.... My dad's hunting supply business is based on dogs. Having said all that, I personal don't own a hunting dog and my love is deer hunting from a stand..... I guess I'm the outcast in the family. I do still enjoy hearing the dogs run and if I'm in Florida for deer season, I join in the Southern tradition of dog hunting.....

The #1 reason some use, why they don't run deer with dogs in TN is that the parcels of land are not big enough in the state of TN... I'm throwing the b.s. flag since they have run bears and hogs for years in TN with dogs..... JMO

#3335316 - 08/25/13 03:58 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

content Online
I don't degrade the ones that do it. But it's not something I'd be interested in. I love killing as many deer as I can but I take enjoyment out of killing them because I outsmarted them. Deer are not dumb animals and especially bucks. That's why I feel like I've made a big accomplishment when I do kill a buck I've been after for a while.

We have a lot of land in Iowa and every year up until 2yrs ago I would always go during shotgun 1 and we would get our group together consisting of around 20-25 guys and make big drives through the timber sections. I was amazed after the first drive. 87 deer came out of the wood lot and 46 were bucks. I've killed some giant's and missed some giants too. It hit me though last trip there. I looked down at my 169 12pt and realized it wasn't my hunting skills that killed this buck. Instead it was somebody else's foot work. The excitement wasn't near as comparable as sitting in my stand here shooting a big doe. So next trip there will be out of my stand with my bow and nobody pushing deer to me. I do love taking hikes into our land here just somy great dane can do what he loves (run deer). Without a gun of course. I do use him during the season to track a wounded one though. He's 12 for 15. So don't take anything I wrote personal. Like rukiddin said it is for some people and it isn't for others.

#3335319 - 08/25/13 04:07 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poleaxe]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Not my thing, but I have no problem with it. I would probably participate in it if the invitation were extended and the circumstances surrounding it were right.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3335321 - 08/25/13 04:10 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poleaxe]
greygoose
4 Point

Loc: shelby county

not a fan of running deer with dogs but also know that if its leagal then more power to you.

#3335332 - 08/25/13 04:20 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: greygoose]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

I recall many a fond memory of running dogs as a kid in MS.
#3335333 - 08/25/13 04:20 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: greygoose]
J-WO
4 Point

I grew up in southern Mississippi running dogs. I didn't know anyone who actually sat in a deer stand to hunt whitetails when I was a kid, and can honestly say if it weren't for running dogs I more than likely would have never gotten into deer hunting the way I did. That being said, with age I've certainly learned to enjoy outsmarting them more than hunting with dogs,but have no problem with those who do.
#3335363 - 08/25/13 04:58 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

I have mixed emotions about it. I started hunting running dogs in Florida. On one hand it is legal and it is a great way to get kids started hunting because when you are 8 years old and sitting in a stand if your not seeing anything it gets pretty darn boring.
That being said a group could put a serious hurting on a deer herd if they go with the "if its brown its down" like they did where I use to hunt. They would kill out the dog blocks and then the next year rally to have still hunt blocks turned into dog blocks. And this would go on every year.
But I guess in the grand schem of things I it's a legal method of killing a animal then more power to ya.

#3335370 - 08/25/13 05:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
MattR
8 Point

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. I guess as much as I hate to say it. I get it if it is about the dogs more than the deer. I understand it's a legal way of hunting, not trying to question it, or say its wrong. Just wondering the opinions of people who have been around it more than me.

And don't get me wrong at all. Not trying to degrade anyone. People enjoy it. Just because it isnt right for me doesnt mean its not right for someone else.

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 05:17 PM)

#3335377 - 08/25/13 05:06 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Nothing like getting the old heart racing when the dogs are coming your way.... Not that easy to kill deer in front of dogs. If you are lucky enough to cut the deer off. Most of the time you have to take a running shot... \:\)

I wonder if my son's English dog will run a deer..... \:D

Edited by gator-n-buck (08/25/13 05:16 PM)

#3335384 - 08/25/13 05:16 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Where I grew up, it was the only way to hunt. Most exciting deer hunting there is. Just not feasible with today's shrinking habitat and dogs can't read posted signs.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3335385 - 08/25/13 05:17 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: bowriter]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Where I grew up, it was the only way to hunt. Most exciting deer hunting there is. Just not feasible with today's shrinking habitat and dogs can't read posted signs.

Some hunters can't either...... \:D

#3335386 - 08/25/13 05:18 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

Beautiful dog.

#3335391 - 08/25/13 05:23 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: MattR
Beautiful dog.

