Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3325759 - 08/17/13 02:32 PM The false argument about "defending our freedom"
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

Not ONE soldier is dying "for our freedom" in Iraq/Afghanistan

A short article that pretty much sums up who the REAL enemies of the American People are, and the lies we've been/are being told.

And like the author, I'm certainly not denigrating the service members themselves, I have nothing but respect and admiration for them.

Their leaders and puppetmasters, however.......

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3325841 - 08/17/13 04:30 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: sgtwebb1]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I've been saying that since 2001. The premise that we have to fight them over there so we won't have to fight them over here is insanity. But since a Republican started the wars, some "conservatives" will argue with everything they have that we HAVE to be over there.

Irony is they use the same argument to try to justify another war with Iran and/ or Syria and some people still buy it.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3325858 - 08/17/13 04:56 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Big Ben
10 Point

Loc: North of Nashville across the ...

Big $$$$ to be made in war...that's all.

#3325891 - 08/17/13 05:48 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Big Ben]
JC5810
4 Point

Loc: Tri-Cities

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."~ Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

USAF Vet.

#3327034 - 08/18/13 07:24 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: JC5810]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

The gravest threat to our liberty (what little is left), has been from within the States. Alas, the war is about over.... and we have lost.

I don't know what government(s) will follow. But, I suspect it will be a police state with a false democracy. We shall make the Soviet Union proud.

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#3327533 - 08/19/13 07:23 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

The problem is not that we went to war. The problem is that this country is so paralyzed by partisan politics that we can't even effectively wage war any more.

Both of them wars should have been over in 6 months or less. Our boys would have been home in time for Christmas. But the left used the wars as a way to attack a sitting President. They ran false reason's for going to war and then attacked the President for them while ignoring their own votes for going to war. They propagandized information gathering, water boarding and gave terrorist protections of the Geneva convention while exempting them from it's rules of warfare. They prosecuted our military for slapping POW's and they counted the dead every night on the news. They used the wars to wage a war at home.

These war have been going on for a decade. They have shown the world that the largest and most capable military this world has ever known has been neutralized with bureaucracy and political correctness.

That does not mean the war were unnecessary. It just means that this country is more effective at waging war on itself than it is in defending it from foreign forces.

The author presents his argument as though foreign conflicts and domestic agenda are mutually exclusive. They are not. But the same vile forces that have hamstrung our military and extended these wars 20X over are the same forces that seek to enslave our people and destroy our liberty and Constitution.

"Liberalism and the progressive movement"

Say it, Mr. Silveira. Naming your enemy is only the first step to defeating him.

#3327605 - 08/19/13 08:20 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck
They used the wars to wage a war at home.

"Liberalism and the progressive movement"

Say it, Mr. Silveira. Naming your enemy is only the first step to defeating him.

From Wilson to Obama, the left has been waging a long war that even the Chinese would be proud of.

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#3327782 - 08/19/13 10:24 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
de novo
10 Point

Both wars weakened our military and our nation while using the wars as an excuse to attack our liberty here at home. Afghanistan should have been a bombing campaign. Iraq was totally unnecessary. Neither of which required an armed occupation. It was George W. giving speeches about "building a Middle Eastern democracy", "Mission accomplished", and "Islam is not our enemy - it is a peaceful religion" not the Left.

We can't blame the Left for two wars started by a Republican administration and a Republican controlled Congress. Both parties love the military-industrial complex.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3327873 - 08/19/13 11:41 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

That's a bit of revisionist history but OK. you're right. We can't blame the left for starting the wars but we can and SHOULD blame them for not letting us WIN them.

I'm not trying to defend Bush in any way and I'm not going to get into 10 year old arguments about justification for the Iraq war. It's seems to me that history has a way of changing to fit the agenda of today.

Sure the industrial military complex has hand in these perpetual wars. But we could have gone in, done what needed to be done and been back out. That is my point.

Looking at poorly, even disastrous managed campaign and using it's poor execution as a basis to claim the wars we not necessary is short sighting IMO.

Had we gone in, got the job done and got back out it would have been dipterous for the left's ongoing "blame Bush" campaign. It would have been a win for a strong America. Dragging the wars our for decades, weakening America's resolve and tolerance for war and dividing the country down the middle is no accident.

They are also why Obama has continued these wars for 6 years longer than he promised to.

#3327899 - 08/19/13 12:16 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
de novo
10 Point

Specifically, what part of the post is revisionist?

#3327907 - 08/19/13 12:36 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

"Mission accomplished" for starters. That was specifically hung for the returning airmen who completed their mission of bombing. (Which you mentioned as a winning strategy) - It was not Bush's message. In fact the speech he gave spoke about a long campaign to root out and kill terrorists.

