Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3328943 - 08/20/13 09:04 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: Deer Assassin]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Sometimes.

#3328984 - 08/20/13 09:28 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: MUP]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I don't.

Since I'm not fond of heights BUT love bow hunting, I do a lot of bow hunting from the ground, and 12 feet is about it for me I'm in a treestand.

You guys forget that as smart as deer CAN be...a lot of times they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I mean thousands of them die every year from being hit by bright and shiny colored, loud and stinky vehicles. Sometimes they can seem like they are the smartest animal on the planet...and other times it amazes me at how they've survived as long as they have, by being so curious/dumb. I dare say that most everyone here that has ever gun or muzzleloader hunted, has hunted from the ground in blaze orange, and had deer come within single digit yards of them. My 2nd biggest buck ever was a 9 point that scored in the upper 120s...and I shot him at about 10 yards, on the ground, in a pair of faded camo coveralls that were almost faded white.

Dan Fitzgerald videos from the late 80s and 90s, had him hunting in blue jeans and that signature red/back checkard shirt. A lot of his hunts were spot and stalk hunts too...while lugging a camera man around. Deer are suppose to be able to see the color blue very well...yet I recall one hunt in which we took off for Catoosa's open bow hunt and I left my hunting clothes at the house because we were in a rush to leave...so all that I had, was what I had on. Which was a pair of those Wrangler camo jeans, and a navy blue t-shirt. No face mask...no paint. And still managed to kill a decent buck that evening.

Crow's best tip for hunting is simply this: sit still. The less you move, the more deer you will see. The less you will spook.

#3328985 - 08/20/13 09:29 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

content Online
I use one. Has saved me $$ on wearing my regular clothes rather than buying a bunch of camo.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#3328990 - 08/20/13 09:33 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: doubledownranch]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: doubledownranch
I use one. Has saved me $$ on wearing my regular clothes rather than buying a bunch of camo.

That's a valid point. I actually suggested that very purchase to a new hunter who had lots of outdoorsy clothes, but didn't know where to start with buying camo and was overwhelmed with the options and prices. But, on the subject of lefay suits offering a concealment advantage, I maintain my position.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3328992 - 08/20/13 09:35 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: Poser]
NICHOLS3
10 Point

Loc: knoxville

Got one but never wore it hunting..only time I wore it was to see what my dog would do, it scared him to death.
#3329019 - 08/20/13 09:59 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: MUP]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: MUP

A lot of folks don't bowhunt from the ground. ;\)

I don't hunt on the ground, I hunt on the edge of a shelf with a very steep hill behind me. Even though I am 22 feet (measured) off the ground, a deer 20 yards away up hill of me is at eye level. A deer at 30 yards up hill from me is actually above me in elevation. So when there are deer in the thicket (on the shelf) and deer on the hillside (where the acorns are) I am in their line of sight. I think the leafy suit helps me blend in with the thicket below. For whatever reason the deer below never look up the hill, but the ones up the hill are usually progressing towards the thicket... and I'm in their way.

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3329023 - 08/20/13 10:01 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: ImThere]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: ImThere
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: redblood
no, certainly not for deer.

Agreed.

Care to elaborate?

Why wear a leafy suit when you don't have to? Once you understand how a deer's eyes work, you'll realize most of the camo sold today is sold to hunters eyes, not to fool a deer's eyes.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3329066 - 08/20/13 10:32 AM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: Urban_Hunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter
 Originally Posted By: MUP

A lot of folks don't bowhunt from the ground. ;\)

I don't hunt on the ground, I hunt on the edge of a shelf with a very steep hill behind me. Even though I am 22 feet (measured) off the ground, a deer 20 yards away up hill of me is at eye level. A deer at 30 yards up hill from me is actually above me in elevation. So when there are deer in the thicket (on the shelf) and deer on the hillside (where the acorns are) I am in their line of sight. I think the leafy suit helps me blend in with the thicket below. For whatever reason the deer below never look up the hill, but the ones up the hill are usually progressing towards the thicket... and I'm in their way.

And, even tho these suits are sold under the premise of "camo", they are more along the line of outline breakup clothing. This is worthwhile as almost all hunters will agree on the importance of not being skylined I believe. But then again, deer are killed every year by city slickers who walk in the woods for the first time in their lives as well. Just what each one feels is of benefit to his particular style of hunting imo. For the record, I may use mine once, maybe twice a year at most, and sometimes it never comes out of storage the entire year.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3329218 - 08/20/13 12:35 PM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: MUP]
CCAU
4 Point

Loc: Alabama

I think they look ridiculous unless you are a sniper in the military, or under the age of 15 (it may be cool to them). I can't see an advantage, but that's just my opinion. I don't put a whole lot into camo unless its turkey hunting. I'd be more concerned with scent than anything else in regards to deer.

#3329221 - 08/20/13 12:37 PM Re: do you wear a leafy suit or not [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I use mine for crows proably more than deer mainly because it's not warm and I don't bow hunt. i wear it some in eary ML season sometimes. It breaks up your outline and as such is camoflauge. They srue have a lot of exposed surfaces to catch millions of weed seeds. Walk throuhg a cucklburr patch with one on for example and you'll have a job picking them off when you get back to the house.

I guess it makes a big difference for me that I hunt the majority of the time from the ground and never in a enclosed blind.

Edited by Hunter 257W (08/20/13 12:39 PM)

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (Grandslam11, Woodchuck, in the dog house!, Kevin, SES, MUP, 17 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92917 Topics
1085651 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.1 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.