Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3334989 - 08/25/13 09:58 AM Minimum acres to hunt
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Didn't want to hijack the other thread re how many acres do you hunt.

What do you think is the minimum number of acres and mix of features (crop, pasture, timber etc) that would sustain a decent doe herd, support fawn recruitment and provide a few 110, 120 or better bucks each year? Assume two hunters adhering to QDM practices. I know it all depends but I'm wondering if such land in TN would ever be within my means.

#3334991 - 08/25/13 10:03 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

When you asked about acres to HUNT, I think only in terms of enough acreage to hang a stand and have deer cross.....Very few small farms , even in the 100s of acres will hold deer on them 24/7.

I think the most important thing here is to pick a great ambush point where deer cross your acreage...Thusly one acre in the right spot is enough acreage to hunt....good luck!

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3335002 - 08/25/13 10:22 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Bottom Hunter]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Killed my biggest buck to date off of a 30 acre tract all hardwoods surrounded on all sides by hundreds more acres of hardwoods.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3335055 - 08/25/13 11:22 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: OHVATN
Didn't want to hijack the other thread re how many acres do you hunt.

What do you think is the minimum number of acres and mix of features (crop, pasture, timber etc) that would sustain a decent doe herd, support fawn recruitment and provide a few 110, 120 or better bucks each year?

The vast majority of properties hunters hunt don't individually sustain any amount of deer. Unless you expect to find several thousand contiguous acres, every deer you see is going to be using neighboring properties.

A 20 acre property may be the best hunting a hunter can imagine.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3335076 - 08/25/13 11:39 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

When I said I hunt one acre at a time in the other thread, I was not kidding. Don't worry about a sustaining property. All you need is the one acre they travel through on a regular basis.

I have a stand in the middle of an eight acre thicket from which I have killed 39-deer in 13-years. Last year, I killed four from it and have no idea how many I passed up. Look for the little properties everybody else passes up.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3335109 - 08/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: bowriter]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: bowriter
When I said I hunt one acre at a time in the other thread, I was not kidding. Don't worry about a sustaining property. All you need is the one acre they travel through on a regular basis.

I have a stand in the middle of an eight acre thicket from which I have killed 39-deer in 13-years. Last year, I killed four from it and have no idea how many I passed up. Look for the little properties everybody else passes up.

I concur with this. Finding a small but good property to hunt can be better than a 1000 acres. I hunted several small(5-10 acre) plots back in Wisconsin. However I was restricted to no bucks on most of them, they just wanted the does numbers down. But I always saw some incredible buck sign but never gave them as much time as the property I hunted in the north woods because of the limitations.

One advatage we had in hunting a small property in WI was what was called right to recover and it basically said if you could not find the owner within a reasonable amount of effort you could go and get the game. But you could not carry a weapon and if it came into dispute you better be able to show you shot the animal on your property and how you tracked it there.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3335121 - 08/25/13 12:27 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Redfred16]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

content Online
On several farms i have 1-3 acre patches of woods.I delibrately run em out a few times each year.Dont want them to feel secure there.Just almost impossible to hunt em there.

#3335137 - 08/25/13 12:39 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

One of my most productive spots is a 10 acre thicket..
I don't think I have ever hunted it and not seen deer.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3335203 - 08/25/13 01:36 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Roost 1]
cozy23
6 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

I have the most potential to see/shoot deer on a 20 acre piece I have permission to hunt.
#3335323 - 08/25/13 04:13 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: cozy23]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

You can't sustain a good herd with such little acreage. You can kill the deer traveling through though. It blew my mind last year when I learned how far these animals travel. We have 850 acres with thickets, big hardwoods, and water. Everything you would need to hold deer you would think. I was amazed when I was getting pics of bucks on one end than seeing them later a long ways from where the pic was taken. That being said if every property around you didn't adopt the QDM as well then the buck you pass up on will likely go over the ridge onto the bordering property and get shot. You can have those small honey holes. I have some as little as 13 acres. But not to grow and hold big bucks. I think it would take a couple thousand acres to grow and HOLD WITHIN some trophy deer. Or maybe hire Brian to come out and prep your land for you.
#3335336 - 08/25/13 04:22 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
J-WO
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK

The vast majority of properties hunters hunt don't individually sustain any amount of deer. Unless you expect to find several thousand contiguous acres, every deer you see is going to be using neighboring properties.

