Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3347569 - 09/04/13 09:04 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: AT Hiker]
SharpMuzzys
Button

Loc: Lexington TN

I try to mix 50-50 white/red when seeding. It gives me some benefit almost year round this way, and also helps to keep the weed grass from taking over during the summer.
#3347890 - 09/05/13 08:29 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: SharpMuzzys]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: SharpMuzzys
I try to mix 50-50 white/red when seeding. It gives me some benefit almost year round this way, and also helps to keep the weed grass from taking over during the summer.

By "white," do you mean White Dutch or a variety of Ladino?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3348525 - 09/05/13 06:20 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
SharpMuzzys
Button

I prefer the ladino due to growth size and ph adaptability. Put it on the north side of a ridge and you are good to go.
#3349110 - 09/06/13 07:55 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: SharpMuzzys]
BSK
Non-Typical

I prefer the ladino due to growth size and ph adaptability. Put it on the north side of a ridge and you are good to go.

I've had VERY poor results from Ladino in ridge-top plots. Too little soil moisture.

But in bottomland plots, Ladino is King.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3349634 - 09/06/13 03:25 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
SharpMuzzys
Button

Yeah, me too. I found that if I could get a on the northern slope of a ridge where the top of the ridge drops towards the slope, I can pretty much keep it growing all year.

The rain/slope is helping to bring it down into the saddles and hollows.

#3349712 - 09/06/13 04:43 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: SharpMuzzys]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yeah, me too. I found that if I could get a on the northern slope of a ridge where the top of the ridge drops towards the slope, I can pretty much keep it growing all year.

Very interesting. If I find locations on north-facing slopes that stay shaded more often, I may give it a try.

#3349794 - 09/06/13 06:08 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Very interesting. If I find locations on north-facing slopes that stay shaded more often, I may give it a try.

From what I have seen and heard about your ridge top soils, they seem the be a lot less fertile than ours. We have GREAT food plots on our place each year. Ladino does great, though Durana does horrible! I have also noticed that our north facing slopes do best for most all of anything we plant. Also, for whatever reason, our soils are better on our northern facing slopes on all our fields. I guess it just has something to do with "over time", that's nature. You know much more about that than me. Makes senses and go for it! Those are my observations

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3349809 - 09/06/13 06:19 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Non-Typical

North facing slopes get less hot, drying sunlight in summer (the sunlight comes in at a lower angle). In fact, in my area, I will see a very different mix of plant species on a north-facing slope than a south-facing slope directly across the ridge. The north-facing slope will be dominated by white oak, red oak, beech and popular, while the south-facing slope will be primarily mountain chestnut oak, and sourwood.

Our ridge-top soils aren't infertile, they are just very thin, rocky, and dry. But I'm going to be working on more no-till planting techniques in future summers to see if I can keep more moisture in the soil during the summer months. From what I've seen, I think we can at least grow bi-annual red clover during the summer.

#3354027 - 09/10/13 01:00 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Boll Weevil]
hitek7
6 Point

Loc: Eva, AL

They have been hitting our red clover alot harder than the ladino we have this year.
#3425486 - 10/29/13 08:43 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
creativomjh
Spike

Loc: West Tennessee

what are you using for grass killer? poast or an equivalent?

Originally Posted By: BSK
I was hoping I could just continue to use grass-killing herbicides to control the grasses, and mowing to contain the broadleaf weeds.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.