Second, it's was the UN who passed 17 resolutions that were ignored by Saddam and the Iraqi guard. It was Saddam who kicked out the inspectors. The vote to invade Iraq was bipartisan and included somewhere around 50 different nations. Hardly a Republican partisan effort.

Now we are dealing with Syria using Chemical weapons. Wonder where THOSE came from? Maybe instead of scoring political points, we should have been tracking down those convoys heading over the border.

Bush was no saint, but in their efforts to demoralize one man, the left gave comfort to the enemy and unleashed untold numbers of chemical and biological weapons into the hands of rouge nations and terrorist supporting dictators.

#3327954 - 08/19/13 01:08 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
de novo
10 Point

First time I had heard Mission Accomplished actually meant partial Mission Accomplished. I always thought that he landed on an aircraft carrier wearing a bomber jacket and gave a speech about the end of major combat operations in Iraq.

The head UN inspector was screaming no weapons were present. He was discredited by the administration. The UN passes resolutions all the time. UN resolutions are no reason or excuse for war. At the end of 2012 the UN had 22 resolutions against Israel. The UN is trying to use their small arms treaty as way to infringe on our second amendment.

IF the Syrian chemical weapons came from Iraq (which Bush, himself, conceded they did not have) then the weapons originated from the US given to Iraq to use against Iran.

Blaming the left for Bush's foreign policy outcomes is much like blaming Obama's economy on Bush. Partisans may buy it but objective people will just roll their eyes.

#3327971 - 08/19/13 01:37 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

I agree about the partisan BS. That's why I used to use Clinton quotes referring to the MDS in Iraq. It was most certainly a bipartisan agreement.

Only AFTER the invasion started did it become a solely Republican idea.

But I'm tired of defending Republicans here. They are not my friend any more than the democrats. I just wanted to debate the idea that the wars were a mistake.
I don't agree with that. But how they have been mismanaged certainly has been.

I think we blew an opportunity to knock Islam back to the stone ages. Instead, we've shot them, then paid them, then built them houses, armed them and then shot at them again.

We don't even know who's side we are on any more

#3327994 - 08/19/13 02:02 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

See my signature line at bottom. The lack of such a hand wielding the sword since 1945 is the root cause of our present military quagmire.

#3328019 - 08/19/13 02:21 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
de novo
10 Point

I think we blew an opportunity to knock Islam back to the stone ages. Instead, we've shot them, then paid them, then built them houses, armed them and then shot at them again.

After 9/11, we (Republicans) blew an opportunity to isolate Islam, protect our country, and completely reform immigration. Just think of our country now if in 2001 the Republican President and Congress correctly framed 9/11 as an immigration and cultural problem. We should have removed all illegal immigrants and those with expired visas and secured the border. Deported and banned all immigrants from countries with radical Muslim ties. They would fight themselves to the Stone Age.

#3328022 - 08/19/13 02:22 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: de novo

After 9/11, we (Republicans) blew an opportunity to isolate Islam, protect our country, and completely reform immigration. Just think of our country now if in 2001 the Republican President and Congress correctly framed 9/11 as an immigration and cultural problem. We should have removed all illegal immigrants and those with expired visas and secured the border. Deported and banned all immigrants from countries with radical Muslim ties. They would fight themselves to the Stone Age.

Can't argue that point at all. This country is paralyzed with political and partisan correctness.

#3328033 - 08/19/13 02:31 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

I agree that President Eisenhower's warning about the influence of the military-industrial complex was prudent. We should have done a better job of heeding his counsel.

As is often the case, though, it's not quite that simple. Many reasonable people are in favor of reining in the military-industrial complex......until the cuts come in their back yards. One has to look no further than this very page to see a classic example of what I mean. The military-industrial complex and "corporate greed" (both of which most definitely do exist), have many levels and layers.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3327378&page=1#Post3327378

#3328044 - 08/19/13 02:35 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Crappie Luck]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Can't argue that point at all. This country is paralyzed with political and partisan correctness.

The Republicans also blew an opportunity to teach radical Islamic jihadists a lesson they, their survivors, nor the world would not forget for many generations. Again, my signature line.

#3328134 - 08/19/13 03:31 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Originally Posted By: Bambi Buster

The Republicans also blew an opportunity to teach radical Islamic jihadists a lesson they, their survivors, nor the world would not forget for many generations. Again, my signature line.

^^^THIS^^^^^

You bring a knife to a fight, we bring a gun. You kill one of us, we kill your whole family. Radical Islam should have been severely punished for killing 3000+ of our citizens. Japan paid dearly when they picked a fight with the biggest dog on the porch.

#3328460 - 08/19/13 08:16 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
de novo
10 Point

The place to start would be Saudi Arabia then not secular Iraq.

