Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3333000 - 08/23/13 10:28 AM Do not rinse raw chicken
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08...mpaign=20130823

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3333845 - 08/24/13 04:22 AM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: Poser]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

I will continue to rinse mine.lots of left over parts inside i dont want flavoring my birds.

#3334184 - 08/24/13 12:56 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: mike243]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
Hmm. Poser you posted it with no comment. Personally I don't think or believe bacteria fly and rinsing a bird doesn't mean using the vegetable sprayer or dripping water all over countertops. Plus, I bet the SME is under 30 and has germophobe leanings.

If anti-washing is bad, whatcha supposed to do with raw vegetables? Seems as tho I recall that Fox lettuce problem with some kind of nasty germ was due to wild pigs peeing on the lettuce and not getting it rinsed off between harvest and table. Plus, I no like aphids in my lettuce, a common occurrence.

And does anyone think field hands South of the border wash their hands after every time they urinate in the fields?

So Poser, where you stand on his? You think she'd taste some of your Vension sausages? (you have any left over?)

#3334261 - 08/24/13 02:41 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Hmm. Poser you posted it with no comment. Personally I don't think or believe bacteria fly and rinsing a bird doesn't mean using the vegetable sprayer or dripping water all over countertops. Plus, I bet the SME is under 30 and has germophobe leanings.

If anti-washing is bad, whatcha supposed to do with raw vegetables? Seems as tho I recall that Fox lettuce problem with some kind of nasty germ was due to wild pigs peeing on the lettuce and not getting it rinsed off between harvest and table. Plus, I no like aphids in my lettuce, a common occurrence.

And does anyone think field hands South of the border wash their hands after every time they urinate in the fields?

So Poser, where you stand on his? You think she'd taste some of your Vension sausages? (you have any left over?)

Well, I generally do not rinse meat, but there are a few exceptions. I usually rinse squirrels if they have been shotgunned and/or had gut penetration, or if they get exceptionally bloody during the cleaning process. I will often rinse tenderloins and heart since they tend to get very bloody when gutting a deer.

Basically, I rinse excess blood off when needed. Chickens? I don't buy much chicken these days, but I've never felt the need to rinse them off. I do rinse vegetables (though, not very well). All that aside, I can definitely see how poultry could spread bacteria around your kitchen. Commercial poultry carries quite a bit of bacteria. Fresh venison that you bring home from the field basically has no bacteria on it. I've taken bites of raw venison before plenty of times, but wouldn't do that with a chicken. When it coms to bacteria, you don't want to mess around with chicken.

#3334369 - 08/24/13 04:43 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
I have never really thought much about rinsing meat before reading this article. I always rinse poultry and chicken...never rinse store bought beef or fish.

As for wild game and fish I guess I rinse as I am cleaning them, but can't say I ever give them another rinse upon thawing prior to cooking.

I guess I just rinse what I have always seen other people(probably starting with my parents) rinse.

#3335094 - 08/25/13 11:56 AM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: BamaProud]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

that article seems to be written by a germaphobe

#3335787 - 08/25/13 08:57 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: Poser]
Rob R.
12 Point

Loc: Collierville TN.

I rinse my chicken. And I clean up the kitchen afterwards with a Lysol product..

Patron Member of the National Rifle Association Of America

#3336837 - 08/26/13 04:49 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: Rob R.]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
Does anyone know anyone who has ever gotten ill with whatever that bacteria is that people are always warning you about related to chicken not being well cooked? I think a lot of this is germaphobia gone wild. Just like not stuffing a turkey because bacteria won't be killed during cooking. BTW, my wife cleans up after chicken prep like she was gonna do open heart surgery on the counter top right after dinner. I mean she clorox's the sink. Drives me crazy.
#3336852 - 08/26/13 04:57 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Does anyone know anyone who has ever gotten ill with whatever that bacteria is that people are always warning you about related to chicken not being well cooked? I think a lot of this is germaphobia gone wild. Just like not stuffing a turkey because bacteria won't be killed during cooking. BTW, my wife cleans up after chicken prep like she was gonna do open heart surgery on the counter top right after dinner. I mean she clorox's the sink. Drives me crazy.

I cooked an entire T-giving dinner for 10+ once and got really sick later that night. Retracing my steps, I think I mishandled the chicken that was going into the cornbread dressing. Nothing to do with cooking itself, though.

Anyway, I'd guess that the majority of food poisoning cases are due to chicken.

#3336934 - 08/26/13 05:58 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: DaveB]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online

I know a child that got Salmonella from chicken eggs...but no not from the actual meat.

As a side note why does Salmonella sound so delicious? Ebola and Listeria sound scarey as heck but Salmonella sounds like some delicious desert. we gotta rename Salmonella.

Edited by BamaProud (08/26/13 06:00 PM)

#3337323 - 08/26/13 11:17 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: BamaProud]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: BamaProud

I know a child that got Salmonella from chicken eggs...but no not from the actual meat.

As a side note why does Salmonella sound so delicious? Ebola and Listeria sound scarey as heck but Salmonella sounds like some delicious desert. we gotta rename Salmonella.

I've had it before....if you called it what it really is, it'd sound something like:

Keepapotbetweenthecouchandthecrappersoyoucanpukeonthewaytocrappingyourbrainsout \:D

As for the rinsing part, I rinse most of the packaged meats I buy to rid it of the slimy packing liquid that builds up. Chicken, pork, etc.

However, Whole Paycheck....er, Whole Foods has some air-chilled chicken that's ready to throw in the skillet. That stuff is REALLY good.

#3342826 - 08/31/13 06:13 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: catman529]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
that article seems to be written by a germaphobe

That and a lefty (NPR).

#3345056 - 09/02/13 07:56 PM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: BamaProud]
tug
Spike

Loc: wilson

I always rinse my chicken. In the sink. And I cut their little triangular butt part off, and dig out the blood stuck in the cavity. After this, the chicken has less bio-burden and a lower bacteria count. After I put the chicken on to cook I clean up my work area with a fresh batch of Clorox at about 2%. Always use a plastic cutting board.

When I see "NPR" my antenna goes up to max and my filters go to 11. My Mooshell Obama helped them with this bit of advice.

#3345396 - 09/03/13 08:05 AM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: tug]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I saw a Michael Ruhlman post on twitter last week calling this article ridiculous. I tried to find it just know, but couldn't.

#3345578 - 09/03/13 10:42 AM Re: Do not rinse raw chicken [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Here it is. Funny stuff:

http://ruhlman.com/2013/08/bacteria-run-away-run-away/

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
127 registered (BuckDropper, redhunterZ71, fairchaser, rooketnhunter, pastorbmp, Jacoprint, 14 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95815 Topics
1121806 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.074 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.