Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3332780 - 08/23/13 07:20 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Hunter 257W]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Anti-numbers? I'll go right along with everyone else and say that I feel that hunting based strictly on numbers is a black eye on hunting but at the same time, we don't go to the woods to kill the smallest buck we can. In almost everything we do we strive to reach towards the top. We step up to the plate hoping to hit a home run and not strike out. We throw a bowling ball hoping for a strike and not a gutter ball. We seek a job paying good money and not minimum wage and the list goes on and on.

Most of the posts on Tndeer almost make a fellow feel guilty for going after some of the best deer in our own hunting areas.

#3332879 - 08/23/13 08:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
Most of the posts on Tndeer almost make a fellow feel guilty for going after some of the best deer in our own hunting areas.

As I've said many times, I have no problem with hunters who strive for the very best; i.e. trophy hunters. The only problem I have is the attitude of some who consider themselves trophy hunters--their arrogant dismissal of anyone who does not hunt for the same reason, their denigration of any deer killed that does not meet their personal standards, their blaming of other hunters for killing bucks before maturity hence harming their own personal opportunity for mature bucks, etc.

And you aren't that kind of trophy hunter, so no worries! \:\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3333122 - 08/23/13 12:27 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Hunter 257W]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Ever since the average hunter became aware of Boone & Crockett scores, deer hunting has turned into a numbers game. I cringe every time I see a hunter showing off a picture of a nice buck but he or she feels they have to say "it's good for around here". When I started deer hunting in the 70's there were no deer - and I don't want to ever go back to that - but I would like to see some of he old attitudes come back. Back then if you shot an 8 point you had a fantastic year. It could be a 10" spread 8 point and the guy who shot was honestly proud. I know - that describes my 1st buck!

Well stated..

#3333808 - 08/24/13 12:02 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Very good points, and I totally agree with them.

Ditto !!

#3333911 - 08/24/13 07:06 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Snake]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year. If we harvest more does and let young bucks walk we all benefit. People around my lease consistently shoot little bucks and it shows. Does all over the place and yearling bucks a plenty.

#3333914 - 08/24/13 07:08 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

By the way, I went into a home where a guy had spikes and fork horns fully mounted all over his house. I suspect him, or someone like him, is all around my lease.

#3334061 - 08/24/13 10:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year.

Perhaps their area doesn't need more does killed? We've had an excess of bucks and under-population of does in my area for a couple of years now.

Quote:
If we harvest more does and let young bucks walk we all benefit.

We've been doing that in TN for years. When only 35% of the buck harvest is yearlings, that's simply amazing.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3334589 - 08/24/13 08:19 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

As long as he killed the Spikes and Forkhorns legally on his property and not yours why should you care?
#3334980 - 08/25/13 09:47 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Right_Tackle74]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

Agree completley with article, just enjoy being out there.
#3336104 - 08/26/13 08:03 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Coach
Seems to me like those points are just givens...not sure why you'd want or need to write it down

Because as scn mentioned, few hunters actually see hunting like that anymore. Far too many hunters these days see hunting as a competition sport, with their entire identity linked to what they kill. It's all turned into a big egotistical chest pounding exercise.

True and I might add, that it's because it is our fault, all of us have a blame in that. IMO it doesnt matter if your an obsessed "trophy" hunter, a celebrity hunter, someone that leases hundreds of acres for personal hunting use, etc. All of our actions have a negative reaction somewhere down the line. Especially when we make it completely personal.

Now...how can we fix that? Simple answer, yet hard to do. I think one of the greatest things we have done recently is introduce children, women, persons with disabilities, and minorities (by that I mean older men who are typically not associated with hunting or being in the outdoors, regardless of race). This has broadened our group, unfortunately some of these "newbies" can fall victim to the "trophy" aspect of antler score if their mentor is not careful.

Another tool to help fix the problem is to broaden the term trophy. By simply including more aspects of the hunt than just the kill and quality of animal. Imagine if we all judged our experience based on a rubric that included antler score, personal growth, learning goals, publics social aspect change, contribution to agencies (TWRA) goals, etc. You see, you could kill the next world record whitetail but without focusing on the other "goals" you would basically be below average.

Maybe it is time for all hunters and agencies to broaden their scope. The incorporation of NASP, SCTP and etc are a fantastic start for the TWRA and I compliment them and other agencies/volunteers that are involved in this.

In addition I will add my take on hunting shows...I enjoy watching some of them, mainly I youtube search most of the videos, but they are purely entertainment. I know if I want to have the "success" that a lot of these shows have all I simply need to do is fork over some money. My favorite shows that are televised have fantastic videography work that highlight the raw beauty of nature, most of these shows do not portray a single kill and are provided by nat geo or discovery channel. If I was rich and could afford a production team that is the kind of hunting show I would make!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (Backstrapcrazy, WMAn, TCounty Hunter, TNGunsmoke, TN Larry, MIDDLEFORK, 9 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91341 Topics
1067859 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.