Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3326010 - 08/17/13 07:54 PM Firestone Service center, ripoff artists
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

Pardon long post , but people need to be aware of these artists.
In Smyrna thursday turner onto Old Bna pike, heard a loud pop and hit the brakes to slow down and see what was the problem. NO Brakes, went to the floor , eased down to a strip mall crawled under it and could see nothing, broke nor leaking . The brakes worked a little after pumping them . Thought I might get back on I24 and try to get back home to my local garage. Brakes went to the floor again so I headed to the closest place I knew. Good ole Firestons on Sam Ridley. From the wait room I could now see brake fluid dripping and on inside the passenger side front tire. The man on desk came in to get me after 30-45 minutes and informed me that the caliper had broken , OK let me see it , when I went out he said the other side was worse than the one broken ? I told him to skip the scary story and just gimme the bottom line. Well he said it was going to be expensive,,, Im think maybe couple hundred tops. I'm then informed they have to replace both calipers, both sets of pads and oh yea your rotors are less than standard so they can't be turned. they both have to be replaced too! I asked him why they were even looking at the left side as the problem was obviously on the other side. He then told me it was company policy to replace both sides. I told him my policy was for him to put it back together just like he found it ! And I would have it picked up. Towed it to a good friend's hose about 5 miles away. that did cost me $50 , got on internet and ordered new caliper from Advance auto , Did you know you could do that ? it came with 20 % off too. also got new pads. longer story shorter , put it together including bleeding the brakes in about an hour and $79.00 later. The old caliper was not even broken , the pads had disentegrated and the pop I heard was one of them shattering. The cylinders were scratched up some and because they had extended far enough to leak fluid I went ahead and put the new one on. Works just like new . I expect this kind of bs from car dealerships , guess I can add the old tire boys to the list !

#3326014 - 08/17/13 07:57 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
Thanks for the heads up, Joe!

#3326015 - 08/17/13 07:57 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
SALTMAN
8 Point

forgot,, their cost was going to be $983.00
#3326018 - 08/17/13 08:01 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I had a similar experience a few years ago at the Midas shop in West Knoxville. From what I hear, experiences such as you had are a common scam. So glad you recognized it and turned the tables on the scamsters.
#3326025 - 08/17/13 08:07 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Wes Parrish]
SAWDUST
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: cookeville tn.

Just think how many would not have question them and payed that much. Good deal on your part.
2 TIMOTHY 2:11 This is a faithful saying:
For if we died with HIM,
We shall also live with HIM.

#3326026 - 08/17/13 08:07 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

FireStone locations are big ripoffs! I worked with a guy in Knoxville at a sporting goods store and he had worked at a FireStone location near Nashville before that. He told me he went through training with FireStone and they made it clear, for example, that no customer ever only needs 1 tire. He told me he ripped off so many people it was insane. Finally after 6 months he said the guilt was more than he could bare and he had to quit. He said it was the most ridiculous scam, all being done under the veil of "safety" first.

#3326039 - 08/17/13 08:17 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: BlountArrow]
SALTMAN
8 Point

I think they recruit used car salespersons!
#3326050 - 08/17/13 08:24 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Well, I tell you - no joke. Around here, the FireStone people are either yankee transplants, covered in tattoos, or in their early 20s. Call me judgmental if you want.

#3326087 - 08/17/13 08:39 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Oh boy you hit a nerve with this one. About a year ago my BL was trying to be nice to my wife and offered to get her oil changed for her because he had time and a coupon to Firestone for an oil change(Clarksville riverside dr). She called me freaking out because her brother called her and said Firestone said she needs new tires that hers were in the "danger zone" and they would not suggest she drive the car again until new tires were on the car. She went down there and they even showed her a gauge that was in the "danger zone". Here is the catch I had a new set of tires put on her car A MONTH before this. They were brand new with less than 1000k on them. To this day I can't figure out why I didn't drive up there and give them a piece of my mind. Taking advantage of people that don't know any better is how they stay in business if I had to guess and I don't believe in that.
#3326103 - 08/17/13 08:51 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: TRIGGER]
RF270
4 Point

Loc: Williamson Co.

I've had similar experience at the Firestone in Brentwood.
#3326111 - 08/17/13 08:55 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: RF270]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

I believe they train the folks to rip you off at those chain repair centers

#3326131 - 08/17/13 09:11 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

I can tell you that not all dealership employees are like that and get tired of all dealerships/employess being portrayed as that . I worked in a dealership for over 20 years & can guarantee you that if i recommended something a customers vehicle NEEDED it. My father owned an independent shop for many years before he passed in 1993 & instilled values in me. I was/am NOT a crook. I have never worked for a Midas/Firestone etc. and can only speak for me.