Well put.

#3335388 - 08/25/13 05:19 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bro
On several farms i have 1-3 acre patches of woods.I delibrately run em out a few times each year.Dont want them to feel secure there.Just almost impossible to hunt em there.

Can I come run them out for you? And would it be okay if I killed one or six while doing it?

#3335408 - 08/25/13 05:37 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: J-WO]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: J-WO

Well put.

Yep

#3335489 - 08/25/13 06:31 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I know huge deer that come off tracts 10-30 acres.

#3335580 - 08/25/13 07:28 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Thanks everyone. Such a great site. I learn so much.

Sounds like 20-30 acres or even less is ok and best if there's plenty of contiguous surrounding property hopefully QDM managed or not managed and hunted at all. Something like surrounded or adjacent to a state park or ag lands that aren't hunted.

I've always thought a good strategy if I got my hands on 20 acres or so is to QDM it and also build a sanctuary in the center of it to pull in deer that are being hunted on adjacent lands.

#3335652 - 08/25/13 07:59 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Thanks everyone. Such a great site. I learn so much.

Sounds like 20-30 acres or even less is ok and best if there's plenty of contiguous surrounding property hopefully QDM managed or not managed and hunted at all. Something like surrounded or adjacent to a state park or ag lands that aren't hunted.

I've always thought a good strategy if I got my hands on 20 acres or so is to QDM it and also build a sanctuary in the center of it to pull in deer that are being hunted on adjacent lands.

One thing to factor in is wounded deer running off of a small piece of property. If you have good neighbors that will give you permission to retrieve, no problem. But, you are trespassing if you go on others property to retrieve without their permission.

#3336118 - 08/26/13 08:13 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Poleaxe]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
We have 850 acres with thickets, big hardwoods, and water. Everything you would need to hold deer you would think. I was amazed when I was getting pics of bucks on one end than seeing them later a long ways from where the pic was taken.

In 14 years of running season-long camera censuses, I've never observed a single buck that lived within the confines of my 500 acres. They all travel farther than that. And it is commonplace for us to kill an individual buck somewhere other than where he was most frequently photographed.

Quote:
That being said if every property around you didn't adopt the QDM as well then the buck you pass up on will likely go over the ridge onto the bordering property and get shot.

That's one of the most common misconceptions about QDM. Unquestionably some bucks you pass will be killed by neighbors, but not the majority.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336120 - 08/26/13 08:15 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: OHVATN]
BSK
Non-Typical

DURING THE HUNTING SEASON, the greatest draw for a property is not some specialized or fancy food plot. It is security cover. DURING DAYLIGHT, hunter-wary deer seek sanctuary above all things.

#3336138 - 08/26/13 08:24 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

DURING THE HUNTING SEASON, the greatest draw for a property is not some specialized or fancy food plot. It is security cover. DURING DAYLIGHT, hunter-wary deer seek sanctuary above all things.

Too many people can't sit in a thicket seeing far less deer than they would on a food source, even though that thicket may be the bed of a Booner....get it the thicket well before daylight and sit all day. I have no doubt that the best deer that I ever killed was bedded down close to me all day and then about an hour before dark, he stood up and started walking toward the fields....bad mistake, lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3336146 - 08/26/13 08:27 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

Too many people can't sit in a thicket seeing far less deer than they would on a food source, even though that thicket may be the bed of a Booner...

Very true. Even when I'm gun hunting, if I can see more than 50 yards, I'm hunting in the wrong spot! Some of my gun stands won't allow a 25 yard shot.

