Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3327687 - 08/19/13 09:15 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Bayou Buck]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
 Originally Posted By: BSK
But we've found that if we mow in late July and spray with a grass-killer, we can get the crimson to sprout and produce nice growth by August (with adequate rainfall).

I spray end of June/ early July every year and my crimson seems to come back up in August. Took this pic of the Crimson this past weekend.

We are doing the same thing. But also adding some arrowleaf in with crimson.

#3327792 - 08/19/13 10:30 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

8 POINTS,

I have crimson and arrowleaf mixed into my fall plantings, but I'm think of spreading red clover in spring to fill in any gaps during the summer. Red clover tested exceptionally well in every food plot variety test I've seen, both for tonnage, utilization, preference, and nutritional content.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3327795 - 08/19/13 10:31 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Boll Weevil]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
Just to make sure I understand, are you guys overseeding with that red a little each year or is it all coming back from it's own seed that is produced/deposited? How many years are you getting from 1 planting before having to start over?

I'm looking at that. Red clovers are bi-annuals, in that they last two years. Then they need to be reseeded. That is, in theory. I know of red clover pastures (cut for hay) that are productive every year without any reseeding.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3327817 - 08/19/13 10:47 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Got it. I'm all about plantings that are self-sustaining, long lived, and require little maintenance. Like Mr. Parrish mentions above, I typically don't hunt over these...they are only to build the year-round food availability and provide bugging for turkeys.

It's worked just as planned but had considered overseeding with another variety (or even 2 others) to perhaps extend availability and tonnage even further. Might look into this, but my only concern is Durana (what I have now) is really competitive and I don't know if it would eventually choke out the reds.

#3327840 - 08/19/13 11:12 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Boll Weevil]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil

It's worked just as planned but had considered overseeding with another variety (or even 2 others) to perhaps extend availability and tonnage even further. Might look into this, but my only concern is Durana (what I have now) is really competitive and I don't know if it would eventually choke out the reds.

If you already have a warm-season perennial clover in your plots, I would NOT add an annual to them. I'm only considering summer red clover because I have nothing else growing in the plots in mid-summer.

#3327849 - 08/19/13 11:15 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

8 POINTS,

I have crimson and arrowleaf mixed into my fall plantings, but I'm think of spreading red clover in spring to fill in any gaps during the summer. Red clover tested exceptionally well in every food plot variety test I've seen, both for tonnage, utilization, preference, and nutritional content.

We planted 50 lbs of red in our crimson and arrowleaf plots last year. The deer do use it, but I like to spray the crimson and arrowleaf with gly around the 1st of July after they have made seed and went dormant. The problem with that is it will kill the red out. We trying to get our plots so that we don't have to replant every year. We have went to almost all clover plots with crimson and arrowleaf on the ridge top plots and Durana in the hollow plots.

Edited by 8 POINTS OR BETTER (08/19/13 11:16 AM)

#3327867 - 08/19/13 11:34 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
BSK
Non-Typical

I was hoping I could just continue to use grass-killing herbicides to control the grasses, and mowing to contain the broadleaf weeds.

#3328034 - 08/19/13 02:32 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

[quote=BSK]I was hoping I could just continue to use grass-killing herbicides to control the grasses, and mowing to contain the broadleaf weeds.
[/quote

Exactly what I do.

#3328322 - 08/19/13 06:32 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

I was hoping I could just continue to use grass-killing herbicides to control the grasses, and mowing to contain the broadleaf weeds.

We have three plots that were planted last year with crimson, arrowleaf, and red clovers, that I did not have time to spray with gly at the first of July and just I brushed hogged and sprayed them Clet. last week. Maybe the red will stay in them, we will see.

Edited by 8 POINTS OR BETTER (08/19/13 06:33 PM)

#3328458 - 08/19/13 08:15 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: smstone22]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: smstone22
I put cinnamon red in every clover plot I do. It is an integral part IMO.

We use that and ladino, both flourish at different times of years and have their own benefits. When also frost seed these two types every year into our pastures and hay fields, so far has provided enough N that we no longer fertilize N. Plus the wildlife love our fields now, makes hunting tougher but thats a side effect I can deal with.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (pastorbmp, Timber Ghost, backroads, deerslazer, jmoreland, Daniel n, 10 invisible) and 93 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93110 Topics
1088169 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.