Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3336279 - 08/26/13 09:42 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: smstone22]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have been told that "you cannot that spot or that particular situation because of the wind or whenever the wind is in the wrong direction". I do not pay much attention to what others tell me when it comes to that. I hunt anyways and many times I do not see anything, why I don't know, but I guess the know it alls will say it was because of the wind but many of my deer I have killed and some of my best bucks I have killed hunting exactly where the "experts" say you cannot kill a deer there becuase of the wind or wind patterns.

#3336285 - 08/26/13 09:44 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: woodsman87]
Headhunter
10 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I will try to answer the question correctly. The lure of hunting has always gotten me. I try to hunt the wind correctly, but its tough because of my hills and hollows.
The thing I need to get better at is when its 75+ degrees on a November afternoon with gusty 20+mph winds. The lure of hunting still gets me to go then. I need to back off when the odds of even seeing a doe are not that great.

I have seen some great deer and killed many on hot, windy days in November. Windy days are my favorite.

#3336305 - 08/26/13 09:55 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Mike Belt]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Bad wind? I hunt another stand

during gun season's we have a couple of commerical shooting houses
that I can keep everything closed up until ready for shooting, one is i a bottom that requires keeping them that way most of the time. Mainly its the deer feeding right by shooting house that we worry about, bucks that we shoot usually are along edges due to the layout of the land that doesn't allow them to scent check the whole bottom, they visually check it

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3336340 - 08/26/13 10:17 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Headhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
 Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I will try to answer the question correctly. The lure of hunting has always gotten me. I try to hunt the wind correctly, but its tough because of my hills and hollows.
The thing I need to get better at is when its 75+ degrees on a November afternoon with gusty 20+mph winds. The lure of hunting still gets me to go then. I need to back off when the odds of even seeing a doe are not that great.

I have seen some great deer and killed many on hot, windy days in November. Windy days are my favorite.

I killed a nice buck on Thanksgiving evening when it was about 60-70 degrees and windy. I was just thinking I might could help myself if I didn't hunt these low odd days.
And windy days are my least favorite.

#3336464 - 08/26/13 11:59 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: woodsman87]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

content Online
How to u know which way the deer will come from. One of my biggest bucks came in the wrong way last year. I was hunting a stand that no way i would consider without a southwest wind. All conditions where good except he came in from opposite direction. Not in rut, not bumped my way, just walked straight at me. I could see my breath going straight at this 13 pt. He finally turns at an angle at 30 yds so I could shoot. I did shower and practice scent control. My point is if wind had been nw , i would not have hunted that stand. I would have missed an opportunity to kill a mature deer. This wind thing jus lets me make an excuse not to hunt a certain stand, because the spots i hunt deer can come in any direction.

#3336468 - 08/26/13 12:04 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: turkeyhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
How to u know which way the deer will come from. One of my biggest bucks came in the wrong way last year. I was hunting a stand that no way i would consider without a southwest wind. All conditions where good except he came in from opposite direction. Not in rut, not bumped my way, just walked straight at me. I could see my breath going straight at this 13 pt. He finally turns at an angle at 30 yds so I could shoot. I did shower and practice scent control. My point is if wind had been nw , i would not have hunted that stand. I would have missed an opportunity to kill a mature deer. This wind thing jus lets me make an excuse not to hunt a certain stand, because the spots i hunt deer can come in any direction.

Yep. Most of my spots are in places where they can come from anywhere, but I try to get them to where I know which way will be most likely for them to come. You got to have a little luck like in your case.
And I have never hunted the mid-West, but I am sure it aint like it is around here. UP there it is more fields than woods/thickets like it is here, therefor I believe it is easier to set up on a woodlot or thicket waiting for the deer to come out to feed.

#3336473 - 08/26/13 12:07 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: smstone22]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

If all my stands did not work with the wind on a day I planned to hunt, I would rather sneak in downwind and sit under a random tree than stay at home. Also during the early morning before the sun is up, it seems the wind is unpredictable anyway.

...since last deer season

#3336539 - 08/26/13 12:48 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Hate to say it but I have hunted when the wind was wrong and the time of day was wrong. No telling how many times I have tipped a deer off. I have sat in a tree and cursed myself for being so dumb as to hunt the stand when I knew the wind was wrong. But like Adam, I am mortal and can and will screw up. Unfortunately I will do it again.
#3336566 - 08/26/13 01:03 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: catman529]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Originally Posted By: catman529
If all my stands did not work with the wind on a day I planned to hunt, I would rather sneak in downwind and sit under a random tree than stay at home. Also during the early morning before the sun is up, it seems the wind is unpredictable anyway.

Agree

#3336586 - 08/26/13 01:13 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: turkeyhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter

Great post. It is very rare I know where the deer are exactly or where they ALWAYS be approaching from. If I did know I can't imagine the number of great bucks I could kill.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (1908_Cubbies, rooney, fourwheeler431, DocT, muzzy76, ilovemuzzleloaders, 10 invisible) and 149 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93293 Topics
1089345 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.13 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.