Right after my dad got the dog for my son. My son started working full time for channel 10 and also goes to UT. The dog has not been hunted much and now is a pet.... \:\)

#3335400 - 08/25/13 05:30 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: J-WO]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

I think people sometimes get caught up in ,"my way is the only ethical way" and don't stop to think that in other areas of the country, or world for that matter, the locals have found a way that works best for them. If it's legal, who in the heck am I to knock it?? Tradition might play heavily into their methods but the methods usually evolve from necessity. Just my opinion.
#3335422 - 08/25/13 05:46 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. I guess as much as I hate to say it. I get it if it is about the dogs more than the deer. I understand it's a legal way of hunting, not trying to question it, or say its wrong. Just wondering the opinions of people who have been around it more than me.

And don't get me wrong at all. Not trying to degrade anyone. People enjoy it. Just because it isnt right for me doesnt mean its not right for someone else.

I get that. When I moved here, its amazing to me the differences in the way people hunt. There are good sides and bad side to the differences. Where I grew up, not everybody ran deer dogs full time, but everyone has participated in it at least once. You can go to eastern NC and its probably the only place where you will see a lowrider that has been "pimped" and they have a dogbox on the back....Or you see a black guy that looks like he's straight out of Compton with big shiny wheels on a truck, only to have a dogbox in the bed of the truck and a hunt club ID badge/sticker on his back glass.....
Its a lot easier to have a place to hunt there also. I guarantee you, that if I moved to that part of the state, and not know anyone, I could be in at least 3 different clubs within 24 hours!! I know of one club right now that has 30K acres that is looking members. Its just a totally different world. TN is a great state, but if your a hound hunter (deer, coon, rabbit, or whatever), I would'nt be real excited about living here. There just does'nt seem to be the passion about hunting with dogs, that other states like NC, SC, Fla have.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3335448 - 08/25/13 06:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
MattR
8 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

I get that. When I moved here, its amazing to me the differences in the way people hunt. There are good sides and bad side to the differences. Where I grew up, not everybody ran deer dogs full time, but everyone has participated in it at least once. You can go to eastern NC and its probably the only place where you will see a lowrider that has been "pimped" and they have a dogbox on the back....Or you see a black guy that looks like he's straight out of Compton with big shiny wheels on a truck, only to have a dogbox in the bed of the truck and a hunt club ID badge/sticker on his back glass.....
Its a lot easier to have a place to hunt there also. I guarantee you, that if I moved to that part of the state, and not know anyone, I could be in at least 3 different clubs within 24 hours!! I know of one club right now that has 30K acres that is looking members. Its just a totally different world. TN is a great state, but if your a hound hunter (deer, coon, rabbit, or whatever), I would'nt be real excited about living here. There just does'nt seem to be the passion about hunting with dogs, that other states like NC, SC, Fla have.

Haha, you are right. I liked east Nc though. I do miss it sometimes. I like hunting deer in Tn better, but I liked fishing in Nc better.

#3335477 - 08/25/13 06:21 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Lost Lake]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Lost Lake
I think people sometimes get caught up in ,"my way is the only ethical way" and don't stop to think that in other areas of the country, or world for that matter, the locals have found a way that works best for them. If it's legal, who in the heck am I to knock it?? Tradition might play heavily into their methods but the methods usually evolve from necessity. Just my opinion.

Ding... Ding.... Ding.... We have a winner... Hunting deer in different parts of the country may cause different styles of hunting depending on the density and terrain..... \:\)

#3335515 - 08/25/13 06:48 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MUP]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: MUP
If its a legal method of hunting, why complain about it? Too much discord within our ranks to run down a legal method of hunting imo. ;\)

There you are !! If it's legal then don't bash fellow hunters .

#3335593 - 08/25/13 07:35 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Snake]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Snake

X2

#3335651 - 08/25/13 07:59 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
MattR
8 Point

I wasnt "bashing" anyone. I was wanting opinions. Different strokes for different folks. Guess I should not of opened this can of worms.

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 08:03 PM)

#3335685 - 08/25/13 08:11 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

I wasnt "bashing" anyone. I was wanting opinions. Different strokes for different folks. Guess I should not of opened this can of worms.

Nope... Some people know nothing else and their way doesn't mean it's right.... \:\)

#3335704 - 08/25/13 08:19 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
volunteer1
4 Point

Loc: east tn

I lived in Eastern NC for quite a while and got to experience hunting deer with dogs. I enjoyed ti and would do it again, it's just another aspect of hunting. I lived in the outer banks and the woods/swamps are thick around that area. Fishing was good too!
#3335731 - 08/25/13 08:32 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck
Beautiful dog.

