Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3325927 - 08/17/13 06:45 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I love my ENO hammock, I have looked into a Clark Jungle Hammock but since I purchased a Underquilt from Kickass quilts I can hammock in any temp with no worries. Im looking at upgrading my rainfly to a warbonnet.

The gutless method is ideal for sure, my only worry is getting the cape cool and keeping it in good condition. The meat is less sensitive than the cape IMO.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3325999 - 08/17/13 07:49 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

done it both ways. To me its much easier to pack the quarter than debone. Last one we deboned it was like trying to pack out a wad of jello, main load always trying to ride down real low.

#3327594 - 08/19/13 08:13 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: tickweed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I've never hunted out West or tackled an animal bigger than a Whitetail, but I do not see myself ever going for the gutless method. It doesn't take long, I want the heart and liver, plus, having the guts out allows you to take your time with the butchering.

I suppose that a criticism out West would be that the gut pile attracts more scavengers. On the flipside, though, I suppose that it would equally offer a "decoy" for said scavengers.

As far as packing, again, I've only done whitetail, but I prefer to pack out in quarters because it is faster and I want the bones for stock. With an 800 pound animal down, miles from relief, however, boning out on the spot makes the most sense. I'm guessing I would play that one according to the situation. If killing an Elk were a regular event, I'd probably bone out when appropriate. If it were my first Elk kill or a once in a life time hunt such as Buffalo in Alaska, I'd definitely go to extreme measures to pack out the bones. Game stock is more valuable, useful, nutritious & tasty than any single cut of meat on the animal, but, of course there are a number of variables with regards to backcountry hunting and packing bones out could mean 2-3 extra trips, which may not be feasible.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3327686 - 08/19/13 09:14 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

I suppose that a criticism out West would be that the gut pile attracts more scavengers. On the flipside, though, I suppose that it would equally offer a "decoy" for said scavengers.
I'd probably bone out when appropriate. If it were my first Elk kill or a once in a life time hunt such as Buffalo in Alaska, I'd definitely go to extreme measures to pack out the bones. Game stock is more valuable, useful, nutritious & tasty than any single cut of meat on the animal, but, of course there are a number of variables with regards to backcountry hunting and packing bones out could mean 2-3 extra trips, which may not be feasible.

I would love to have a wolf come in to one of my gut piles, I would be packing another animal out! Now a grizz or mountain lion is another story, one is too dang big and off limits to shoot and the other is too dang sneaky.

The only bones I pack out are the antlers attached to a skull plate, I have not been spoiled on game bone stock so only the muscle taste good to me.

-John Muir

#3327837 - 08/19/13 11:10 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: AT Hiker]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I'll be out there in colorado 9/7 - 9/15

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3328045 - 08/19/13 02:36 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

You will pack bones out one time....you'll never do it twice. A 100 lb backpack of boned out meat becomes personal when you're 4 miles from camp. I will be danged If I tote bones also.

#3328287 - 08/19/13 06:04 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: UPSman]
tickweed
10 Point

To each his own. Packed out probably 30 plus elk on pack frames, some mine, others in our group. A Mule or Horse is the BEST way, but cant hardly get one into the bowl we hunt due to the steepness.

#3328421 - 08/19/13 07:47 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: tickweed]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Originally Posted By: tickweed
To each his own. Packed out probably 30 plus elk on pack frames, some mine, others in our group. A Mule or Horse is the BEST way, but cant hardly get one into the bowl we hunt due to the steepness.

I envy you because you have been on so many elk hunts, on the other hand it must have sucked to be you for a little while.

-John Muir

#3328478 - 08/19/13 08:28 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: AT Hiker]
tickweed
10 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
 Originally Posted By: tickweed

I envy you because you have been on so many elk hunts, on the other hand it must have sucked to be you for a little while.
Yes, you would be correct. I remember several times I had a ham on my frame, and approaching the last 500 yds below camp. This is a very steep climb, where you have to hold onto bushes to climb. I've been down on my knees crawling at times, and wondering if I was going to get out myself. I'm now 53, and am starting to get a little tired. I still love it. We have taken lots of Elk since the early ninetys out of what we call the bowl, but it is a very physical hunt. Got a young first timer going with me this time, I'm planning on breaking him in.

#3328733 - 08/20/13 05:51 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: tickweed]
RockChucker30
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

It's amazing how the pain fades from memory...

While you're suffering you swear you're nuts and you'll never shoot a bull in that spot again. Then the next year you can't wait to go do it all again.

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (deerslazer, RF270, gobblegrunt, in the dog house!, Hunt 365, lungpuncher1, 13 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93147 Topics
1088766 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.085 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.