#3328585 - 08/19/13 09:31 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

The place to start would be Saudi Arabia then not secular Iraq.

No argument from me there, but the lack of will to finish it quickly and decisively is at least as much the issue as where you start.

#3328770 - 08/20/13 06:35 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

It is abundantly clear that most of our elected officials haven't a shred of education about military strategy.

Read Clausewitz or pretty much any other military historian regarding strategy and the
#1. way to defeat an enemy is to simply wear them out either physically on the battle field or emotionally at home. This is one of the few effective tactics for a smaller, weaker force against a superior foe.

Our politicians have endeavored at every turn to do both to ourselves.

Afghanistan should have been a carefully crafted elimination of the terrorist camps and obliteration of the taliban government.
Infiltrate SF guys to laser targets and organize opposition, then bomb the snot out of the bad guys. Have almost everybody home before the news media got their bags packed and marching orders from the left.

The US government should have issued a simple statement. "The taliban and Al-queda committed and act of war on the US. We have removed them from power in Afganistan and will do the same to anyone who tries that crap again. All our troops are home with minimal/no casualties. Good night and god bless."

Think of the confusion that would cause for the enemies of the US. Their entire military/political strategy of drawing us into a long protracted guerrilla war to bleed us of resources and National Will would be null and void. They would show up to a smoking crater and nobody to shoot at.

Lather Rinse Repeat as necessary until the enemies of the US get the message. I am betting it wouldn't take many lessons of this type to get the idea across.

#3328889 - 08/20/13 08:23 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: fishboy1]
de novo
10 Point

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
It is abundantly clear that most of our elected officials haven't a shred of education about military strategy.

Read Clausewitz or pretty much any other military historian regarding strategy and the
#1. way to defeat an enemy is to simply wear them out either physically on the battle field or emotionally at home. This is one of the few effective tactics for a smaller, weaker force against a superior foe.

Our politicians have endeavored at every turn to do both to ourselves.

Afghanistan should have been a carefully crafted elimination of the terrorist camps and obliteration of the taliban government.
Infiltrate SF guys to laser targets and organize opposition, then bomb the snot out of the bad guys. Have almost everybody home before the news media got their bags packed and marching orders from the left.

The US government should have issued a simple statement. "The taliban and Al-queda committed and act of war on the US. We have removed them from power in Afganistan and will do the same to anyone who tries that crap again. All our troops are home with minimal/no casualties. Good night and god bless."

Think of the confusion that would cause for the enemies of the US. Their entire military/political strategy of drawing us into a long protracted guerrilla war to bleed us of resources and National Will would be null and void. They would show up to a smoking crater and nobody to shoot at.

Lather Rinse Repeat as necessary until the enemies of the US get the message. I am betting it wouldn't take many lessons of this type to get the idea across.

The answer to basically every political, social, and international problem we face is simple, straightforward and opposed by every Democrat and nearly every Republican in Washington.

#3334796 - 08/25/13 04:46 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I agree wholeheartedly. As for the Syria thing, I cant say I would be suprised if American contractors actually used the chemical weapons. You have all of these companies and individuals used to making hundreds of millions of dollars off of the U.S government that are suddenly cut off from their contracts because Iraq is over and Afghanistan is winding down. All they would have to do to get more contracts is do something that would get the U.S involved in another war, cross that "red line". Hire some ragheads to do it, whatever you need to do, spend a $100,000 to profit millions later. Think about it.

#3335453 - 08/25/13 06:04 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: smstone22]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

In before Bambi Buster points at your head and calls you "Tinfoil".... \:D

I wouldn't be surprised either.

The Military Industrial Complex must go on, after all........

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3336334 - 08/26/13 10:11 AM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: sgtwebb1]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Its just with my experiences of escorting empty trucks around for KBR, so KBR could get paid, while we were risking our butts. No telling how many U.S soldiers have been killed in order to fulfill a contract. Then another American contractor that goes to Uganda, pays some skinnies a few bucks to come to a war zone, sit at the chow hall and point a loaded AK-47 at you every time your alittle slow getting your ID out. And the military allows it, actually encourages it, because the top brass will work for contractors after they retire. These contractors will stop at nothing, I mean nothing. I just hope that the investigators will consider every option before they decide to start picking sides in this Syrian conflict.

#3336971 - 08/26/13 06:29 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: sgtwebb1]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: sgtwebb1
In before Bambi Buster points at your head and calls you "Tinfoil".... \:D

I wouldn't be surprised either.

The Military Industrial Complex must go on, after all........

Bambi Buster is a bit more discerning than that. The scenario of contractors creating a Tonkin Gulf Incident of their own in Syria, while I believe unlikely, is not entirely implausible. SGT Stone's experience with the nature of the military-industrial complex is not something he imagined or mindlessly speculated about (or read on the internet). One does not have to agree with someone 100% to recognize their credibility. There is also the fact that I have parallel experiences from a different place and time.

