Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3327564 - 08/19/13 07:50 AM 5 Things you need to know for the Season
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://soleadventure.com/2013/08/hunting-is-worthless-and-4-other-things-you-need-to-know/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3327634 - 08/19/13 08:37 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

GREAT article every hunter needs to read these days.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3327648 - 08/19/13 08:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Very good points, and I totally agree with them.
#3327649 - 08/19/13 08:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Good Stuff. Thanks for bringing the articles Poser

#3327718 - 08/19/13 09:39 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: MattR]
10 Point

If the animal makes you happy, and it’s a legal/ethical shot, then what are you waiting for? Pull the trigger! - See more at: http://soleadventure.com/2013/08/hunting...h.VbmeszKN.dpuf

Words I have been preaching for YEARS!!!

After having been at both ends of the extreme of 170 inch kill vs 90 inch kill, I can honestly say, in the end, NOBODY really cares about what you do as a hunter.
As long as you are legal, it is really only about YOU!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3327738 - 08/19/13 09:53 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: 102]
Happy Birthday Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Good perspective. Thanks for posting.

#3327754 - 08/19/13 10:03 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Vermin93]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Good read! I think it should be stickied to the top for a few on here....at least the parts about celebrating other hunters successes.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3327776 - 08/19/13 10:17 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Bone Collector]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Seems to me like those points are just givens...not sure why you'd want or need to write it down

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3327781 - 08/19/13 10:24 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Bone Collector]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Great article.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3327787 - 08/19/13 10:27 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Coach]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

GREAT article. It should be required reading for every hunter before the season. The article hits at the root of the major problems facing hunting today.

#3327802 - 08/19/13 10:36 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Coach]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Coach
Seems to me like those points are just givens...not sure why you'd want or need to write it down

Because as scn mentioned, few hunters actually see hunting like that anymore. Far too many hunters these days see hunting as a competition sport, with their entire identity linked to what they kill. It's all turned into a big egotistical chest pounding exercise.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3327918 - 08/19/13 12:44 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Very well stated!
#3327924 - 08/19/13 12:49 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Because as scn mentioned, few hunters actually see hunting like that anymore. Far too many hunters these days see hunting as a competition sport, with their entire identity linked to what they kill. It's all turned into a big egotistical chest pounding exercise.

Exactly, and if we were only so lucky for these points to be "givens" for everyone that hunts!

#3327933 - 08/19/13 12:52 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

great article, thanks for sharing.

#3328241 - 08/19/13 05:12 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: catman529]
eastTN270
6 Point

Loc: Morristown

Great article that everyone needs to read. I'll have to reread that in the middle of the season too.

Vegetables are NOT food, vegetables are what FOOD eats.

#3328274 - 08/19/13 05:48 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: 102]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: 102
If the animal makes you happy, and it’s a legal/ethical shot, then what are you waiting for? Pull the trigger! - See more at: http://soleadventure.com/2013/08/hunting...h.VbmeszKN.dpuf

Words I have been preaching for YEARS!!!

After having been at both ends of the extreme of 170 inch kill vs 90 inch kill, I can honestly say, in the end, NOBODY really cares about what you do as a hunter.
As long as you are legal, it is really only about YOU!!!

trust me, 90 is not the extreme. they much lower

#3328754 - 08/20/13 06:10 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: redblood]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Great read!! Couldn't agree more!

#3329541 - 08/20/13 04:49 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Poser]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

\:\)

#3330204 - 08/21/13 08:09 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Boone 58]
J-WO
4 Point

Great article,thanks for sharing!
#3331611 - 08/22/13 09:58 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: J-WO]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Ever since the average hunter became aware of Boone & Crockett scores, deer hunting has turned into a numbers game. I cringe every time I see a hunter showing off a picture of a nice buck but he or she feels they have to say "it's good for around here". When I started deer hunting in the 70's there were no deer - and I don't want to ever go back to that - but I would like to see some of he old attitudes come back. Back then if you shot an 8 point you had a fantastic year. It could be a 10" spread 8 point and the guy who shot was honestly proud. I know - that describes my 1st buck!
#3332780 - 08/23/13 07:20 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Hunter 257W]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Anti-numbers? I'll go right along with everyone else and say that I feel that hunting based strictly on numbers is a black eye on hunting but at the same time, we don't go to the woods to kill the smallest buck we can. In almost everything we do we strive to reach towards the top. We step up to the plate hoping to hit a home run and not strike out. We throw a bowling ball hoping for a strike and not a gutter ball. We seek a job paying good money and not minimum wage and the list goes on and on.

Most of the posts on Tndeer almost make a fellow feel guilty for going after some of the best deer in our own hunting areas.

#3332879 - 08/23/13 08:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
Most of the posts on Tndeer almost make a fellow feel guilty for going after some of the best deer in our own hunting areas.

