Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3325698 - 08/17/13 12:47 PM Potato Soup
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Found this recipe...and thought I would share. I haven't made it, but it sounds really good.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced into small bite sized pieces
1/2 regular package uncooked bacon, finely diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 bunch celery, diced
8 cups milk
4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes (use a cup of the hot potato water to dissolve, then use the cup of hot water in place of one of the above cups of water)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 bunch freshly chopped parsley
1 cup whipping cream
***For garnish:***
Shredded cheese
fried bacon bits
chopped green onions

Directions:
In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon fat and place on paper towel over plate to drain more. Add onion and celery to bacon pan over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes. To the large potato pan, add milk, water, bullion, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil. In small, heavy saucepan melt butter. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, reserved potatoes, and cream. Garnish with cheese, bacon bits, onions or all three.

#3325775 - 08/17/13 02:49 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: BamaProud]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Try this one I've been making for years....I swear it is slap yo mama, and then someone else's mama, good—it is a staple for me during the winter. You'll love it, but your waistline and arteries will think otherwise. \:\)

Fresh out of the oven beer bread goes great with it as well.

6 to 7 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese cut in cubes
1/2 stick butter
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon garlic salt
6 slices of bacon

1. In a large sauce pan cook potatoes & onion on medium high in only enough water to barely cover.
2. While potatoes are cooking, cook bacon and chop into pieces and save grease.
3. When potatoes are tender(10 minutes or so), not mushy, drain off about 1 cup of water and then add cubes of cream cheese. Remove from heat and stir until cream cheese is melted. Then place back on medium heat and add butter, soups, milk, chopped bacon (along with grease) and garlic salt, you can just use garlic powder and a little salt to taste as well. Lightly stir soup to combine ingredients and if need be you can add more milk—the soup should be fairly thick. Slowly simmer for 15 minutes and serve topped with shredded cheese.

#3326143 - 08/17/13 09:19 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: TNDeerGuy]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
Try this one I've been making for years....I swear it is slap yo mama, and then someone else's mama, good—it is a staple for me during the winter. You'll love it, but your waistline and arteries will think otherwise. \:\)

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon garlic salt
6 slices of bacon

1. In a large sauce pan cook potatoes & onion on medium high in only enough water to barely cover.
3. When potatoes are tender(10 minutes or so), not mushy, drain off about 1 cup of water and then add cubes of cream cheese. Remove from heat and stir until cream cheese is melted. Then place back on medium heat and add butter, soups, milk, chopped bacon (along with grease) and garlic salt, you can just use garlic powder and a little salt to taste as well. Lightly stir soup to combine ingredients and if need be you can add more milk—the soup should be fairly thick. Slowly simmer for 15 minutes and serve topped with shredded cheese.

i will have to run an extra 3 miles tomorrow just for reading the recipe

#3326182 - 08/17/13 09:44 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: redblood]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: redblood
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon garlic salt
6 slices of bacon

i will have to run an extra 3 miles tomorrow just for reading the recipe

you can use fat free milk and fat free mushroom and celery soup....duhhh \:D LOL

#3333321 - 08/23/13 03:23 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: TNDeerGuy]
BamaProud
12 Point

Made the soup last night, shared it with a couple neighbors because I was impressed. It is Awesome.

#3334187 - 08/24/13 01:00 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: BamaProud]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

My Mom would make potato soup and there was never a word from anyone, we ate it even though it was awful. Dad would "season it up" with enough salt and pepper to cure an entire horse.

I did however, copy, paste, and print that recipe. We shall see what the Wife does to it.

Thanks for the post. It brought back memories.

#3337322 - 08/26/13 11:14 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: DaveB]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Same with my family \:D

Mom was forced to make it when I was a kid because we liked it so much. She grew up poor as a church mouse, and had to eat it all the time. It was all she could stomach just to taste test the soup to serve us \:D

#3524370 - 12/31/13 03:29 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: TAFKAP]
BamaProud
12 Point

bump...even better on a cold day.

#3524695 - 12/31/13 07:06 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: BamaProud]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

content Online
Love some good potato soup. I'll have to try those.

#3524840 - 12/31/13 08:34 PM Re: Potato Soup [Re: Mike Belt]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

Had mom's potato soup for New Years Eve dinner tonight. She made vegetable soup but no one really looked at it. Love mom's potato soup.

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
70 registered (SluggoB12, BlountArrow, feldmutze, tyson007, Paul Burns, dmoser.270, 12 invisible) and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93138 Topics
1088594 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.