Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3328172 - 08/19/13 04:09 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: AndyW]
Backstrapcrazy
6 Point

Loc: powell , Tennessee

Saw one in "Cades Cove" , that one had some Orange color to it. Do they change as they get bigger?
#3328236 - 08/19/13 05:09 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: JeepKuntry]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
Pretty snake, but I hate snakes. That being said, if it's poisonous you should be allowed to kill it.

Yep I agree

#3328660 - 08/19/13 11:30 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: JeepKuntry]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Pretty snake, but I hate snakes. That being said, if it's poisonous you should be allowed to kill it.

why? if it is not in your yard or populated area and is no threat, it should be left alone. that snake belongs there.
oh, and there are no poisonous snakes. ;\)

this one is still crawling around morgan co. somewhere:

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3328750 - 08/20/13 06:06 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: JeepKuntry]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

That snake was in an area of the refuge that I'm willing to bet won't see 10 people a year in there. Killing it never crossed my mind. Venomous or not...if you stop and think about it, snakes are pretty defenseless creatures. They can't help it if some idiot goes bumbling around in the woods with his head up his a$$ and steps on one and gets bit. \:D \:D

First thing I told my wife when we got off the boat was to stay behind me and watch out for snakes...I was 50 feet from it when I saw it. Of course I kept walking til we were 10 feet away before I pointed it out to my wife. LoL...I thought I was going to see someone walk on the water...

Snakes are good...pay attention and leave them alone.

#3328774 - 08/20/13 06:41 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BuckWild]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

My ex-wife was bitten back in 1994 by a cottonmouth. After about 5 hours of agonizing pain, the snake finally died. LOL \:\)

Seriously though, she was bitten and it was in our front yard. She was wearing a dress and nylons. Although the fangs punctured the skin, the nylon stockings acted like a strainer and kept the poison from going into her body. It was pretty miraculous I thought... The Dr kept her under observation for about 3 hours, gave her a script for antibiotics and sent her home... As a side-note, I passed a state trooper on the way to the ER and I was going 115mph. The trooper followed us all the way to the hospital and when I pulled into the hospital, he turned off his lights. He came into the ER a few minutes later, asked a few questions and left. That was one sunday morning I'll never forget. I hate snakes.

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3328776 - 08/20/13 06:45 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: Rebel]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Rebel
My ex-wife was bitten back in 1994 by a cottonmouth. After about 5 hours of agonizing pain, the snake finally died. LOL \:\)

Seriously though, she was bitten and it was in our front yard. She was wearing a dress and nylons. Although the fangs punctured the skin, the nylon stockings acted like a strainer and kept the poison from going into her body. It was pretty miraculous I thought... The Dr kept her under observation for about 3 hours, gave her a script for antibiotics and sent her home... As a side-note, I passed a state trooper on the way to the ER and I was going 115mph. The trooper followed us all the way to the hospital and when I pulled into the hospital, he turned off his lights. He came into the ER a few minutes later, asked a few questions and left. That was one sunday morning I'll never forget. I hate snakes.

many times a defensive bite is "dry". injecting no venom.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3328825 - 08/20/13 07:31 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: stik]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

A buddy and I were on a hog hunt in Cherokee National Forest a couple years back and met some fellas on the trail that were a little shaken up. It seems hiking up the trail in the dark one of them stepped over something and a Timber Rattler struck him and the fangs hung in his brush pants for a few seconds and he knocked his buddies down as he ran past them dragging the snake. Now, they said the wet spot on his pants was venom but I know what it would have been if it had been me......
#3328900 - 08/20/13 08:33 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: stik]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: Rebel

many times a defensive bite is "dry". injecting no venom.

Exactly. The nylons couldn't possibly have acted like a "strainer," as the injecting fangs were already through them and in her skin.

My brother is an ER Doc in the desert southwest. He sees rattlesnake bites almost weekly. The vast majority are "dry" bites. The snake just strikes to get you away from it.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3328966 - 08/20/13 09:15 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BSK]
AndyW
10 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
My brother is an ER Doc in the desert southwest. He sees rattlesnake bites almost weekly. The vast majority are "dry" bites. The snake just strikes to get you away from it.

I asked an ER doctor in Georgia about the snake bites he had seen. He shared with me that at least 90% were alcohol related and ALL were cases of someone trying to either catch or kill the snake.

I realize this is just one ER doctor's view and nothing conclusive, but thought the alcohol statistic was very interesting.

#3329032 - 08/20/13 10:07 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: AndyW]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: AndyW
 Originally Posted By: BSK

I asked an ER doctor in Georgia about the snake bites he had seen. He shared with me that at least 90% were alcohol related and ALL were cases of someone trying to either catch or kill the snake.

I realize this is just one ER doctor's view and nothing conclusive, but thought the alcohol statistic was very interesting.

My brother said the VAST majority of bites he sees are on the hand--because the person was trying to catch the snake.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (big 8's in Weakley county, Nimrod777, Planking, Southpaw, Bigmonts, burninpowder, 5 invisible) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88945 Topics
1040462 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.237 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.