As I've said many times, I have no problem with hunters who strive for the very best; i.e. trophy hunters. The only problem I have is the attitude of some who consider themselves trophy hunters--their arrogant dismissal of anyone who does not hunt for the same reason, their denigration of any deer killed that does not meet their personal standards, their blaming of other hunters for killing bucks before maturity hence harming their own personal opportunity for mature bucks, etc.

And you aren't that kind of trophy hunter, so no worries! \:\)

#3333122 - 08/23/13 12:27 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Hunter 257W]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Ever since the average hunter became aware of Boone & Crockett scores, deer hunting has turned into a numbers game. I cringe every time I see a hunter showing off a picture of a nice buck but he or she feels they have to say "it's good for around here". When I started deer hunting in the 70's there were no deer - and I don't want to ever go back to that - but I would like to see some of he old attitudes come back. Back then if you shot an 8 point you had a fantastic year. It could be a 10" spread 8 point and the guy who shot was honestly proud. I know - that describes my 1st buck!

Well stated..

#3333808 - 08/24/13 12:02 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Very good points, and I totally agree with them.

Ditto !!

#3333911 - 08/24/13 07:06 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Snake]
Columbia Scott
8 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year. If we harvest more does and let young bucks walk we all benefit. People around my lease consistently shoot little bucks and it shows. Does all over the place and yearling bucks a plenty.

#3333914 - 08/24/13 07:08 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
Columbia Scott
8 Point

By the way, I went into a home where a guy had spikes and fork horns fully mounted all over his house. I suspect him, or someone like him, is all around my lease.

#3334061 - 08/24/13 10:43 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year.

Perhaps their area doesn't need more does killed? We've had an excess of bucks and under-population of does in my area for a couple of years now.

Quote:
If we harvest more does and let young bucks walk we all benefit.

We've been doing that in TN for years. When only 35% of the buck harvest is yearlings, that's simply amazing.

#3334589 - 08/24/13 08:19 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

As long as he killed the Spikes and Forkhorns legally on his property and not yours why should you care?
#3334980 - 08/25/13 09:47 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Right_Tackle74]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

Agree completley with article, just enjoy being out there.
#3336104 - 08/26/13 08:03 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: BSK]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK

True and I might add, that it's because it is our fault, all of us have a blame in that. IMO it doesnt matter if your an obsessed "trophy" hunter, a celebrity hunter, someone that leases hundreds of acres for personal hunting use, etc. All of our actions have a negative reaction somewhere down the line. Especially when we make it completely personal.

Now...how can we fix that? Simple answer, yet hard to do. I think one of the greatest things we have done recently is introduce children, women, persons with disabilities, and minorities (by that I mean older men who are typically not associated with hunting or being in the outdoors, regardless of race). This has broadened our group, unfortunately some of these "newbies" can fall victim to the "trophy" aspect of antler score if their mentor is not careful.

Another tool to help fix the problem is to broaden the term trophy. By simply including more aspects of the hunt than just the kill and quality of animal. Imagine if we all judged our experience based on a rubric that included antler score, personal growth, learning goals, publics social aspect change, contribution to agencies (TWRA) goals, etc. You see, you could kill the next world record whitetail but without focusing on the other "goals" you would basically be below average.

Maybe it is time for all hunters and agencies to broaden their scope. The incorporation of NASP, SCTP and etc are a fantastic start for the TWRA and I compliment them and other agencies/volunteers that are involved in this.

In addition I will add my take on hunting shows...I enjoy watching some of them, mainly I youtube search most of the videos, but they are purely entertainment. I know if I want to have the "success" that a lot of these shows have all I simply need to do is fork over some money. My favorite shows that are televised have fantastic videography work that highlight the raw beauty of nature, most of these shows do not portray a single kill and are provided by nat geo or discovery channel. If I was rich and could afford a production team that is the kind of hunting show I would make!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3344737 - 09/02/13 02:31 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: AT Hiker]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

That is a great article and I know the guys I hunt with will pass on deer that I would shoot given the opportunity. Then they want to complain about it when I tell them I'm gonna shoot what makes me happy for my first buck and there isn't anything that they can do.
#3345341 - 09/03/13 06:41 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Columbia Scott]
Henke3663
Spike

Loc: Greenbrier, TN

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
I personally don't understand why people who want the meat don't harvest only does.You can shoot virtually enough to fill your belly all year.
There in lays the issue. Those of us that are in it to help feed our families do shoot does. I had 5 does to 2 bucks last year! But to many hunters don't even entertain the idea of shooting does... Why? They have no rack to score. But hey we all have our reasons for doing what we do.