#3336253 - 08/26/13 09:31 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

There is no set amount of property it takes to kill a deer. All that is required of that property is a drawing card...the more drawing cards the better. That could be a relief from surrounding hunting pressure, terrain dictated travel routes, food sources, and/or security cover...and each would provide it's own attraction. If you have food the deer will come. The problem is that without adequate security cover they will feed on your property at night and be gone by daylight once you apply hunting pressure. Security cover is the major drawing card for putting deer on your place during daylight but the problem with small acreage is over pressuring it during hunting season.

If I only had small acreage to hunt and I was the sole hunter I would wait until absolute prime time hunting before stepping foot onto it (pre-rut into the rut).

#3336265 - 08/26/13 09:36 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
Security cover is the major drawing card for putting deer on your place during daylight but the problem with small acreage is over pressuring it during hunting season.

Well said.

#3336572 - 08/26/13 01:06 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

One thing I would keep in mind if buying a very small amount of land to deer hunt is how much your lands attractiveness depends on your neighbors land. You can't control neighbors and they can suddenly make big changes such as totally removing all cover. If your small property depended on deer movement in and out of that neighbors cover, you are out of luck. I would try to buy the small property in an area where most of the surrounding land was at least decent deer habitat so you are not so much at the mercy of one neighbor.
#3336601 - 08/26/13 01:27 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Excellent point Hunter_257W.

#3336692 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I hunt some incredibly small tracts here at times. A 4 acre and 8 acre tract come to mind. Granted these are surrounded by larger tracts but I only have permission on small areas, but the deer will cross them at certain places!
#3336800 - 08/26/13 04:24 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Redfred16]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Yep, I have a 32 acre lease sandwiched inbetween other properties and it is about 2-3 acres wide. You'd never believe how many deer cross that place. We found two crossing points and 2 spots where, for lack of a better description they like to hang out, and killed deer every trip last year but one.

My first trip to the property I bounced at least 4 separate groups of does within 200 yards of the road. Hardest part is not straying off the property. you can cross 3 acres pretty quick.

#3336805 - 08/26/13 04:28 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: DaveB]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

I've killed a lot of deer on small properties.
#3337174 - 08/26/13 08:41 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: 348Winchester]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

i have killed 181 4/8 net tn deer on 3 acres and usually kill atleast 7- 10 deer off it every year

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3337196 - 08/26/13 08:56 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Deer Assassin]
GoldenEagle09
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN/New Port Richey,...

I had some good luck on 10 acres last year. Had a couple nice herds of doe and saw a few nice bucks. Almost every time I was out there I saw something. Cant complain for a novice hunter
#3337398 - 08/27/13 05:16 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

Too many people can't sit in a thicket seeing far less deer than they would on a food source, even though that thicket may be the bed of a Booner...

Very true. Even when I'm gun hunting, if I can see more than 50 yards, I'm hunting in the wrong spot! Some of my gun stands won't allow a 25 yard shot.

I donotb elieve I can shoot more than 35-yards from any of my stands. During the early season, 20-yards is more likely. I love hunting thickets. It requires being more alert and ready to take quick shots but it is more exciting than shooting one at 250-yards from a shooting house. It also requires EXACT stand placement and positioning.

#3337407 - 08/27/13 05:30 AM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: bowriter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

...if I can see more than 50 yards, I'm hunting in the wrong spot! Some of my gun stands won't allow a 25 yard shot.

Originally Posted By: bowriter

I do not believe I can shoot more than 35-yards from any of my stands. During the early season, 20-yards is more likely. I love hunting thickets.

I like to hunt thickets as well, but it can be extremely aggravating too. On a place I used to hunt it was not uncommon at all to have deer within 50 yards of you, hear them plain as day, you could easily pin point there location listening to theire movement, but still NEVER see them. It would drive me insane. And, many times when you're hunting a thicket you don't have a lot of stand placement options either...so there wasn't much I could do about it.

#3338623 - 08/27/13 09:16 PM Re: Minimum acres to hunt [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

so true.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
144 registered (muddyboots, redblood, Rebel, wannabuck, jmoreland, buck3087, 12 invisible) and 225 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93990 Topics
1097956 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.