Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3344737 - 09/02/13 02:31 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: AT Hiker]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

That is a great article and I know the guys I hunt with will pass on deer that I would shoot given the opportunity. Then they want to complain about it when I tell them I'm gonna shoot what makes me happy for my first buck and there isn't anything that they can do.
#3345341 - 09/03/13 06:41 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
Henke3663
Spike

Loc: Greenbrier, TN

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year.
There in lays the issue. Those of us that are in it to help feed our families do shoot does. I had 5 does to 2 bucks last year! But to many hunters don't even entertain the idea of shooting does... Why? They have no rack to score. But hey we all have our reasons for doing what we do.

Great article.. and I do enjoy when a "trophy" hunter calls you up in July or August asking if you have any meat left \:\)

Edited by Henke3663 (09/03/13 06:42 AM)

#3350639 - 09/07/13 02:49 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Henke3663]
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

Wise man once say "If its Brown, its down" \:\)
#3352873 - 09/09/13 01:48 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: scn
GREAT article. It should be required reading for every hunter before the season. The article hits at the root of the major problems facing hunting today.
x2

#3352917 - 09/09/13 02:20 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: moondawg]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

A timely article for the beginning of deer season. My Dad passed away this year and I got to help write his obit. Since then I read them on a regular basis. Very, very seldom due you see where the individual was a hunter. Sometimes, it says he or she loved the outdoors. In the overview of ones life, killing that big buck is well, insignificant. I need to be reminded of this on a regular basis and this article was a good reminder.

#3355396 - 09/11/13 12:20 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Right_Tackle74]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Originally Posted By: Right_Tackle74
i agree. quit worrying about what others shoot.

#3356345 - 09/12/13 01:00 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Deer Assassin
dammit
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

i thought it was a great articl

when i first joined the several years ag o i sat on here looked at all the great pics and was a jealous a hole it consumed me heck all i wanted was a 6 pointer then hooking up with some good guy to hunt with like pmc and other i came around to think i will be proud for them and i will drag there deer out and make hunting fun
lord know i have been rewarded with several mature bucks 6.5 133 8 pointer and 5.5 181 4/8 net archery kill

now i catch crap from some hunters who are so jealous the spit blood. welll that attitude aint gonn get it done

i helped a good friend harvest a monster last year i was so happy for him

lets just worry about us and take a kid hunting and congratulate ever hunter from the devil spke to a 6 pointer to the monster

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3356439 - 09/12/13 06:48 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Brisco Darlin]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
 Originally Posted By: Right_Tackle74
i agree. quit worrying about what others shoot.

EGGS-actly. Some of us can't shoot a doe during rifle at all, just the way the reg's are. If I want to shoot a "sub-par by someone else's standards" buck, I'll do it. AND put the meat in the freezer and hang the antlers in the shed. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3360223 - 09/15/13 03:05 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
dixieman
4 Point

Loc: waverly

THX

#3369475 - 09/22/13 06:53 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: dixieman]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I had my first deer mounted...a very small 7 point. Way back in 1974.

I will never forget that feeling of excitement and accomplishment. I remember everything about it.

I have no doubt that the first deer sighting of the season, will take me back to every deer I have ever killed. I always look forward to seeing that first deer on stand every season.

Seeing a nicer buck will, of course, make me a bit more excited, but just seeing deer, any deer, gets me going.

When just seeing deer or simply sitting in anticipation of seeing deer stops making me feel that way, Well, I'll start playing more golf and doing far less hunting.

I never get jealous of someone's success. I may say or think to myself that I hope I can kill a deer like that someday, but never think that I wish I had killed THAT deer. I have taken nice deer before and hope to continue doing so, but if not, well I've had a good run, imo.

When i think back on the nice deer that I have killed, I seem to recollect the feeling I had leading up to the shot. Even sitting there right before I saw the deer . That feeling that I just knew something good was about to happen and then waiting for the shot. That's what I'll always carry with me. After the shot, I felt far less excited and "showing off the deer" quickly became somewhat like bragging and shoving my success in other's face.

I have 11 deer mounted. they are up in my loft at the house, not on public display.....I never bring someone in to show them my deer, but if they want to see them, then sure.

the reason for this rambling is that I think one thing that hurts hunting IS jealousy or showing off deer. Some hunters just can't help but show off their kills and rightfully so, but when they start picking at their buddies and neighbors about their lack of success, then it gets silly.

To me success comes with contentment. The satisfaction that a hunter gets from his own success or maybe not so much the kill but the enjoyment that he or she gets just being out there.

We are very lucky to be able to do what we do and to let jealousy, envy or anything prevent us from enjoying the hunt, successful or not, is sadly wrong.

enjoy

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (TnKen, wayne, in the dog house!, J.Maples, archer19, 57bear, 9 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88827 Topics
1039179 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.