Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3330170 - 08/21/13 07:39 AM White House slavery
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

... Hundreds of interns have filed lawsuits or raised complaints over working long hours for free. But one group of former interns is sidestepping the courtroom and going straight to the White House to fight for fair compensation.

The Fair Pay Campaign, a grassroots lobby set to launch around Labor Day, is calling on President Obama to pay White House interns in order to set an example for other government agencies and private employers.
http://wtkr.com/2013/08/20/white-house-under-pressure-to-pay-its-interns/

#3330276 - 08/21/13 08:53 AM Re: White House slavery [Re: Crappie Luck]
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

What happened to our work ethic in this country? I worked 3 unpaid internships while I was in college. Two of them I actually had to pay college tuition while working so I could complete my degree. I worked a fourth after graduating because I wanted to learn more. It was hard work and it sucked but I learned a lot and gained many valuable contact for later. This "trophy for showing up generation" is worthless and needs to learn the value of work.

My Training Journal
http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Like my farm on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#3330294 - 08/21/13 09:10 AM Re: White House slavery [Re: JWW4]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

What I have a problem with is this Administration publicly attacking retail and small businesses about paying a "Living wage" and supporting the fast food workers who want $15.00 per hour to flip burgers but uses unpaid interns for their own offices.

It's the hypocrisy that I can't stand.
You are correct about the work ethic and entitlement mentality as well.

#3330361 - 08/21/13 10:15 AM Re: White House slavery [Re: JWW4]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: JWW4
What happened to our work ethic in this country?

BIG GOVERNMENT has all but destroyed it by making it too lucrative to simply do nothing.

While there is merit in some government benefits, most of them have been under the guise of goodness, when their primary purpose has been more to "buy" votes for career politicians' power-mongering. As our government has grown, so have the rewards for personal failures, so have the punishments for personal successes ---- seems it's what some would call bassackwards.

And few things have been more understated, with so little attention given, than the hypocrisy of these same government "leaders" who themselves do just the opposite (often illegally) from what they demand of the common man.

Yes, they demand a "living wage" be paid by small businesses, yet they pay interns nothing. Yes, they demand others pay more taxes, while they are the biggest group of tax cheats. Yes, they demand you ride a bicycle to reduce carbon emissions, while they ride a jet just to have lunch in some far away city.

Much of the political corruption begins with re-election efforts of politicians. Our country was founded on a citizen government void of career politicians. The wisest of people were expected to "serve" their country for a relatively short period of time. This worked well, and propelled the United States of America into the most innovative and productive FREE ENTERPRISE system the world had ever known. A free people, a small government with citizens serving, the role of federal government being very limited, mainly to protect our borders and our Constitution via a federal judiciary.

Hard to believe our federal income tax wasn't even started until our country had been around about 150 years --- and then it began as only a 1% tax on the very wealthiest of Americans, with the politicians' promise that this would only be accessed at this low rate on the very wealthy, never on the Middle Class. But the past 100 years have brought exponential tax growth to fund the exponential growth of federal bureaucracy, and even that has not been enough, as our "leaders" have technically bankrupted our country with debt, a debt the current generation does not have the work ethic to pay.

But more sadly, underlying our BIG GOVERNMENT, are the people who cast their votes for its continuance and growth, allowing themselves to be "bought" by our politicians. Most people know this system is corrupt, where government steals from one group mainly to buy the votes of another group. Ironically, our federal government was founded on the idea of "Uniting" us. Today, career politicians purposefully "divide" us solely for their personal political gain.

IMO, the only way to turn this ship around is to casts our votes for a smaller federal beauracracy, term limits for polticians, 1-term limit for a President (no re-election).

#3330382 - 08/21/13 10:23 AM Re: White House slavery [Re: Wes Parrish]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

For engineering and many other work fields, the old adage is: A degree without an internship is useless. The internship is part of paying dues and learning that is an extension of college education. There are some internships that are paid, but some that are not. If pay was required, many students would have a useless degree since employeers would not offer as many internships...
#3330397 - 08/21/13 10:32 AM Re: White House slavery [Re: EastTNHunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Don't these folks know that the WH is still dealing with the Sequester? O can't even pay for WH tours and these greedy folks are wanting paid for their internships? What is this world coming to?

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3330619 - 08/21/13 02:05 PM Re: White House slavery [Re: MUP]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just to be clear, I have no problems with internships. I have a problem with politicians who put their greedy power-mongering ahead of our country, and hypocritically accuse others of being "greedy".

But back to why the current generation cannot see much need for a work ethic . . . . . . . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/...nimum-wage-job/

"Welfare pays more than a minimum-wage job in 35 states, creating little incentive for Americans to take entry-level work and likely increasing their long-term dependency on government help . . . . . . "

This is EXACTLY what career politicians need, the masses dependent on the power-mongering politicians, who increase their personal power by growing government bureaucracy, "dumbing" down the masses, and destroying all the things that made America excel like no other country in world history.

Oh, as they purposefully and politically correctly "dumb" down our public education system, they themselves send their own children to the best of private schools --- just more of of their "Do as I say, not as I do" arrogance.

And the answer is not to increase minimum wage. Government setting wages is part of what has created our problems.

#3330621 - 08/21/13 02:08 PM Re: White House slavery [Re: MUP]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: MUP
Don't these folks know that the WH is still dealing with the Sequester? O can't even pay for WH tours and these greedy folks are wanting paid for their internships?

Any taxpayer's monies that can be found are to be used to fund the 1st Family's next vacation. Tell the kids to just eat some cake.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (TN RDG RNR, 8up, fourwheeler431, backwoods7, Actionfishing, drrxnupe, 1 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88992 Topics
1041067 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.258 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.