Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3323828 - 08/15/13 11:13 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Wow, great story! Even though I've never done it, I think I could totally get addicted to that style of hunting.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3323895 - 08/15/13 12:32 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: Poser]
RockChucker30
Spike

Backpack hunting is really the most efficient way to elk hunt. Most hunting pressure is within a mile of trailheads and roads with motorized access. Your best bet is to hunt deeper than a mile and no farther than 4-5 miles in so you can get one out (unless you have a lot of help or horses).

Walking in 2-4 miles morning and night from a truck camp at elevation will wear you down a lot faster than packing in and staying closer to the elk.

#3324054 - 08/15/13 02:42 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

From what I've seen.... the packs are killer also.

#3324064 - 08/15/13 02:55 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: RockChucker30
Backpack hunting is really the most efficient way to elk hunt. Most hunting pressure is within a mile of trailheads and roads with motorized access. Your best bet is to hunt deeper than a mile and no farther than 4-5 miles in so you can get one out (unless you have a lot of help or horses).

Walking in 2-4 miles morning and night from a truck camp at elevation will wear you down a lot faster than packing in and staying closer to the elk.

Yeah, the idea of going light and free is really attractive to me. Are you packs out on the market?

#3324078 - 08/15/13 03:15 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I didn't put two and two together. I've been following your pack thread on another forum.

#3324144 - 08/15/13 04:37 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

That's what we do also. leaving mid Sept. cant wait. nice bull also.

#3324790 - 08/16/13 10:25 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: tickweed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Here's a Steve Rinealla clip on backcountry game retrieval: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3HOzXjeyrVg#at=180

#3324901 - 08/16/13 12:26 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: DMAG]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Originally Posted By: DMAG
Hey guys I am going around meeker Co. for opening week in September. Would you guys care to give me advice on what clothing I should get to take?

A good friend of mine (and coworker) killed this one in early September last year in western CO. From his story, it sounds like a good rainsuit and a bow sling would be invaluable.

A group of guys here go at least every two years in early Sept. I plan on joining them in 2 years when I accrue 3 weeks of vacation.

#3325622 - 08/17/13 11:00 AM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: RockChucker30]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I actually wrote a story about it and got it published in Eastman's Bowhunting, the March/April 2013 issue.

I also re-posted it on my friends blog. The link is here:

http://seekoutside.com/be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

In short, I went out with a friend, packed in a couple miles with 1500 vert on day one, then he gets a phone call saying his MIL had a heart attack. We packed out the next day so he could travel home to be with his family.

I went back in solo, moved camp twice more, followed bugling till I found elk, was in them for 2-3 days and killed that bull on Day 5 with a 30 yard shot.

It poured on me during boning and packing. The packout SUCKED!!!! 3.5 miles with 2800 feet of elevation loss. Thankfully I had a friend out there who brought help after he got off work.

The hunt changed my life. I've been a backpack nut for years, but after the misery that my high dollar hunting pack created I decided that a better pack could be built.

So I teamed up with a partner who owns a gear company and we designed a new pack frame for hunting, filed a patent on the design, and I wound up quitting my day job.

It's amazing how small things like going on an elk hunt can change your life.

Nathan

Fantastic! I have also been investigating those tents and stoves as well, I am a hammock person myself but the thought of a wood stove in the backcountry is also appealing.

Great read!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3325879 - 08/17/13 05:33 PM Re: Colorado elk bowhunt, anyone going? [Re: AT Hiker]
RockChucker30
Spike

Thanks guys! Packs are available, but not sure I should talk about them here as I'm not a sponsor...:)

I liked the Steven Rinella link, but I disagree with him on a few points. First, mesh game bags allow flies to lay eggs through the mesh. TAG, Caribou, or Alaska game bags are a better option IME.

Also, if you're a mile in the gutless method and deboning an elk makes more sense than gutting and quartering.

I'd love to get one of my packs on Rinellas back, but Outdoorsmans can outspend me by a wide margin. He is a cool guy.

Here are two videos Nate Simmons did on gutless deboning that are GREAT. Like 15 mins each, so very detailed.

Part I
http://youtu.be/DYfybuL442w

Part II
http://youtu.be/XmCPtlwXKZQ

AT Hiker, I used a BCS last year on my hunt and now have a full LBO setup so if you want to look one over let me know. BTW, what kind of hammock do you run? I've got a TTT Trail Gear Switchback 1.9 SL with an OES tarp and my wife uses a WBBB Blackbird with a Mambajamba.

Nathan

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
95 registered (SilverFox, turkeyhuntr4, wayne, TNRazorback, fredfred, JAY B, 13 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91349 Topics
1067943 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.