Originally Posted By: SALTMAN
I expect this kind of bs from car dealerships , guess I can add the old tire boys to the list !

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#3326248 - 08/17/13 10:55 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: TRIGGER]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: TRIGGER
Oh boy you hit a nerve with this one. About a year ago my BL was trying to be nice to my wife and offered to get her oil changed for her because he had time and a coupon to Firestone for an oil change(Clarksville riverside dr).

I have actually filed a BBB conplaint against that exact store.
Went for oil change and they told me I had major oil leaks from Chev small block oil pan and leaking from engine/trans connection.
A quick wipe by me with a papertowel and it's a Miracle! Oil leak fixed.

#3326267 - 08/17/13 11:15 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Wes Parrish]
jos3ywales
14 Point

Loc: Norris Dam

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I had a similar experience a few years ago at the Midas shop in West Knoxville. From what I hear, experiences such as you had are a common scam. So glad you recognized it and turned the tables on the scamsters.

I have heard many bad story from that Midas in Knoxville

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales

#3326332 - 08/18/13 06:49 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: jos3ywales]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

I have both family and friends in the car business.
All of them say the say the same thing about Firestone.
The only "repair" to get at a Firestone is their Lifetime Alignment.
Skip everything else there, because everything else is going to cost you a LOT more than it would if you went anywhere else.
Find a good mechanic that doesn't work for a chain and make a relationship with him...put his kids through college...send him Christmas cards...
Or learn to fix it yourself.
Most people don't know how surprisingly easy most maintenance repairs are and that they could be doing them themselves.
Sure, every now and then you'll run into a job to big for the hobby mechanic to fix, but that's likely to only happen a time or two in the life of a vehicle.

#3326351 - 08/18/13 07:21 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: BlackBelt]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Took the wifes X-terra in for an airbag light once at Hunt Nissan here in Chatt. The ser rep came out with a report of how the seatbelt latch had malfunctioned, but they had to order both sides bc they couldn't tell which one had gone bad...then, proceeded to tell me that the front brakes were down to 15% and needed replaced. I told him, funny thing, I just replaced the brakes last week on it.(which i did). He gave the blank stare and just asked if they should go ahead and replace them. I told him no, that I would check them myself...then he asked if they should order both seatbelt latches, again, I said if the seatbelts are working, other than the indicator light malfunction, then no. Long story longer, I went home and pulled the wheels to check the brakes, just in case some freak chance had melted them or something, and they were still like new. I DID call back to complain, and within 30 min I had a return call from the ser manager, who was really aggravated and told me , in a smart alec tone, that he'd really like to see those brakes. I told him any Dern time you feel like seeing them I'll drive the 50 mi back over and show him personally! I did, and his subdued response was "well, the mechanic most likely meant that the brakes only had about 15% worn OFF them". I then said oh, is that why he said they needed to be replaced then?! I did get a free coffee mug tho for my trouble. \:\/

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3326443 - 08/18/13 09:06 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: MUP]
Deer Whisperer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I work for FS's parent company. I don't know anyone from that division of the company.
I buy tires and the lifetime alignment from those stores.
All other maintenance and repairs are done by a private mechanic. I drive older cars and my mechanic has saved me tons of money. If he says my car needs something, it really does need it. Totally honest and trustworthy.

I will not try to defend the complaints about the FS stores. I have been hearing similar stories for the 25 years that I've worked for the company.

#3328552 - 08/19/13 09:11 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Deer Whisperer]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Hunting Dickson DTC, sorry to strike that nerve , BUT I have had a large number of new vehicles in my 55 yrs or so of driving , and I can't remember the last time a dealership service dept. told me the truth. and thats the truth. I do have a local shop ( Quality Automotive , here in Cadiz ) that is top notch ! I was trying to drive that 100 miles or so back to him when conditions forced me to Firestone .
FS in Clarksville put my tires on , I let them change my oil while I'm getting the free balence/rotation .. Last trip they showed me where my shocks/struts were leaking , they only wanted about a thousand for that . But I would "get a much better ride " , Um no thanks, it rides just fine !

#3328560 - 08/19/13 09:14 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Glad you caught the crooks in the act.

