Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3289450 - 07/12/13 11:28 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: MattR]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
nothing. save the money you would spend it and buy something that will help you kill a good deer- like land

#3289478 - 07/12/13 12:15 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: redblood
nothing. save the money you would spend it and buy something that will help you kill a good deer- like land

Or an apple and a roll of toilet paper so that you can stay in the stand longer.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3306773 - 07/30/13 04:35 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

What Wes said. I've got a grunt tube in my pack. Never use it anymore though. Don't even know why I still carry it.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3323547 - 08/15/13 07:02 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BSK]
serriaman07
4 Point

Loc: tenn

IMO it just really depends on the buck to doe rattio in you area I live in east Tenn. Our buck to do rattio is all messed up average bucks here a small basket rack 4 points and 6 points but there is areas around here that have some good bucks in them I have learned if I hunt near my house rattling is not effective very much it runs ever one of the small bucks off and does too scent was a little different if you got set up on the right spot and crack open a buck bomb with mins there will be a small buck going crazy now if I go and hunt back out in the bon dock in the rough smokey junkshon area I have learned midday late or early post rut rattling and scent only will wake up a buck if it at the right time its all about timing the rut I have used the can one quick tip if you use it don't grunt right after you use it come other bucks think any there buck is after her and he will run off
#3323566 - 08/15/13 07:24 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: serriaman07]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Oh Boy...

#3325018 - 08/16/13 02:17 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlountArrow]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I loved this comment to the video:
"Are you kidding me!!!!! I had the buck of a lifetime 40 yards away and wondered why he left when I started with the doe bleat. The whole time I was telling him. " Hey !! danger over here.... guy in a tree that doesn't know how to use the call"........ Thanks for the much needed clarification...lol"

#3325556 - 08/17/13 08:45 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: LanceS4803]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I'm by no means an expert but I've been using deer calls for 30+ years and have seen some consistency in certain aspects of calling. I think a lot depends on the deer you're hunting. I've seen places where the deer responded to calling on a frequent basis and places where the deer almost never responded...and sometimes there was less hunting pressure in the areas where the deer DID NOT respond to calling. To an extent, it would seem that some deer are almost genetically disposed to be more or less vocal than other deer, and that this trait may be localized.

I call to deer I see and I call blind. Granted you may spook unseen deer but that's just something that you'll never know. Calling to "seen" deer usually gets about an 80% response even if it's only to stop and look in your direction before moving on. The main mistakes people make when calling are in timing, volume, and movement. For instance, you don't estrus bleat opening weekend of archery season 1 1/2 months before the first does even come into heat. You also don't try to blow the reeds out of your call for volume. Wind dictates volume in conjunction with your setup and location. You start out softly and gain volume. The major mistake is movement. Once you make a call any deer within earshot is locked into your location. Dependent upon your location you may not see the deer but they may see you. After calling is not the time to scratch your butt or blow your nose. Watch for movement over the next 15 minutes. Once they hear you and IF they decide to approach they usually don't do so on the run. The exception to this might be during the pre-rut or rut. I've had bucks charge in and almost run over me either looking for the doe calling or to face the other buck in their area.

The best setups for calling have you concealed but give you somewhat of a view of the area the deer may have to travel through getting to your location...and they will cross an open field if they decide to check you out. The worst setups are in super thick areas where the deer have to be right on top of you before you ever know they're there.

The jury is still out on whether spooking a deer by calling will call shy him. If a deer busts you calling does it mean he'll never respond to calling again? If so, then it would seem that he'll live a lonely life and never respond to the real deal again...and deer are vocal. I lean more towards a deer being super wary responding to calls afterward to the point of possibly being unkillable.

I also believe that herd dynamics plays a role in "callability"; particularly concerning bucks. When an older buck has previously intimidated the younger bucks those younger bucks may be very nervous when they hear another buck grunting. This makes for some humorous entertainment calling to them while they're in the vicinity of your stand.

Calling is not for everyone and if you don't have faith in that calling will work maybe you shouldn't try it. It's not a guarantee that it will put a deer on the ground but sometimes it's the thing that can seal the deal. It's just another component in the hunter's arsenal.

#3327162 - 08/18/13 08:59 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlackBelt]
SOUTHERN CHICK
4 Point

Loc: soddy-daisy ,tn

I ALWAYS USE THE GREAT BIG CAN CALL & A KNIGHT & HALE GRUNT CALL DURING THE RUT .I HAVE TOLD MY HUNTING BUDDIES AND THEY HAVE DEER THEY DON'T SEE .1 GUY KILLED 3 BUCKS SAME STAND IN A WEEK .I CAN EVERY 20-30 MINS. I START TO MY LEFT AND TURN CAN & GRUNT AT SAME TIME [TURN CAN UNTIL IT STOPS ] AND I TURN WORKING MY WAY TO MY RIGHT BEFORE I STOP 4 TURN CAN FOR TO 6 TIMES .SOUNDS LIKE BUCK RUNNING AFTER A DOE .I SEEN A BUCK RUNNING AFTER A DOE ON A RIDGE 150 YARDS AWAY IN HARDWOODS IT WAS RUNNING LIKE A RACE HORSE I CALLED A HE LEFT THE DOE AND CAME TO ME .AT CATOOSA LATE MUZZLELOADER HUNT A DEER RAN THROUGH PINE THICKET AND THEN I SEEN ANTLER BANCING UP AND DOWN BEHIND THE DOE REALLY FAST ,I DID MY CALLING AND ABOUT 5 MINS.LATE HERE HE CAME WALKING DOWN TRAIL REAL SLOW LOOKING FOR ME .TRY THIS THEY WORK .IF COLD YOU HAVE TO SOMETIMES BLOW WARM BREATH TO WARM UP CAN ,DON'T LET RAIN OR MOISTER IN
#3442292 - 11/08/13 12:03 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlackBelt]
mountainwlkr
6 Point

Loc: blount cty

[/quote]If you didnt know that, go to youtube and type in "the deer doctor"...which is a guy named peter fiduccia (or something like that) and watch his free video on the 5 different sounds deer make and what each means. [/quote]

that Fiduccia does a great calling lesson to me he is a must see because he gives you great insight into calling deer.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (BuckNrut, Hunter 257W, HUNTTNKY, cbhunter, wobblegobble, pressfit, 10 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85424 Topics
1032233 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.204 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.