Non-existent FEMA railroad prison cars, videos of non-existent congressional votes and tales of Russian DHS agents being turned away at the Kentucky border, as have all been posted on this forum, are the stuff of aluminum foil helmets.

#3337032 - 08/26/13 07:14 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
recurve60#
4 Point

Loc: Rock Island

All I have read is the very first post when this thread started,and realized I made a good decision not buying the Backwoods whatever magazine off a news stand the other day

I can't understand for the life of me how a muslim lopping my head off, for whatever reason, would not be a loss of my freedom.

#3337128 - 08/26/13 08:17 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: recurve60#]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: recurve60#
All I have read is the very first post when this thread started,and realized I made a good decision not buying the Backwoods whatever magazine off a news stand the other day

I can't understand for the life of me how a muslim lopping my head off, for whatever reason, would not be a loss of my freedom.

I strongly concur.

Speaking of tinfoil helmets, John Silveira, the author of the Backwoods whatever article, must have used an entire roll to make his. Though he is not wrapped very tight, his helmet must be. That could be what's cutting off the circulation to his brain.

#3337197 - 08/26/13 08:56 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

I can't believe you actually know the man's name. \:D

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3337281 - 08/26/13 10:26 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: sgtwebb1]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: sgtwebb1
I can't believe you actually know the man's name. \:D

Unlike many here, present company excepted I'll presume, I take time to give a careful read to most of the linked articles that start posts before commenting on them. In the case of that one, when I was done, I wanted a few minutes of my life back. Broad false generalizations like the ones I've excerpted below make it difficult to take the rest of his article seriously. Even though he makes a few salient points worth considering, it's evident that the man is a fool, and I do not suffer fools gladly.

....No one in any of the Islamic countries is trying to take away our freedoms. No one in Russia, China, or North Korea gives a [censored] about them, either. In reality, the only people taking away our freedoms are in Washington, DC, our statehouses, and our city halls.

#3337910 - 08/27/13 12:55 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

Every level of government is strangling liberty! If you cannot see that Bambi, then who is the fool?
#3338007 - 08/27/13 02:11 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: 348Winchester]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: 348Winchester
Every level of government is strangling liberty! If you cannot see that Bambi, then who is the fool?

I didn't say they weren't, but anyone who believes our government is the ONLY threat, as the author of the linked article clearly contends, is indeed a fool.

#3338018 - 08/27/13 02:19 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

No one in any of the Islamic countries is trying to take away our freedoms.

So, you believe that the pushes for Sharia law here in the U.S. are solely originating here in the U.S.? You are a fool.

Μολων λαβε

#3338049 - 08/27/13 02:41 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Still-n-Quiet

So, you believe that the pushes for Sharia law here in the U.S. are solely originating here in the U.S.? You are a fool.

S-n-Q. If you will go back and READ my post you lifted the quote from, you will see the following sentence: ..."Broad false generalizations like the ones I've excerpted below make it difficult to take the rest of his article seriously...".

The words you attribute to me are the ones spoken by the author of the article. I suggest with as much grace as I can muster that you make certain someone actually wrote something before calling him a fool for doing so.

Edited to add: To answer your question unequivocally, no, I do not remotely believe that, just in case the narrative above was not clear.

Edited by Bambi Buster (08/27/13 02:59 PM)

#3338082 - 08/27/13 03:10 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Bambi Buster]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Still-n-Quiet

S-n-Q. If you will go back and READ my post you lifted the quote from, you will see the following sentence: ..."Broad false generalizations like the ones I've excerpted below make it difficult to take the rest of his article seriously...".

The words you attribute to me are the ones spoken by the author of the article. I suggest with as much grace as I can muster that you make certain someone actually wrote something before calling him a fool for doing so.

Edited to add: To answer your question unequivocally, no, I do not remotely believe that, just in case the narrative above was not clear.

Mia Culpa.

Μολων λαβε

#3338096 - 08/27/13 03:18 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
de novo
10 Point

If his point is foolish please explain how someone in Iraq or Afghanistan is effectively plotting against the 2nd Amendment or the 4th. Do you really still believe the Iraq War protected our freedoms?

Fool pot, meet fool kettle.

A John McCain, Barack Obama, even our own Alexander and Corker will do more to erode the US Constitution than any Mohammed, Kumar, or Ahmed over there.

#3338601 - 08/27/13 09:05 PM Re: The false argument about "defending our freedom" [Re: de novo]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

Bravo, de novo!
Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (RAFI, Deerhunter, ferg, turkeyhunter, Tims, Team Yuma, 14 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93363 Topics
1090174 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.117 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.