#3328636 - 08/19/13 10:26 PM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: RUGER]
Redwing
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co.

My local Firestone has treated me fairly well, I have noticed that there are no "Repair" shops anymore. FS included, They replace, and they will replace it to the point where you won't come back for warranty work.
I did notice up on the wall was a quote from Harry s. Firestone,
"I believe fundamental honesty is the keystone of business". It would appear that they may have forgot that.

#3328700 - 08/20/13 04:50 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Redwing]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Hmmmmm. "Fundamental honesty"? I wonder just how many variations there are anyway?

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3328722 - 08/20/13 05:30 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: MUP]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I refuse to deal with Firestone because they are a Japanese company! I will keep my money here in the states......that, and the fact that my moronic brother in law worked for them for years. Anyone that would hire that idiot has lost all my respect!

#3328723 - 08/20/13 05:33 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Redwing]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Redwing
My local Firestone has treated me fairly well, I have noticed that there are no "Repair" shops anymore. FS included, They replace, and they will replace it to the point where you won't come back for warranty work.
I did notice up on the wall was a quote from Harry s. Firestone,
"I believe fundamental honesty is the keystone of business". It would appear that they may have forgot that.

Near Midland Plaza? Just be careful, sounds like you're due a good ol' fashion screw job from your local FS any day now.

#3328760 - 08/20/13 06:17 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: SALTMAN]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Firestone on 64 in Bartlettt, same kind of story. Left front brake not working corectly, they wanted $4,800 to fix all the problems, including a passenger side visor mirror that had cracked. I could not get them to give me a quote on just the left front and when I told them no thank you, put it back together they actually gave me a lecture, which lasted about 3 seconds before I kind of unloaded on them. I kind of got angry.
#3328771 - 08/20/13 06:36 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: HuntingDicksonDTC
I can tell you that not all dealership employees are like that and get tired of all dealerships/employess being portrayed as that . I worked in a dealership for over 20 years & can guarantee you that if i recommended something a customers vehicle NEEDED it. My father owned an independent shop for many years before he passed in 1993 & instilled values in me. I was/am NOT a crook. I have never worked for a Midas/Firestone etc. and can only speak for me.

Originally Posted By: SALTMAN
I expect this kind of bs from car dealerships , guess I can add the old tire boys to the list !

I agree with Doug. Sadly MANY of the new car dealerships are absolutely crooks however fortunately some of the service departments have Service Mgr's and Techs who understand repeat business keeps the doors open and treat folks right. I worked in 3 different service departments for new dealers many years ago. I worked with the same Service Mgr in 2 of them and on top of being a fine Christian man he was the most honest Service Mgr you'd ever find - and because of this reputation was highly sought after by dealerships.

#3328800 - 08/20/13 07:06 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: RF270]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Joe, you know I could have fixed it for you. All you had to do was call.

#3328882 - 08/20/13 08:15 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Headhunter]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

My daughter had her car in to have the oil changed at a place in Omaha and the guy said the brakes were so bad she better leave it and have all of them replaced. I knew they needed replaced but still in ok shape. They said rotors were worn so bad they needed replaced. $775 to replace the brakes and rotors then she would be safe to drive it. I bought pads for all 4 wheels and had rotors ground for $135 and took me about 1 1/2 hours to change.
#3332940 - 08/23/13 09:29 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: iowavf]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Redwing , I saw that sign on the wall myself . Bet old man FS would roll over in his grave !
#3332947 - 08/23/13 09:36 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: RF270]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Brake places make me mad in general. They want to insist that you HAVE to turn rotors and drums every time you replace pads or shoes. I've done way too many brake jobs myself to believe that lie anymore. Too many car repair places try this stuff. They come at you with a scary story about how your car isn't safe and that if you love your family, you'll do this long list of stuff right now! That was my main motivator years ago to learn to do it myself. I just hate it for people who can't - especially women because they take advantage of women 10 times worse than men.
#3332997 - 08/23/13 10:26 AM Re: Firestone Service center, ripoff artists [Re: Hunter 257W]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Thanks for the info, guys... Especially on the Firestone in Clarksville on Riverside Drive. I've thought about stopping in there for tires, but regardless of how good their price would be, I will not give one dime to a bunch of con artists.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
55 registered (WG Taxidermist, govols, biglefty20, ZachMarkus, Roost 1, tailchaser, 5 invisible) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91625 Topics
1070926 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.083 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.