Topic Options
#3329983 - 08/20/13 11:53 PM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Well, one of the reasons I'm not walking fast or running is my dang feet hurt!!
Been wearing Nike Shox...broke down this evening and bought Brooks Glycerine 10's!! Those dang things feel GREAT on my feet!!! Hopefully they'll get my dang feet moving faster \:\)

What running shoes are the runners wearing?

The ones that fit.

Buying running shoes is like buying a gun. There are different types for different strides, and each brand offers a little something different. It is highly recommended that you get properly fitted at a running store to get the best shoe for your stride. The three things you must ALWAYS accept when it's time to buy running shoes are that they're going to cost at least $100, they're going to be hideously ugly, and they won't last more than 6 months.

GET PROPERLY FITTED! Big-box retail stores don't have the running knowledge, and are likely selling you shoes you may or may not need because of a commission structure. I will be happy to help direct anyone to find the best shoe they can get their feet into......I've got a good bit of experience with it.

Friend of mine who is an aerobics teacher, female triathlon runner, etc...said the same. I actually got a deal on a great shoe so I figured it was a step up from the crap I normal put on my feet without going to the stores that actually video tape your run and check your feet etc.. If I can tell a diff in these from the old crap I've always bought I may very well get to fleet feet etc and truly get fitted..

Do you ever come to Memphis?

#3329990 - 08/21/13 12:09 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Of ALL places to buy running shoes...Gander Mountain in Jackson has these Brooks Glycerine 10's on closeout for 69 bucks... Next best price I could find was a 100 bucks for a 159 dollar retail shoe

Good deal if they fit your style.....but I pity you if you're an over-pronator or flat footed.

There are (3) general types of running shoes, and they're generally not interchangeable. They address the types of pronation in your stride, which describes the degree to which you transfer weight from your heel to the ball of your foot. The condition of your shoe's bottom sole, as well as the cushion material underneath the footbed can be a good indicator as to the type of shoe you require.

Suppenation (under-pronation) generally means you strike on the outside of your heel, and roll through the outside of your foot towards your pinkie toe. Typically, this stride is common in high arched people, and doesn't cause long-term joint problems.

Neutral strides will strike somewhere in the middle to outside of the heel, and roll through the center of their foot.

Pronating (or over-pronation) is one of the leading causes of running injuries, mostly to the knees and ankles. It means your stride transfers weight too dramatically, causing you to push off from the inside of your arch. Heavier runners (new runners losing weight), generally big folks, and flat footed people are most often over-pronators.

Now, the types of shoes:

Cushion/Neutral shoes: these don't have much in the way of arch support of any type. Arch support is generally seen as a plastic insert or a denser, gray-ish foam in the sole. These should only be used by lighter, faster, runners who require little in the way of pronation correction. Shoes that fall into this category are most often the most stylish shoes, as they're generally the sleekest looking.

Stability Shoes: these are the most commonly sold shoes, as many runners appreciate the feel of some (or substantial) arch support, thick soles and comfortable footbed. THey provide little to some pronation support, but aren't designed to resist much roll-over.

Motion-Control: These are generally big, bulky, and often the most expensive shoes. If you have moderate to severe over-pronation, this is where you need to be. These shoes are constructed with pretty high insteps, and are built to "push" your foot back to keep you from rolling too much. They are generally the most expensive because of the amount of material and construction types needed to beat and fight your elephant foot back into submission. If you have flat feet, your knees hurt, and/or the inside of your shoe is squashed flat, suck it up Stampy, you're getting the most expensive shoes on the market.

Any questions?

#3330016 - 08/21/13 03:11 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: TAFKAP]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

Asics Kayano are the best running shoes I've ever had
Toyota
Apple

#3330056 - 08/21/13 05:53 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Been wearing Nike Shox...broke down this evening and bought Brooks Glycerine 10's!! Those dang things feel GREAT on my feet!!! Hopefully they'll get my dang feet moving faster \:\)

The ones that fit.

Buying running shoes is like buying a gun. There are different types for different strides, and each brand offers a little something different. It is highly recommended that you get properly fitted at a running store to get the best shoe for your stride. The three things you must ALWAYS accept when it's time to buy running shoes are that they're going to cost at least $100, they're going to be hideously ugly, and they won't last more than 6 months.

GET PROPERLY FITTED! Big-box retail stores don't have the running knowledge, and are likely selling you shoes you may or may not need because of a commission structure. I will be happy to help direct anyone to find the best shoe they can get their feet into......I've got a good bit of experience with it.

Friend of mine who is an aerobics teacher, female triathlon runner, etc...said the same. I actually got a deal on a great shoe so I figured it was a step up from the crap I normal put on my feet without going to the stores that actually video tape your run and check your feet etc.. If I can tell a diff in these from the old crap I've always bought I may very well get to fleet feet etc and truly get fitted..

I do

#3330059 - 08/21/13 05:56 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Of ALL places to buy running shoes...Gander Mountain in Jackson has these Brooks Glycerine 10's on closeout for 69 bucks... Next best price I could find was a 100 bucks for a 159 dollar retail shoe

Good deal if they fit your style.....but I pity you if you're an over-pronator or flat footed.

There are (3) general types of running shoes, and they're generally not interchangeable. They address the types of pronation in your stride, which describes the degree to which you transfer weight from your heel to the ball of your foot. The condition of your shoe's bottom sole, as well as the cushion material underneath the footbed can be a good indicator as to the type of shoe you require.

