Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3329583 - 08/20/13 05:39 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

I guess you will never find a product that has 100% approval, even Thermacall.
#3329672 - 08/20/13 07:22 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: UTGrad]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

On one side of my parent's place, is a low and flat creek bottom. In rainy years (such as this one) it has lots of standing water that skeeters find a haven to. Those years are especially bad for getting "ate up" by them. I've been there before when the woods where just a constant "hummmm" where you could hear them by the millions; and in some cases, you could look up into the sky and just see little dark clouds of them. It reminds me of seeing them on TV when they would be in Canada or Alaska on bear hunts. I've been in those woods many days and came out looking like I had chicken pox all over again from the skeeter bites. Since finding the Thermacell, it's something that rarely leaves the belt side while visiting over there or going to work on stands. You've got to have it on even while sitting at a picnic table or something in their yard in the evenings, or the skeeters just wont leave you alone.
#3330103 - 08/21/13 06:58 AM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Radar]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Radar
If you tried it on the lake and the boat was moving under the power of a trolling motor , that may have been the problem . They work better in a stationary position . Try one in a tree stand , then get back with us .....

I have. As a matter of fact I have used it in a treestand, on the deck at supper time, in the backyard while working on a boat, dove hunting, etc. I also traded it in once for a new one. I understood you had to see the flame lit for it to work. In my opinion you couldn't give me one. I haven't ever really had trouble with mosquitoes anyways while hunting, but I tried it a couple times with clothes that were washed a couple of times, no permanone spray, and just the thermacell, won't do that again. It is not that big a deal, but I spray all my clothing and hats well with permanone and then let them completely dry and long before thermacell ever came out I haven't had trouble with mosquitoes. I got it more for camping, working outside in the summer and I burn the mosquitoe repelling candles because the thermacell doesn't work. Sorry I bashed the world's most favorite product, but I did and will again. I tell anyone who asks me that everyone but me thinks it is a great product.

Edited by Headhunter (08/21/13 07:00 AM)

#3330106 - 08/21/13 07:03 AM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Several friends who swear by it have gottnen out the thermacell out at a crawfish boil (my brother has one or 2 every spring) and they just say "well it works while I am hunting". I think it almost attracts mosquitoes. The flame was lit. Happened more than once.

#3330232 - 08/21/13 08:26 AM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Headhunter]
TJS209
8 Point

Loc: West Tennessee, US

Thermacell works well for me.
#3330878 - 08/21/13 06:39 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Headhunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
If you tried it on the lake and the boat was moving under the power of a trolling motor , that may have been the problem . They work better in a stationary position . Try one in a tree stand , then get back with us .....

I have. As a matter of fact I have used it in a treestand, on the deck at supper time, in the backyard while working on a boat, dove hunting, etc. I also traded it in once for a new one. I understood you had to see the flame lit for it to work. In my opinion you couldn't give me one. I haven't ever really had trouble with mosquitoes anyways while hunting, but I tried it a couple times with clothes that were washed a couple of times, no permanone spray, and just the thermacell, won't do that again. It is not that big a deal, but I spray all my clothing and hats well with permanone and then let them completely dry and long before thermacell ever came out I haven't had trouble with mosquitoes. I got it more for camping, working outside in the summer and I burn the mosquitoe repelling candles because the thermacell doesn't work. Sorry I bashed the world's most favorite product, but I did and will again. I tell anyone who asks me that everyone but me thinks it is a great product.

I use permenone/ permethrine as well on my clothes . It Keeps ticks off my clothes , but doesn't keep skeeters off my face or exposed skin. You tend to disagree with most everyone on this post , so I won't argue with you . It really makes no difference to me if it doesnt work for you , as long as it works for me and the 98% of others who use one .

#3330918 - 08/21/13 07:19 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Radar]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I use permenone/ permethrine as well on my clothes . It Keeps ticks off my clothes , but doesn't keep skeeters off my face or exposed skin. You tend to disagree with most everyone on this post , so I won't argue with you . It really makes no difference to me if it doesnt work for you , as long as it works for me and the 98% of others who use one .

I completely agree Radar
Permethrin works great on clothes but not so great where its not at
Therma cell Works great imo
You all should try Off's cilp on Mosquito repellent with the fan i really liked it and think it worked as good as my thermacell while hunting

#3330951 - 08/21/13 07:49 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: ImThere]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

Therma cell works good for me. It does take about 15 minutes to really take full affect.

#3331517 - 08/22/13 08:42 AM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Dolan82]
Headhunter
10 Point

I only have just over 20 years with Permanone and have almost never had a problem with mosquitoes while bowhunting and I would guess I hunt more than most anyone, no matter the weather. The mosquitoes do not bother my exposed skin when my clothes are sprayed. I was really hoping the thermacell would work more for work around the house but no luck there.

#3334713 - 08/24/13 10:08 PM Re: Mosquito Control during Bow [Re: Headhunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
I only have just over 20 years with Permanone and have almost never had a problem with mosquitoes while bowhunting and I would guess I hunt more than most anyone, no matter the weather. The mosquitoes do not bother my exposed skin when my clothes are sprayed. I was really hoping the thermacell would work more for work around the house but no luck there.

I also have about 20 years experience with permethrin and I have never seen it affect mosquitoes. go figure

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
156 registered (Food Plot 101, TN Larry, 444 Fan, muddyboots, eastTN270, buckslayer85, 13 invisible) and 241 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96143 Topics
1125741 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.