Right after my dad got the dog for my son. My son started working full time for channel 10 and also goes to UT. The dog has not been hunted much and now is a pet.... \:\)

Send him to me LOL I won't let him run deer. He will come back with a few scars though

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3335752 - 08/25/13 08:41 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: fredfred]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: fredfred
Beautiful dog.

Send him to me LOL I won't let him run deer. He will come back with a few scars though

I'm not sure he would make a good bear dog.... LOL

#3335761 - 08/25/13 08:44 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

content Online
He'll see a lot more hogs than Bear. English males are gritty as they come normally

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3335773 - 08/25/13 08:48 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: fredfred]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: fredfred
He'll see a lot more hogs than Bear. English males are gritty as they come normally

I knew that.... \:\) This dog is off the chain.... If he get's loose.... He's on the run. Didn't make a good coon dog because he would have problems with other dogs on the tree,,, \:\)

#3335938 - 08/25/13 11:14 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

The gator buck thread about buying bucks got me thinking. When I was stationed in east Nc everyone hunted deer with dogs. They sectioned off a square area, had truck setting every 50 yards, and let the dogs loose. Then they waited until the dogs ran a deer out then it sounded like a shooting range.

Nc was thick land, there were some areas that I hunted that it took me a hour to get a couple hundred yards to my stand. I didn't like seeing deer killed after being ran to death by dogs. It wasnt fair to me.

On the other hand I hunted for two years and only saw maybe 15 deer. It is very hard hunting.

I was wondering what everyone elses opinion on this is. Im sure there has been other threads about the subject but I havent been around for them.

Edit: Meant to ask earlier, is hunting with dogs hunting or shooting?

I was stationed there as well and hunted in the swamps of the Croatan National Forest. I had quite a few encounters with clubs running dogs (actually it was probably the same one) but I didn't like the folks doin it. I found that safety and following regulations went right out the window. My buddy and I had a round zing right past our ears at a buck on the other side of a road for a woman behind us as we got in my truck. This happened twice. We had just returned fom a deployment from Iraq and we both drew down on this woman out of sheer reflexes. After things cooled off and word were exchanged with the shooter and different club members, they still couldn't see what they did wrong. I know that not all dog runners are like this but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. As for the sport itself, it ain't for me but I won't knock someone elses idea of a good time hunting deer....... as long as its done safe and legally.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3336157 - 08/26/13 08:33 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I'll go on record as stating that, though I have done neither, I would rather hunt with dogs than hunt over bait.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3336181 - 08/26/13 08:46 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

The good ole Croatan! I quit hunting there and started hunting Holly Shelter. I think it was the hunters at the Croatan that gave me a bad perception of dog hunting. I understand the points others on here have made reagrding the subject. Those guys on the Croatan just thought they were cowboy gunsligners or something.

#3336409 - 08/26/13 11:07 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

The good ole Croatan! I quit hunting there and started hunting Holly Shelter. I think it was the hunters at the Croatan that gave me a bad perception of dog hunting. I understand the points others on here have made reagrding the subject. Those guys on the Croatan just thought they were cowboy gunsligners or something.

We had to quit hunting there and just focus on hunting Lejeune because of all the folks there just shooting wildly. Ohh well.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3336753 - 08/26/13 03:37 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Its fun,I didn't know people sat in trees to hunt deer for a couple years after I started hunting with my Uncle in SC.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3336754 - 08/26/13 03:38 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Snake

X2
yep!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3336782 - 08/26/13 04:01 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Football Hunter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

If you read the old books about hunting African game from the late 1800's up to about the 1950's the method used for hunting involved locating a set of tracks and then stalking individual animals on foot until they got a shot. Those guys walked for miles and miles and worked hard for every animal they got. They felt that hunters who merely sit and wait on game to pass by aren't hunters at all.

My point is that there are huge variations in what is considered "real hunting" around the world. I think a lot of it is out of necessity because of totally different amounts of natural cover to hide game and different animals also. I would say that it's impossible to track whitetail deer successfully but the Benoit family proves that wrong. Of course they do it where there is heavy snowfall to make tracks easy to see and they have to have large tracts of land to avoid crossing 50 different properties in pursuit of one deer. Whether you are tracking, using dogs or sitting in a stand, if it's legal and you are being safe and considerate of other hunters, I have no problem with it. I did get to dog hunt one time in South Alabama. We didn't have enough hunters and I don't recall anybody getting a shot. It was pouring down rain too but I remember the excitment and anticipation I felt when I would hear the dogs bawling and headed in my direction. We were on paper company land that was so thick you would have a hard time ever seeing a deer any other way.