Great article.. and I do enjoy when a "trophy" hunter calls you up in July or August asking if you have any meat left \:\)

Edited by Henke3663 (09/03/13 06:42 AM)

#3350639 - 09/07/13 02:49 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Henke3663]
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

Wise man once say "If its Brown, its down" \:\)
#3352873 - 09/09/13 01:48 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: scn
GREAT article. It should be required reading for every hunter before the season. The article hits at the root of the major problems facing hunting today.
x2

#3352917 - 09/09/13 02:20 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: moondawg]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

A timely article for the beginning of deer season. My Dad passed away this year and I got to help write his obit. Since then I read them on a regular basis. Very, very seldom due you see where the individual was a hunter. Sometimes, it says he or she loved the outdoors. In the overview of ones life, killing that big buck is well, insignificant. I need to be reminded of this on a regular basis and this article was a good reminder.

#3355396 - 09/11/13 12:20 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Right_Tackle74]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Originally Posted By: Right_Tackle74
i agree. quit worrying about what others shoot.

#3356345 - 09/12/13 01:00 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

i thought it was a great articl

when i first joined the several years ag o i sat on here looked at all the great pics and was a jealous a hole it consumed me heck all i wanted was a 6 pointer then hooking up with some good guy to hunt with like pmc and other i came around to think i will be proud for them and i will drag there deer out and make hunting fun
lord know i have been rewarded with several mature bucks 6.5 133 8 pointer and 5.5 181 4/8 net archery kill

now i catch crap from some hunters who are so jealous the spit blood. welll that attitude aint gonn get it done

i helped a good friend harvest a monster last year i was so happy for him

lets just worry about us and take a kid hunting and congratulate ever hunter from the devil spke to a 6 pointer to the monster

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3356439 - 09/12/13 06:48 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Brisco Darlin]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin

EGGS-actly. Some of us can't shoot a doe during rifle at all, just the way the reg's are. If I want to shoot a "sub-par by someone else's standards" buck, I'll do it. AND put the meat in the freezer and hang the antlers in the shed. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3360223 - 09/15/13 03:05 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
dixieman
4 Point

Loc: waverly

THX

#3369475 - 09/22/13 06:53 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: dixieman]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I had my first deer mounted...a very small 7 point. Way back in 1974.

I will never forget that feeling of excitement and accomplishment. I remember everything about it.

I have no doubt that the first deer sighting of the season, will take me back to every deer I have ever killed. I always look forward to seeing that first deer on stand every season.

Seeing a nicer buck will, of course, make me a bit more excited, but just seeing deer, any deer, gets me going.

When just seeing deer or simply sitting in anticipation of seeing deer stops making me feel that way, Well, I'll start playing more golf and doing far less hunting.

I never get jealous of someone's success. I may say or think to myself that I hope I can kill a deer like that someday, but never think that I wish I had killed THAT deer. I have taken nice deer before and hope to continue doing so, but if not, well I've had a good run, imo.

When i think back on the nice deer that I have killed, I seem to recollect the feeling I had leading up to the shot. Even sitting there right before I saw the deer . That feeling that I just knew something good was about to happen and then waiting for the shot. That's what I'll always carry with me. After the shot, I felt far less excited and "showing off the deer" quickly became somewhat like bragging and shoving my success in other's face.

I have 11 deer mounted. they are up in my loft at the house, not on public display.....I never bring someone in to show them my deer, but if they want to see them, then sure.

the reason for this rambling is that I think one thing that hurts hunting IS jealousy or showing off deer. Some hunters just can't help but show off their kills and rightfully so, but when they start picking at their buddies and neighbors about their lack of success, then it gets silly.

To me success comes with contentment. The satisfaction that a hunter gets from his own success or maybe not so much the kill but the enjoyment that he or she gets just being out there.

We are very lucky to be able to do what we do and to let jealousy, envy or anything prevent us from enjoying the hunt, successful or not, is sadly wrong.

enjoy

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3370671 - 09/23/13 07:40 AM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
AROD
8 Point

Loc: maynardville, tn

Great article

#3372703 - 09/24/13 03:02 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

Great article! Thanks for posting.

#3373860 - 09/25/13 12:08 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: MUP]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Originally Posted By: MUP
 Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin

EGGS-actly. Some of us can't shoot a doe during rifle at all, just the way the reg's are. If I want to shoot a "sub-par by someone else's standards" buck, I'll do it. AND put the meat in the freezer and hang the antlers in the shed. ;\)

Yep. You have to be allowed does and SEE does to shoot them. The East side is far different from the west side.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3374118 - 09/25/13 03:43 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
varminthunter123
6 Point

Loc: Somerville, TN

Jolly Good article \:\)
#3411224 - 10/20/13 08:27 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
parkerxbowhunter
4 Point

Loc: humphreys county

Awesome article truly puts some things back into perspective.
#3469638 - 11/25/13 01:51 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

#3477222 - 11/30/13 02:06 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: scn]
Columbia Scott
8 Point

Great read.

#3486075 - 12/05/13 05:59 PM Re: 5 Things you need to know for the Season [Re: Poser]
1 good shot
10 Point

Loc: memphis

great read
Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (JoshDosMil) and 40 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.