Topic Options
#3322430 - 08/14/13 07:45 AM Re: Frustrating [Re: catman529]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
I have a peep sight so the anchor is pretty much the same every time

Ahh... No. A peep does not guarantee a consistant anchor. It is a huge help but not fool proof. If every thing on the bow is tight and you did not hit the bow on a hard surface as to bend or force anything out of alignment the problem is almost 100% in your form or shot execution in some way. Inconsistent anchor is a huge possibility, along with heeling the bow or dropping your shoulder, foot placement can cause a problem (causes one of the previous breakdowns). Pulling harder or less hard into the back of your valley can cause high/low misses. A draw length too long or too short can cause the same inconsistencies. Too much poundage, fatigue and even corrective lenses can be a factor.

These types of problems are rarely based in your equipment. They are ALMOST exclusively a shooter based issue. No one believes that they are the reason they are shooting inconsistently, most believe that the bow is broken, their arrow rest is broken, their sight is moving, their arrows are messed up, or the guy at the archery shop screwed up my perfectly tuned bow and now I must change it back to the way it was. While each of these are POSSIBLE they are rare. The overwhelming number of variables in archery are shooter related.

It is kind of like the golfer who wraps his driver around the trunk of a tree. That bad shot is rarely the drivers fault.

Don't change anything on the bow. Take a day or two off and come back fresh and see if has improved. If not don't change the bow. Take another day or two. Then a Third. If after three sessions of inconsistent shooting make a very small adjustment to the sight, if your arrows are flying perfectly, and/or a slight adjustment to the rest if the arrows are not flying perfectly. Then Repeat the three session cycle. The repetition is what will get you to where you want to be. Changing the equipment is a self-defeating exercise.

To be a better archer first get your bow tuned. Then develop consistency. Then refine your tunability. Then work on accuracy and shot placement. Then adjust your tunability. Then nail down your sights and shot placement. This is how you get to be a really good archer. Most, overwhelmingly MOST, people who shoot a bow skip the "develop consistency" step. This is the hard work part of becoming an archer. It is not rocket science but it will take some work.

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3322671 - 08/14/13 11:10 AM Re: Frustrating [Re: Hoss]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

thanks for the advice Hoss. I figure it is my own error because the sight and rest are tightened down. Will see how the shooting goes today with no fatigue

#3322732 - 08/14/13 12:04 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: catman529]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

I will tell you when I first started bow hunting I spent days even weeks sometimes chasing the sight. Took me a while to figure out it wasn't my sight it was me. Overshooting and getting fatigued will cause bad accuracy issues.

Last year I kind of had the same thing you are describing where I was shooting good one day and came back the next and was high and left, shot for a little bit, still high and left. Left everything alone and came back the next day and was high and left again, got to looking my stop on my cam had slid about 1/2inch and was causing my anchor point and draw to change slightly. Re-adjust the stop and was back on target.

How old is your string?

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3322770 - 08/14/13 12:40 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: thetoolman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I need to put a stop on the cam.

I just got back in from shooting, and my groups were not very tight, but were not as high as when I finished shooting yesterday. Will give another day or 2 break and then see. Not touching the sight for a while now because I believe it is sighted in pretty well.

#3322849 - 08/14/13 02:03 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: catman529]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I constantly tell myself "let the bow do its thing." What I mean by that is, follow through. Don't grab the bow when you release the arrow and don't torque your grip. Let the bow work.

#3323146 - 08/14/13 07:28 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: infoman jr.]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

You may want to look into this, or as handy as you are make it yourself, it will help you with grip/torque issues. I bought one for the young man next door as he was having numerous grip/torque/snatching issues and it does work.

http://dontchokearchery.com/

#3323415 - 08/15/13 12:06 AM Re: Frustrating [Re: TNDeerGuy]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
You may want to look into this, or as handy as you are make it yourself, it will help you with grip/torque issues. I bought one for the young man next door as he was having numerous grip/torque/snatching issues and it does work.

is it just a pad in that particular shape that keeps you from closing your hand? not a bad idea, thanks.

#3323603 - 08/15/13 08:11 AM Re: Frustrating [Re: catman529]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

is it just a pad in that particular shape that keeps you from closing your hand? not a bad idea, thanks.

It is a pad that is surrounded by something fairly stiff—I suspect something like plexiglass? The idea is that it forces you to use correct hand position, location and makes it impossible to grip or snatch the bow—you have to use a wrist sling or finger sling though because the bow will hit the ground if you don't. Just follow the instructions on how to use it and you can see how to make it....like I know you're gonna do. ;\)

#3323915 - 08/15/13 12:52 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: catman529]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

to me almost no way you can be sure you are holding EXACTLY the same with a peep sight. Grip pressure could be different is one thing that is hard to tell. Archey innovation anchor sight solves that problem.

#3323973 - 08/15/13 01:28 PM Re: Frustrating [Re: Headhunter]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

add a kisser button if you dont already have one, that will help some on anchor point consistancy.

will slow the string down a tad but prob not enough to notice.

John 3:16

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (JoshDosMil) and 40 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.