Suppenation (under-pronation) generally means you strike on the outside of your heel, and roll through the outside of your foot towards your pinkie toe. Typically, this stride is common in high arched people, and doesn't cause long-term joint problems.

Neutral strides will strike somewhere in the middle to outside of the heel, and roll through the center of their foot.

Pronating (or over-pronation) is one of the leading causes of running injuries, mostly to the knees and ankles. It means your stride transfers weight too dramatically, causing you to push off from the inside of your arch. Heavier runners (new runners losing weight), generally big folks, and flat footed people are most often over-pronators.

Now, the types of shoes:

Cushion/Neutral shoes: these don't have much in the way of arch support of any type. Arch support is generally seen as a plastic insert or a denser, gray-ish foam in the sole. These should only be used by lighter, faster, runners who require little in the way of pronation correction. Shoes that fall into this category are most often the most stylish shoes, as they're generally the sleekest looking.

Stability Shoes: these are the most commonly sold shoes, as many runners appreciate the feel of some (or substantial) arch support, thick soles and comfortable footbed. THey provide little to some pronation support, but aren't designed to resist much roll-over.

Motion-Control: These are generally big, bulky, and often the most expensive shoes. If you have moderate to severe over-pronation, this is where you need to be. These shoes are constructed with pretty high insteps, and are built to "push" your foot back to keep you from rolling too much. They are generally the most expensive because of the amount of material and construction types needed to beat and fight your elephant foot back into submission. If you have flat feet, your knees hurt, and/or the inside of your shoe is squashed flat, suck it up Stampy, you're getting the most expensive shoes on the market.

Any questions?

\:D
I need a Foot Class!
I definitely need to get to Memphis!

#3330080 - 08/21/13 06:22 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Kimber45]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Looks like TAFKAP Has all the bases covered awesome.

I have been fitted, and if I am doing more than a couple of miles I run in a standard shoe... brooks at the moment.

But for 99% of my working out and short running, sprints, etc I am loving my New Balance Minimus.

Switching to a barefoot style shoe really helped me fix my heel strike issues early on, and they a just plain comfortable now, especially for squats and deadlifts where I can get a good stance without feeling squishy.

#3330104 - 08/21/13 06:58 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Kimber45]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Now, the types of shoes:

Any questions?

\:D
I need a Foot Class!
I definitely need to get to Memphis!

Yeah, visit the Breakway Running store in Memphis. They will make sure you get the right fitting shoe.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3330364 - 08/21/13 10:15 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Poser]
Ed B
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I saw that you mentioned Fleet Feet, I have no clue about the one in Memphis but I was impressed with the Brentwood store. I had been running on new balances for a couple years and my feet always hurt, ran a half marathon on them and it finally convinced me to get fitted, just way too uncomfortable.

The lady at fleet feet did all the foot measurements, watched me walk, watched me jog and after doing all that she brought out two sets of shoes and inserts. Never once did we discuss brand of shoe. I think I ended up with Saucony (not 100% sure) and some inserts and my feet feel so so much better. I would highly recommend getting fitted and getting the right shoes, I think I ended up spending around $150, well worth the comfort and support when running.

It was a little different walking into a shoe store and not walking over to the wall of shoes and picking out something that looked good. Hell, I never even looked at the wall, they just put you in the shoe that fits you.

#3330391 - 08/21/13 10:26 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

The ones that fit.

I do

I'll suggest Breakaway Running over Fleet Feet. There seems to be a greater sense of competence at Breakaway. I've shopped at Fleet Feet before, and just didn't care for it. My wife bought a pair of shoes at their recommendation, and they didn't perform as expected. We both prefer Breakaway. They have two locations:

Midtown @ 1997 Union Ave Memphis, TN 38104
Germantown @ 1223 S Germantown Rd Germantown, TN 38138

**FULL DISCLOSURE**
I used to work at Breakaway back in college....that's where I got my know-it-all information about running shoes. I shopped at Fleet Feet for a while because of some disagreements with the Breakaway ownership at the time. Breakaway is currently owned by a guy that seems to be much better suited for business, as well as running.

#3330402 - 08/21/13 10:40 AM Re: Running shoes...??? [Re: Ed B]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Ed B

The lady at fleet feet did all the foot measurements, watched me walk, watched me jog and after doing all that she brought out two sets of shoes and inserts. Never once did we discuss brand of shoe. I think I ended up with Saucony (not 100% sure) and some inserts and my feet feel so so much better. I would highly recommend getting fitted and getting the right shoes, I think I ended up spending around $150, well worth the comfort and support when running.

It was a little different walking into a shoe store and not walking over to the wall of shoes and picking out something that looked good. Hell, I never even looked at the wall, they just put you in the shoe that fits you.

This is why runners should get fitted at a running store. The big-box retailers don't know, don't care, and are pushing quantity over service. However, I don't agree with the foot measuring. All shoes are fit differently, and the size is just an arbitrary number.

The best way to buy running shoes is with your eyes closed and your wallet open. If you walk in expecting to pay $120, you'll never be disappointed \:D

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (missalot, arctic_cat, mossyoakmantn, tyson007, TNtrapper, hinshm, 2 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90925 Topics
1062479 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.