Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#332739 - 08/08/07 07:02 PM fertilizer and lime
crazyhorse
Spike

Loc: knoxville

hey guys, gettin ready to plant my first food plot here in the next few weeks..I did get a soil sample and took it to the co-op and got the results back. it says i do need to put down lime, and i was going to throw down a little fert anyways. so my question is this, can i put down the lime and fert after mowing but before i till up the plot? or wait untill after i till? and also how soon before i put the seeds down do i need to lime and fert? thanks

#332742 - 08/08/07 07:10 PM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: crazyhorse]
stirrat
8 Point

Loc: savannah

you can and should put down the lime now. wait to put the fert out at the same time you plant. if you put it down now much of the nutrients will be gone when you plant. don't be shy on the fertilizer or lime use alot. typically i use at least 500 and preferably 1000 pounds an acre of fertilizer. usually about 1 ton per acre of lime is close for a new plot. you can get by with less but it makes a big difference doing it right.

i have been planting my fall plots usually 1st week of september. others plant as late as ocober. make sure you wait till there is good rain in the forecast and your soil is not too dry. i like to plant at begining of september so they are good for opening of bow season.

good luck

#333195 - 08/09/07 06:35 AM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: stirrat]
crazyhorse
Spike

stirrat,thanks for the advice... the ground on the farm i am putting my plot is about as hard as a rock, hasnt been farmed in many years...i do not have a tractor so that is going to make plowing up the land a tough job. im only doing a 1/4 acre plot though. I do have a tiller though but i got it out and all i can say is WOW that will take forever! is there some sort of heavy duty tiller or something like that i can rent from a tool rental store?

#339068 - 08/13/07 09:55 AM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: crazyhorse]
crazyhorse
Spike

anyone??

#340931 - 08/14/07 09:45 AM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: crazyhorse]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

Our local United Rental agency has tractors with landscaping boxes for rent. You can extend the spikes down to their max length and do a pretty good job at breaking up the ground. The one time we rented from them, I believe that we paid about $200 per 8 hr. day for the tractor, box and front end loader.

#340945 - 08/14/07 09:53 AM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: tellico4x4]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: tellico4x4
Our local United Rental agency has tractors with landscaping boxes for rent. You can extend the spikes down to their max length and do a pretty good job at breaking up the ground. The one time we rented from them, I believe that we paid about $200 per 8 hr. day for the tractor, box and front end loader.

Be careful doing that. I tried it and one of the box teeth hit a large root and ripped right through the frame of the box-blade. \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#340952 - 08/14/07 09:56 AM Re: fertilizer and lime [Re: crazyhorse]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: crazyhorse
stirrat,thanks for the advice... the ground on the farm i am putting my plot is about as hard as a rock, hasnt been farmed in many years...i do not have a tractor so that is going to make plowing up the land a tough job. im only doing a 1/4 acre plot though. I do have a tiller though but i got it out and all i can say is WOW that will take forever! is there some sort of heavy duty tiller or something like that i can rent from a tool rental store?

Unless you have access to a heavy-duty tractor and implements, turning the ground may be out of the question. But you can produce "adequate" plots without turning the ground. You just have to limit plant choices to small to medium-sized seed species, such as clover, rape and cereal grains. You will also need to over-seed by at least 50%.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (jbranham63, harley 2008, KyRick, diamond hunter, medic, Deck78, 6 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93384 Topics
1090447 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.