Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 10 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#337034 - 08/11/07 10:20 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Bob S]
wcsd462
4 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

BSK
I do agree that natural habitat is an important factor in managing, holding and killing big deer, but if you dont have the right natural habitat I think it should be up to the land owner not the goverment to do what he thinks will work best for his land,whether it is re planting tree's that were logged or planting native brows or even puttng out feeder's. I only have about six oak tree's on my property due to logging,{This was done pryor to me buying it}. In the past couple of years the oaks I do have have not produced so the deer dont hang around becouse the neighbors do have oak's, so in order to compete I feed, I put in food plots,minerals stations I even did some burning to try to promote the groth of natural vegetation. If their was anything else to do I would do that to. The name of the game for me is to hold as many deer on my property as I can to keep the trigger happy neighbors from killing every thing that moves. Age is the first key in killing big deer, second is genetics,{cast do anything about that} third is nutrition, that is where I can help out and at the same time I may see more deer while I am hunting hell I may even help grow the buck of my lifetime.
NtCh GrSqCh Poplar Hill Hunter

#337058 - 08/11/07 10:37 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wcsd462]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

wcsd462,.. you need to plant some sawtooth oaks. Sawtooth's will produce acorns in 6 to 8 years. This will give you a jumpstart back to acorns for the deer.

#337064 - 08/11/07 10:45 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: deerchaser007]
wcsd462
4 Point

Thanks deerchaser007
Way ahead of ya. planted a dozen three years ago.

#337067 - 08/11/07 10:48 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wcsd462]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Off topic ,.. how is yours doing?? I planted 3 years ago also and have some looking good,.. some not grown much at all.

#337080 - 08/11/07 10:55 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: deerchaser007]
wcsd462
4 Point

I dont know that much about them, but their about 4 1/2 feet tall now. 4 or 5 didnt make it, they ended up buck rub's, ironic I guess.

#337174 - 08/12/07 08:48 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wcsd462]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

wcsd462
iagree withyou on planting for wildlife, i think it is very important. as i have stated before i have planted many types of plants. the sawtooth oaks need lots of sunlight or they will not produce acorns, also they must be planted close together so they will pollonate. other plants you may want to plant are burning bush it also is an asian plant thay is related to out hearts a busting bush, deer love to eat the hell out of it. autaum olives bushes are good brows and cover. mullberry bushes are also eaten by deer. by planting these typesof plants you wil provid year round food.

ps i have two swatooths that are over 13 feet tall, hoping maybe to have acorns nest year. oh and by the way, sawtooths start dropping acorns in mid sept.

#337294 - 08/12/07 10:19 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wskp1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: wskp1
Blah, Blah, Blah, I have a degree in this and that and know everything. Good thing your arms are long to pat yourself on the back all day! I have a house of 7 and a degree in "If it's brown it's down"! Feed'em , grow'em, clean'em and eat'em.

Then why are you posting in a QDM Forum? QDM is not about "If it's brown it's down." Please limit your posts to the appropriate forum.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#337340 - 08/12/07 10:38 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: BSK]
wcsd462
4 Point

If it's brown it's down..... That makes as much sense as,Shoot a fawn pick a spot.

#337415 - 08/12/07 11:55 AM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: wcsd462]
Anderson
4 Point

Loc: Emlenton, PA

BSK,

I don't know why we torture ourselves with discussions on feeding deer, but here we are again!

I don't really agree with the comment from page 1 on salt in soil:

"The high salt content of the salt lick and salt saturated soil will kill any infectious organism (the salt ruptures their cell walls causing massive dehydration of the organism)."

Here's why I disagree. Each organism will have a threshold of salt that it can tolerate. Right under the salt pile (or Trophy Rock of course) the soil will be very high in salt and likely kill any organism there (though I don't know that for sure). Agreed. But as you move farther from the source, the concentration of salt will decrease. At some point of distance away from the salt, there will be a zone in which the salt content in the soil is not strong enough to kill a given 'germ' (TB or BlueTongue or brucellosis or whatever). And yet it may be just a few feet away, so deer are still concentrated there. At some point, there is still some risk. Maybe less risk than a feed pile. Some organisms, such as coccidia, go into a very tough cyst form that will endure all sorts of torture for long periods of time.
My two cents, anyway. I'm not condemning salt feeding, just thought I'd offer the comments for clarification or discussion.
http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/2638

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." -- Mark Twain

#337446 - 08/12/07 12:10 PM Re: Feeding Deer [Re: Darkthirty II]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

wcsd...In an ideal setup land management practices would incorporate both food sources and available cover. One without the other will certainly put meat on the table but they do directly benefit one another. I have hunted a sizeable property where food sources were outstanding and yet we didn't have much cover. Prior to deer season we "held" alot of deer. Even after season started the deer utilized our property heavily but increasingly into the season that usage was nocturnal. That could be expected simply because of hunting pressure but the deer sought out heavier cover thus moving them off our property during shooting hours. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't know that food sources alone is the best criteria for a hunting situation. Do you incorporate any sanctuaries?

Page 5 of 10 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (sc8point, TNTomtaker01, bowhunter163, slagtown_dfa, Amy pesterfield, MUP, 8 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85395 Topics
1031846 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.222 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.