volsgo1
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. 38017

TreeWalker bites the tree like a pit bull

#3327916 - 08/19/13 12:43 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: wlf89]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I didn't read all the replies, but definitely, tie the top and bottom sections together in case you lose the bottom while climbing. Also wear a Harness at all times!
#3327974 - 08/19/13 01:40 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: Winchester]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I am going to say this again, no matter what, no matter how far you walked from your truck before you remembered it, no matter what, wear a safety harness.

Now that everyone has covered some GREAT tips and how to's, I will take it a step farther as for beginners tips.

Once you get to climbing and venture out more I figure you will climb the same tree on more than one occasion.

When you get to your hunting height (let the canopy and terrain dictate it, not the pressure from tv that says you must be 30' up to kill a deer) stick you a bright eyes or something like that in the tree.

Believe it or not it is pretty easy to kind of "corkscrew" around the tree as you go up and in total darkness you can get all set up and ready to go only to realize you are not on the same side of the tree you wanted to be on. \:D

Seriously.

#3327983 - 08/19/13 01:50 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: RUGER]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I am not allowed to give advice on this because I'll climb some TINY trees (I love swaying back and forth 3' when 30' in the air!), never wear a harness, and generally break every other safety rule of using a climber.

Wait - there it is: Don't do any of the things I do!

#3328146 - 08/19/13 03:41 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: -DRM-]
TNRazorback
6 Point

Loc: Tipton County, TN

I have a Summit Viper SD and highly recommend it. If you're doing much walking to get to your spots and there's good chance of harvesting game, get you a game cart. No need in chancing a cardiac event over deer sausage.
#3328296 - 08/19/13 06:12 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: TNRazorback]
Orion6
8 Point

Loc: Soddy Daisy,TN

Summits are indeed great. When they first went to the cable setup years ago I did not like the looks of it, but they hold the tree well and are super comfortable.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better climber.

From my experience, like others have said, 15-20 feet is plenty depending on where you are. WEAR THE HARNESS EVERY TIME. If your harness that you get from the manufacturer of the stand is too cheap, go buy a Muddy or Hunter's Safety System harness. It's a small investment that might save your life.

#3328724 - 08/20/13 05:36 AM Re: New to climbers [Re: Orion6]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

content Online
I've got 2 summit goliaths and 2 summit vipers and I feel safe enough to take a nap in them sometimes. Doesn't matter if you've hunted out of one for 20yrs there won't be a season pass when u don't make a mistake on the platform adjustment. It's always better to have it slopping down a bit than slopping upward. I have to climb down and readjust probably 5-6 times a year. Give yourself the extra time to get in the woods in case it does happen. Stay away from the bear trees. Always find one with some cover on it. A climbing stand hunters best friend is a pair of ratchet pruners in case u have to trim out some limbs in order to get into the cover. White Oaks and Maples are good soft trees. Pinoaks don't have enough to bite into. Pine trees are to noisy. And always remember. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AND I MEAN EVEN IF THERES ONLY ONE TREE TO CLIMB. NEVER CLIMB A SCALEY BARK HICKORY. Like some mentioned. Buy the side saddle bags. Load Em up with what u need then take about half of it out. All u need in Em is pruners, license, knife, rope, flashlight, and drink. Hope this helps.
#3328792 - 08/20/13 07:02 AM Re: New to climbers [Re: Poleaxe]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
Buy the side saddle bags. Load Em up with what u need then take about half of it out. All u need in Em is pruners, license, knife, rope, flashlight, and drink. Hope this helps.

I would add a camera.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3329438 - 08/20/13 03:22 PM Re: New to climbers [Re: spur necklace 3]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: spur necklace 3
If you use a climber like an Ol' Man, which are very good, safe stands, never, never, NEVER, attempt to adjust either the top or bottom off the ground to conform to the diameter of the tree. Most trees will get smaller the higher you go, to compensate for this you need to put both top and bottom at a slight angle at the bottom so they'll be level when you get to where you want to be. But at some point, you will not get the angle right at the bottom of the tree. You'll be tempted to take the pin out and adjust up in the tree. DO NOT DO THIS. If you were to accidentally drop the pin, you're in trouble. Climb down, adjust the angle, go back up, no matter how many minutes it will cost you. Some climbers allow you to adjust your angle in the tree, so you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Very good point. Dropped my pin one morning before daylight... it made for a very TENSE couple of hours.

Originally Posted By: spur necklace 3
Also, if you have one that can't adjust in the tree, here's a tip to save time on the angles mentioned above. If you climb a tree, and at some point in time you may climb it again, keep track of exactly what position you want the stand to be in. You could do it on your phone. I take a piece of paper, fold it in half 3 or 4 times until it will fit in a sandwich bag, then put it in a sandwich bag with a pen. When I climb a tree for the first time, I can figure out exactly what hole I need the pin in for both the top and bottom portions of the stand. For example, if I climb a tree opening day, I can figure out that I need to put the pin in the 2nd hole on the top part, and the 4th hole on the bottom part to have it perfectly level in the tree. I write that down on my piece of paper with a name for the tree, so that the next time I hunt it there's no guesswork when it comes to putting the stand on the tree at the bottom. It's saved me alot of time over the years.

I do this exact thing. I have favorite trees from Tn and Oh programed in my phone for my climber. Here is a portion of that list...

Edited by plinker22 (08/20/13 03:23 PM)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
53 registered (stryker, PinchPoint, leader, catman529, Vermin93, markjoz, 8 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85723 Topics
1035953 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.