Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3326658 - 08/18/13 12:56 PM Anyone using red clover anymore?
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I know it was very popular for awhile, but I don't hear much discussion about red clover anymore. Anyone still using it for summer plots?

Thinking about trying it next year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3326689 - 08/18/13 01:35 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
drrxnupe
6 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN & Oxford, MS

I bought 15# of crimson to mix with ladino and WTI Imperial. We'll see what happens.
#3326699 - 08/18/13 01:56 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: drrxnupe]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: drrxnupe
I bought 15# of crimson to mix with ladino and WTI Imperial. We'll see what happens.

Crimson is a cool season annual. Red clover is a warm season bi-annual.

I'm a heavy user of crimson in my fall mixtures.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3326726 - 08/18/13 02:46 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

I just mowed about 2 acres of clover yesterday and I noticed quite a bit of browse on red clover. I see the same at my small clover patch.

The way I see it, I dont like to eat the same thing everyday!

Side note---in that 2 acres, the arrow leaf clover was hammered. It took me forever to find a plant that had leaves and flower to identify it.

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#3326951 - 08/18/13 06:28 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: jmb4wd]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I put cinnamon red in every clover plot I do. It is an integral part IMO.

#3327079 - 08/18/13 08:01 PM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Crimson is a cool season annual. Red clover is a warm season bi-annual.
 Originally Posted By: smstone22
I put cinnamon red in every clover plot I do. It is an integral part IMO.
 Originally Posted By: jmb4wd
The way I see it, I dont like to eat the same thing everyday!
 Originally Posted By: jmb4wd
. . . . the arrow leaf clover was hammered.

My plots are more for year-round nutritional supplementation than for hunting over, so I believe the more bio-diverse, the better. So yes, I've been adding red clovers to the mix for years. There is also the added benefit of spring "beautification". \:\)

Typically, I'm purchasing some commercial blends which I "blend" in with the clover I purchase in bulk. I usually buy crimson and one variety of a red clover in 50 lb bags. This becomes my base "stock" (in part because it's relatively cheap). I then add several 9 to 27-lb bags of Imperial Whitetail (Ladino), Tecomote Monster Mix (a nice blend of several clovers, including 2 or more reds), and Biologic Clover Plus (which is another but somewhat different than the Tecomote mix, also containing reds). While these mixes contain a little chicory, I add some more.

While this mix may not be ideal for all soil and growing conditions, it's a practical way for me to do it, and some portions of the mix are going to perform even on those high wind-blown ridgetop plots (mainly the crimson and chicory). Portions of most plots will get at least lightly re-tilled each fall, but most plots have portions and extended buffers that are not tilled annually.

The fall tilled portions get wheat, oats, brassicas (going big this year on Biologic Maximum), along with some fresh blended clovers. Non-tilled areas get an annual dose of the clover mixture, along with a little brassica. All will be mowed a minimum of once annually, some twice and more, some re-tilled.

While the base mix goes on all, I do adjust the seeding rate to allow for some customizing to the soil/conditions of the plot. The better soil bottomland plots will be seeded very lightly with the mix, to allow for my adding more ladino (may be the best clover for good soil). The worst soil plots will also be seeded very lightly with the mix, to allow for my adding more crimson (usually the best clover for poor soil) and a little rape seed (also very cheap to buy).

#3327607 - 08/19/13 08:21 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Great info Wes. Thanks.

In the past, we've been using a mixture of cereal grains, crimson and arrowleaf clover to produce a fall planting that is productive until mid-July (when the arrowleaf blooms and seeds out). The arrowleaf grows tall enough to stay above the weed and grass growth that sets in in spring and early summer. However, the plots have been left to go fallow after the arrowleaf dies back, until we mow and spray in fall to reseed (usually mid-September). But we've found that if we mow in late July and spray with a grass-killer, we can get the crimson to sprout and produce nice growth by August (with adequate rainfall). I think if we can find the right timing in late spring, after the cereal grains and crimson clover have seeded out and died back, we could mow and use grass-killer to give the arrowleaf a big boost, and we could broadcast red clover to give us a productive plot all summer.

#3327621 - 08/19/13 08:31 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BSK
But we've found that if we mow in late July and spray with a grass-killer, we can get the crimson to sprout and produce nice growth by August (with adequate rainfall).

I spray end of June/ early July every year and my crimson seems to come back up in August. Took this pic of the Crimson this past weekend.

#3327654 - 08/19/13 08:46 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: Bayou Buck]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yup, that's exactly what I'm seeing Bayou Buck. We mowed and sprayed in late July and again this last weekend.

#3327675 - 08/19/13 09:05 AM Re: Anyone using red clover anymore? [Re: BSK]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Just to make sure I understand, are you guys overseeding with that red a little each year or is it all coming back from it's own seed that is produced/deposited? How many years are you getting from 1 planting before having to start over?
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (buckaroo, Thicketmaster, junebugwapiti, BamaProud, Daniel n, tadeerhunter, 2 invisible) and 55 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94018 Topics
1098244 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.