Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3329198 - 08/20/13 12:20 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BSK]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: East TN

I have a belt from a 13 ft velvet tail rattler out of just south of Magnolia, Ark.(SW) and another 5-6 ft velvet tail on a hat, from the same area as well. In the spring and summer it was nothing to see one everyday in this area.

Edited by LSUtigers (08/20/13 12:21 PM)

#3329266 - 08/20/13 01:07 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BSK]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: Rebel
My ex-wife was bitten back in 1994 by a cottonmouth. After about 5 hours of agonizing pain, the snake finally died. LOL \:\)

Seriously though, she was bitten and it was in our front yard. She was wearing a dress and nylons. Although the fangs punctured the skin, the nylon stockings acted like a strainer and kept the poison from going into her body. It was pretty miraculous I thought... The Dr kept her under observation for about 3 hours, gave her a script for antibiotics and sent her home... As a side-note, I passed a state trooper on the way to the ER and I was going 115mph. The trooper followed us all the way to the hospital and when I pulled into the hospital, he turned off his lights. He came into the ER a few minutes later, asked a few questions and left. That was one sunday morning I'll never forget. I hate snakes.

many times a defensive bite is "dry". injecting no venom.

Exactly. The nylons couldn't possibly have acted like a "strainer," as the injecting fangs were already through them and in her skin.

My brother is an ER Doc in the desert southwest. He sees rattlesnake bites almost weekly. The vast majority are "dry" bites. The snake just strikes to get you away from it.

Maybe it was a mostly "Dry" bite. BUT, the ER doctor went back and pulled the stockings out of the trash can and there was venom on the stockings in one of the 2 places where the fangs went in. The snake actually struck her twice. The dr was the one who suggested that the venom was trapped on the outside of the stockings. The snake wasn't very big. It was about 2 to 2 and a 1/2 feet in length. Maybe the stockings kept out the venom, maybe not, just stating what the DR said.

Whether or not stockings are good protection against venom, I still ain't gonna wear 'em... Save that one for Ruger at the next vous.

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3329342 - 08/20/13 02:06 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: Rebel]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Whether or not stockings are good protection against venom, I still ain't gonna wear 'em... Save that one for Ruger at the next vous.

HA!!! Want to see that!

No, wait a minute... I DON'T want to see that!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3329390 - 08/20/13 02:42 PM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: Rebel]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

content Online
My ex-wife was bitten back in 1994 by a cottonmouth. After about 5 hours of agonizing pain, the snake finally died. LOL \:\)

Too funny. Your comment sure made me laugh. \:D \:D \:D

Stik, your Morgan Co. Rattler picture is incredible.

#3330117 - 08/21/13 07:08 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BSK]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

Originally Posted By: AndyW
My brother is an ER Doc in the desert southwest. He sees rattlesnake bites almost weekly. The vast majority are "dry" bites. The snake just strikes to get you away from it.

I asked an ER doctor in Georgia about the snake bites he had seen. He shared with me that at least 90% were alcohol related and ALL were cases of someone trying to either catch or kill the snake.

I realize this is just one ER doctor's view and nothing conclusive, but thought the alcohol statistic was very interesting.

My brother said the VAST majority of bites he sees are on the hand--because the person was trying to catch the snake.

Interesting.We were on our way to church on a Sunday morning. The snake was stretched out across the sidewalk and she stepped on it before she saw it. It struck her twice before she could get away from it.

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3330195 - 08/21/13 08:04 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: Rebel]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

My question is how do you know it is a dry bite, before it bites and maybe kills you. I can't for the life of me understand why any one thinks that something that can and will kill you is so pretty.

#3330198 - 08/21/13 08:05 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: Rebel]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: AndyW

I asked an ER doctor in Georgia about the snake bites he had seen. He shared with me that at least 90% were alcohol related and ALL were cases of someone trying to either catch or kill the snake.

I realize this is just one ER doctor's view and nothing conclusive, but thought the alcohol statistic was very interesting.

My brother said the VAST majority of bites he sees are on the hand--because the person was trying to catch the snake.

Interesting.We were on our way to church on a Sunday morning. The snake was stretched out across the sidewalk and she stepped on it before she saw it. It struck her twice before she could get away from it.

When I was struck by a cottonmouth (twice) I just happened to walk next to it while it was curled up sunning itself on an earthen pond dam. I never saw it until it hit me. In fact, it took the second strike before I realized what was happening.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3330205 - 08/21/13 08:09 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: KPH]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: KPH
My question is how do you know it is a dry bite, before it bites and maybe kills you.

You don't. When a snake bite comes into the ER, they just sit the victim down and make them wait to see if the intense pain of venom sets in. That can take up to 6 hours. No severe pain, no venom, and send them home.

Quote:
I can't for the life of me understand why any one thinks that something that can and will kill you is so pretty.

Jodi Arias will kill you, but she is sort of pretty. ;\)

#3330234 - 08/21/13 08:29 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: AndyW]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

Very cool pics

#3330237 - 08/21/13 08:30 AM Re: Timber Rattler [Re: BSK]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Jodi Arias will kill you, but she is sort of pretty. ;\)

\:D

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
72 registered (dh1984, memfuzz, Tracker, stylishblueticks, Southpaw, Rackseeker, 8 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91001 Topics
1063411 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.