Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3334990 - 08/25/13 10:00 AM When it's just not right?
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

When the wind is wrong, when you can not possibly get in to your stand without boogering up the place and busting deer, or you simply realize that by location your place is not a morning stand....do you still go? Do you wait and go in the afternoon or simply stay out altogether until it's right?

Does the lure of hunting force you to mess up your place?

Alot of hunters will tell you that they go because they can't kill one on the couch or they hope to get lucky and not spook that big buck they believe is in the area.

How many here have actually sat at home when things were not just right and believe that they have helped their cause by doing so?

It can be very hard to do, especially when the time of year is right and everyone else is in the stand. How many can fend off the lure of the stand and stay at home after waiting so long for the season to get here?

It only takes one hunt to kill that big deer, but it also only takes one "booger" to send him running over to the neighbors property.....

I have been quilty of both scenarios.....staying out and NOT!

The thing is that when we do go, we have no idea what damage we may have done, and when we don't go, we have no idea what we may have missed....

Welcome to what hunting is really all about..

enjoy the season!

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3335049 - 08/25/13 11:19 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
When the wind is wrong, when you can not possibly get in to your stand without boogering up the place and busting deer, or you simply realize that by location your place is not a morning stand....do you still go? Do you wait and go in the afternoon or simply stay out altogether until it's right?

I never have a single stand choice. I always have multiple stands set up for every wind direction as well as morning versus evening situation.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3335079 - 08/25/13 11:40 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Does the lure of hunting force you to mess up your place?

Nope, and will actually get out of the tree and change locations if the wind shifts rather than sit there and let my stink blow toward the deer.

#3335090 - 08/25/13 11:48 AM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Boll Weevil]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

In the mountains of E. TN the wind is never right after 15 minutes in the stand..... I stopped second guessing myself awhile back and found that it works for me. This is even after one afternoon that I checked a camera in another area and found that a very nice buck walked by that stand location, that very morning while I was hunting another location. I didn't kick myself in the butt or even cry about it. That's what makes hunting a challenge... \:\)
#3335136 - 08/25/13 12:39 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: gator-n-buck]
barkscaler
4 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

I'll change locations if the wind changes directions.I have multiple stands,so its not a problem.

#3335156 - 08/25/13 12:58 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: barkscaler]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I see alot of people answering with "I will change locations"... The thing is, I do not believe that was part of the question....lol.

If you had one stand and the wind was not right, would you still go and hunt....because you would rather risk getting busted and missing out on that big deer than sit at home?

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3335168 - 08/25/13 01:08 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I used to hunt no matter what.

After the last few years and learning more and more by having the chance to observe mature deer, I no longer hunt a stand with the wrong wind.

#3335176 - 08/25/13 01:13 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

If you had one stand and the wind was not right, would you still go and hunt...

I would never put myself in that situation (only having one stand location to hunt).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3335189 - 08/25/13 01:21 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

No I would not hunt it. Also, this year I am going to try to be a little smarter hinting the wind. If it isnt right, I have other stands on public land I can hunt. Hopefully it works out. I know last year I boogered one stand, it also was my best one. But it wasnt due to wind. It was due to yellow jackets.

It sucks not being able to hunt your favorite stand, but if situations arent right and you hunt it anyways, there is a chance it won't be your favorite stand later in the season

Edited by MattR (08/25/13 01:22 PM)

#3335191 - 08/25/13 01:21 PM Re: When it's just not right? [Re: gator-n-buck]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck
In the mountains of E. TN the wind is never right after 15 minutes in the stand..... I stopped second guessing myself awhile back and found that it works for me. This is even after one afternoon that I checked a camera in another area and found that a very nice buck walked by that stand location, that very morning while I was hunting another location. I didn't kick myself in the butt or even cry about it. That's what makes hunting a challenge... \:\)

Yep. You might can make some generalizations of the wind and hunt thermals but its always shifty.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
68 registered (Toxophilite Phil, ruger7mag, Beekeeper, David Sapp, Country1, Jcalder, 9 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95977 Topics
1123887 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.