Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3318006 - 08/10/13 09:32 AM Re: If I get my own bow press [Re: Crow Terminator]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

First thing I do when replacing strings , is to measure the strings and cables under tension prior to installing them . I'll keep the old cables on and replace the string first , then replace the old cables . Makes it a lot easier to remember the proper installation . Once I get the strings and cables on and out of the press , I max out the draw weight , and check the specs , cam timing , rotation ,cam lean , etc.

#3318240 - 08/10/13 01:43 PM Re: If I get my own bow press [Re: Crow Terminator]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
I hope you're being sarcastic. If not...you're in for a major reality check.

True...you can simplify the basic makeup of a bow. But there's a lot of things you will have to learn and a lot of it is going to be by trial and error.

For Example: Say you get your bow and decide to put a new string/cables on the bow. You press it, take the old ones off, and manage to get the new ones on and in the correct positions on the cam or cams.

Maybe you got EXTREMELY lucky and the bow is dead on in spec after doing this. More often than not...the bow is not going to be in spec. Say its got almost a half inch too long of draw length vs what it's suppose to have...the Axle to Axle length is out of spec, and the brace height is out of spec as well. In addition to that, the limbs are suppose to be 70# maxed out...but on the draw scale, they are actually pulling 76 lbs, and the bow's valley is nearly non existent...the bow wants to take off on you if you creep just a hair. What do you do to get everything on the bow back in spec? \:\) That's what I'm talking about as far as being lost.

It gets better with time, but you gotta be patient and never make a bunch of changes at once....do little changes and make note of what each change does.

There's a bit more to it than just having limbs, riser, string and cables.

Ok, this makes sense. I took my bow to the shop last year to have it inspected and the string replaced due to a dry fire (don't ask). The bow checked out good and they ordered a new string. They called me about 2 weeks later and said it was ready. I went in to test it and couldn't draw it. It's a 60-70lb bow. The workers and other customers were watching me and a few were chuckling because I could barely move it. They put it on the scale and it pulled over 90lbs and it wasn't even at peak draw weight yet. I felt vindicated, but I wasn't happy. Their technicians looked it over for a while and couldn't figure out what they had done wrong. I had to leave and come back a week later once they had figured it out and fixed it. They never told me what happened, even though I asked. So, yeah, I can see how I could get myself in a situation like that if a pro shop can do the same.

Should have my new press in a few weeks and I plan to start off installing a new peep and rest. We'll see where it goes from there. I have a backup bow that is shooting good just in case things go South...

#3318288 - 08/10/13 03:09 PM Re: If I get my own bow press [Re: Vermin93]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I took my PSE X Force in to have the cables installed and had to keep telling the young guys at the proshop what to do to get the cams timed on the timing marks , Lol . I would have done it myself , but my press won't work on the X Force series with beyond parallel limbs .

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (garytnhunter, Thicketmaster, Master Chief, Deer Whisperer, longnosedoe, Zulu, 1 invisible) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1088540 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.