Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 10 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#338530 - 08/12/07 09:57 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Mike Belt]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
wcsd...In an ideal setup land management practices would incorporate both food sources and available cover. One without the other will certainly put meat on the table but they do directly benefit one another. I have hunted a sizeable property where food sources were outstanding and yet we didn't have much cover. Prior to deer season we "held" alot of deer. Even after season started the deer utilized our property heavily but increasingly into the season that usage was nocturnal. That could be expected simply because of hunting pressure but the deer sought out heavier cover thus moving them off our property during shooting hours. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't know that food sources alone is the best criteria for a hunting situation.

The same thing I see every year. We have a tough time holding the deer but really can only do so much for cover since the owner doesn't want any trees taken down.

#338709 - 08/13/07 04:57 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: 156p&y]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Feed wild animals.

Make them healthy.

Herd increases in size and carrying capacity of land is artificially increased...temporarily.

Stop feeding animals articicially...(i.e. supplemental feeding)

Animals die...

Edited by 102 (08/13/07 04:58 AM)
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#338719 - 08/13/07 05:24 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: 102]
wcsd462
4 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

Mike
I have only 50 acres to play with, but I have set aside about a 5 acre track that is a cedar thicket that I stay away from.
NtCh GrSqCh Poplar Hill Hunter

#339065 - 08/13/07 09:50 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wcsd462]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Loc: NC Piedmonts

Originally Posted By: wcsd462
Age is the first key in killing big deer, second is genetics,{cast do anything about that} third is nutrition, that is where I can help out and at the same time I may see more deer while I am hunting hell I may even help grow the buck of my lifetime.

Age and nutrition are going to be more important than genetics for big/healthy deer. So are keeping the deer within the carrying capacity of the land and having good sex ratios and age structures.

#339133 - 08/13/07 11:03 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Greg .]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

As I mentioned previously, I hate discussing this topic.

People are going to do whatever they want to do, regardless of "the facts." Even when they understand that smoking absolutely shortens your life and gives you a 50/50 chance of developing smoking related cancer, they will still smoke.

It doesn't matter how clear it is that obesity shortens life-spans and is one of the leading causes of destructive maladies like heart disease and diabetes, people are still going to over-eat and get fat.

No matter how often you point out that feeding wildlife has been proven to cause devastating disease outbreaks that destroy local economies (see the cattle industry of MI due to the spread of bovine tuberculosis by artificial feeding of deer), and cause inumerable other wildlife and habitat related damage, they are still going to feed deer.

People are always going to take what they believe to be the easy route to accomplish what they want, even if the "easy route" is dangerous and when much safer yet more long-term alternatives exist. We want want we want, and we want it now, future be damned.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#339150 - 08/13/07 11:17 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: BSK]
89montero
10 Point

Loc: ParisTN Henry Co. TN /Roswell ...

Originally Posted By: BSK
Kevin,

Feeding corn doesn't grow big deer. Protein grows bigger deer.

Which is why I do most of my supplemental feeding with high protein deer pellets . And starting this year god willing and a new tractor high protein yeilding food plots..

#339282 - 08/13/07 01:11 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: 89montero]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

89montero

what kind protein pellets are you feeding. i have tried a few but the deer did not seem to like it, just rotted.

#339299 - 08/13/07 01:28 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: BSK]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Loc: NC Piedmonts

Well said, Bryan.

I was going to type something along the lines of you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink. Thanks for all the good info.

But that's the way folks are. I reckon it stems from some sort of survival mechanism -- expend the least amount of energy and get things NOW, for there may not be a tomorrow. Maybe that's why some folks' finances are in such a mess, too. ;\)

#339324 - 08/13/07 01:51 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Greg .]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Absolutely Greg. Our ability to always find the quickest route to the desired result/goal is what has made us such a successful species. As far as we know, we are the only animal capable of reasoning through a problem before we act. All other animals learn by trial and error.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#340920 - 08/14/07 09:40 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: brier rabbit]
89montero
10 Point

Loc: ParisTN Henry Co. TN /Roswell ...

Originally Posted By: brier rabbit
89montero

what kind protein pellets are you feeding. i have tried a few but the deer did not seem to like it, just rotted.

You have to keep the dry. We use the legends deer feed pellets. We mixed them with corn then slowly add less and less to the mix. I'm not doing this on my property in TN but on a lease in GA.

I hope to get my food plots in on my TN farm this late summer and early fall.

Page 6 of 10 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
68 registered (Model70Man, Crosshairy, BamaProud, Unicam, bowhunterfanatic, TN Larry, 15 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85388 Topics
1031775 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.243 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.