#3336950 - 08/26/13 06:13 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Hunter 257W]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

I really don't see that it's any different than hunting other animals with dogs. Like others have said, the only problem here is the absence of big tracts of land.
#3337158 - 08/26/13 08:34 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: morgancountry]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Originally Posted By: morgancountry
I really don't see that it's any different than hunting other animals with dogs. Like others have said, the only problem here is the absence of big tracts of land.

I'm not sure there are any bigger tracts of land in FL than TN.... If it was a problem here.... How do they bear hunt or hog hunt with dogs in TN. When deer are run by dogs, a high % of the time the deer just circles back to their area. Not sure that debate holds water... JMO

#3337466 - 08/27/13 07:17 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

Well I know a lot of the bear and hog hunting is done in the large national forests on the east side of the state, I guess you could run dogs there but good luck getting in position to shoot one. I know hogs and bear get "treed", I've never ran deer dogs but I'd imagine the deer don't stop. Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to it, I just wouldn't want dogs running across my property or lease while I'm hunting.
#3337707 - 08/27/13 10:24 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MUP]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

no to mention people that knock it and never try it

never done it but would have no issue doing it provided it is legal in the state

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3337720 - 08/27/13 10:30 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: morgancountry]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Grew up doing it, had my own dogs and all in Alabama. Quit in 2001 and only briefly joined a club in 2003.

I'll have to say, I've never hunted with any of these outlaw types I read so much about. Considering the hundreds of dog hunters I've hunted with, you think I'd run across a few.

I know of a few, don't get me wrong.

In my experiences, which is a lot I would think, dog hunters ( atleast the hundreds I've been involved with) are the least greedy bunch of folks I know. They share meat with each other, are happy about a kill, don't matter who, what, where and are 100x more family oriented than 90% of the clubs out there.

That's my experiences with lots of clubs, either as member, guest or neighbor.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3337735 - 08/27/13 10:40 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

Hunting deer with dogs is not easy. But can be fun. Much easier to kill deer still hunting than dogging them in my opinion. In the early 80's there was a huge round up of illegal hunters useing dogs in southern wayne co. Complete with undercover officers, agents etc...

#3337739 - 08/27/13 10:41 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: turkeyhunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

To each his own! Where legal, either choose to participate or quietly do it your own way! Absolutely NO reason to run it down, just don't do it if you don't like it!
#3337745 - 08/27/13 10:49 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: Winchester]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

I lived in NC till i was 6, and then moved to Alabamam till i was 15. Back to NC till college. Hunted every year in alabama, but we didnt have a plcae to hunt in NC. I went to a friends family land in Northeast NC once, and the club next to them ran dogs. The stand i sat on I could see their land across a good sized, deep creek. I shot a deer on our side of the creek about 930, and I have to say, it was the most eventful and exciting morning i have ever had. Listening to the dogs was absolutley incredible.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#3337748 - 08/27/13 10:51 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: morgancountry]
MattR
8 Point

Shouldn't have started this thread. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was putting anyone down and sorry if it was taken that way.

#3337787 - 08/27/13 11:09 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

Shouldn't have started this thread. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was putting anyone down and sorry if it was taken that way.

Nothing wrong with a good debate.... We can all learn from good debates.

Most of the time if you find hunters against another hunting method. In most cases it's because they have never done it or was thought to hunt in a manner that they think is the only way to hunt.

Well, there are all types of methods to hunt deer in the U.S. Can we really say one is better than the other when they all work and give the hunter enjoyment?

Dog hunters are a different breed and most of these guys really don't care if they even get a shot a deer and it's a social way to hunt. They just like to hear their dogs run and if somebody else shoots the deer. They don't really care.

I have no problems with the rules or regs. in TN and like deer hunting the way it is. I'm also not going to bash other methods of hunting just because it's not the way I choose to hunt.

Carry on and remember.... Hunting should be fun.... \:\)

#3337814 - 08/27/13 11:24 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: gator-n-buck]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Think of rabbit hunting on steriods. I think deer dog hunting is more about the dogs than the hunters or the kill. I see nothing at all wrong with it. I would love to have the oppurtunity to go.
#3337820 - 08/27/13 11:28 AM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: woodsman87]
MattR
8 Point

LET IT DIE!!! LOL

#3337867 - 08/27/13 12:08 PM Re: Deer hunting with dogs [Re: MattR]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
16 Point

LET IT DIE!!! LOL

Once you open the can of worms.... Not always so easy to get those little jokers on the hook without getting your hands messy.... \:D

Edited by gator-n-buck (08/27/13 12:09 PM)

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (Lincoln Co Archer, duckriver, 1bow4me, slagtown_dfa, TIGGREM2, Poser, 9 invisible) and 216 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85377 Topics
1031650 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.221 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.