Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3335392 - 08/25/13 05:25 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: MattR
The summer pics aren't too big of a deal to me. Some places have them in summer, then come winter they are gone. Some places its the other way around. But since its out of character for your area I get the concern. Hopefully it turns out good for you.

Over the last decade, it's normal for my property to hold 12-15 summer resident bucks, of all ages, from yearling up to a mature buck or two. Yet last year, I had a grand total of 4 yearling bucks as summer residents. To say we were a bit freaked out would be an understatement! However, once the acorns began to fall and especially once the rut approached, bucks flooded the property. By the end of the year, it had been one of our best years for individual bucks using the property (39 different bucks photographed during the season), almost all of which did not show up until after the hunting season had begun.

And you had a good year last year right? Its crazy how different year to year, a single property can be. My family's place in east tn has lots of nice bachelor groups in summer time. But come hunting season, they are gone. Pf course maybe if I could give them a reason to stick around it would be different but I dont have the time to be able to work something I can only hunt 3 times a year.

#3336109 - 08/26/13 08:06 AM Re: Been a weird year [Re: MattR]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

And you had a good year last year right?

Yes it did. We killed 5 bucks, which is considerably more than usual, although we didn't get a chance to kill any of the oldest/largest bucks.

Quote:
My family's place in east tn has lots of nice bachelor groups in summer time. But come hunting season, they are gone. Pf course maybe if I could give them a reason to stick around it would be different but I dont have the time to be able to work something I can only hunt 3 times a year.

Honestly, there's very little you could do. I do not believe bachelor group members "leaving" the area and returning to their normal fall range occurs because of any problems with the property habitat-wise. This break up of male social groups and dispersal of bucks is normal deer behavior.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336605 - 08/26/13 01:32 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I've only got 1 picture of a buck this entire Spring and Summer myself. However, this is in an area where I've never run a camera before. What i find mysterious and discouraging is that I thought this was THE prime spot around the area. I have always got bachelor groups of bucks before on other parts of the property - none of which I have cameras set up on this year. Bottom line, I changed too much in my camera setup/locations to draw any conclusions as to whether buck numbers have really dropped in the area or not.

I keep telling myself that having all does has to be a good thing when the rut arrives. Also, I don't have to worry about "my" bucks wandering off if I don't have any bucks.

#3336621 - 08/26/13 01:43 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Don't put much stock in what you're seeing on trail-camera right now (or any time during the summer). What you see now, and where the bucks will be in a month, can be two completely different things. It is normal buck behavior to leave their summer range and move to a fall range that may be just hundreds of yards away or could be miles away.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3336679 - 08/26/13 02:24 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Yea I think I'm just going to start sticking them with tracking devices in the summer. Lol, just kidding. I just have wondered where they go during the fall since I was a kid. During the summer we would always see a group of 5-6 nice deer during the summer. I guess those poor guys probably end up dying of natural causes because no one hunts within a couple miles of my old house.

#3336795 - 08/26/13 04:17 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: MattR]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yea I think I'm just going to start sticking them with tracking devices in the summer. Lol, just kidding. I just have wondered where they go during the fall since I was a kid. During the summer we would always see a group of 5-6 nice deer during the summer. I guess those poor guys probably end up dying of natural causes because no one hunts within a couple miles of my old house.

They split up and all go in different directions. They only gather together in summer because the bachelor group behavior has biological advantages.

#3337018 - 08/26/13 07:06 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: BSK]
Beardendy88
4 Point

Loc: North Alabama

I talked to my neighbor today and he has 12-14 bucks on camera. And some I know so I think they must go hang out and different farms each year cuz last year he hardly saw any.
#3337027 - 08/26/13 07:12 PM Re: Been a weird year [Re: Beardendy88]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Beardendy88
I talked to my neighbor today and he has 12-14 bucks on camera. And some I know so I think they must go hang out and different farms each year cuz last year he hardly saw any.

I have no doubt that is exactly the case. Many bucks move around a lot more on a seasonal and annual basis than was originally assumed.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
63 registered (TNRifleman, Deer Whisperer, KPH, muddyboots, Poser, PinchPoint, 10 invisible) and 98 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88869 Topics
1039577 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.265 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.