Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3315374 - 08/07/13 09:42 PM Deer Breakfast sausage?
Dodge Man
12 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN

Dose anybody have a good recipe for Deer breakfast sausage?

http://www.talkinfowl.com/

#3315630 - 08/08/13 07:56 AM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: Dodge Man]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Here you go:

4 pounds trimmed venison
1 pound pork fatback. Diced
1 & 1/4 Ounces of kosher salt
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground ginger or finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon rubbed sage
2 tablespoons of Black peppercorns
1/2 cup of Maple syrup

In a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder, grind the black pepper, sage, ginger (if dried) cayenne, nutmeg to a powder.

Grind the venison and fatback separately. In a mixer or by hand, mix the venison, fatback, spice and salt (ginger, too, if it is fresh).

*Spread out on a pan and put in the freezer for 20 minutes.*

Grind the mixture again through a medium plate and mix in the maple syrup.

Cook a tiny, sample patty on the stove and adjust seasonings as needed.

Divide into appropriate sized portions and freeze.

Notes:

If you are using pork trimmings instead of pure fatback, use closer to a 1.5 pounds. Muscle weighs more than fat. For breakfast sausage, you really want most, if not all, of the fat to be pure fatback.

Get the freshest, highest quality fatback you can get, It makes a HUGE difference in taste.

Use the freshest, highest quality spices you can get. It also makes a HUGE difference. (if you use your seasonings that have been sitting on the shelf for 5 years, you will definitely taste it)

Different salts produce different volumes. Table salt is not ideal at all for sausage making. Ground sea salt is fine, though. Different types of salts will have different volume measurements if using measuring cups. Weight is the same across the board. If using volume measurements, Morton's Kosher salt has the closest volume to weight ratio of any salt on the market.

The reason you dice the fat, grind separately and freeze between stages is because it helps the venison and pork bind together. This seems like an easy step to skip, but you should not skip it. Anytime you are making sausage, you should dice the fat and grind it separately from the venison, mix and place in the freezer. This makes a noticeable difference in the outcome of your sausage. I dice the fat with a meat cleaver, which.... is kind of enjoyable. \:\)
Any serious book you read on sausage making will hammer this detail home. I used to ignore it, but, since I started doing it, my sausages have improved dramatically. Remember, texture if extremely important with regards to sausage.

I have started using our mixer instead of mixing by hand because it seems to be more efficient and frees me up to do other tasks while the sausage is mixing. Because we have a medium mixer (should have bought the large one), I have found that 5-7 pounds total is about all my mixer can handle at a time, so I stick to batches of that size. If I intend to make 10 pounds of breakfast sausage, I do it in two stages. Since you are rotating in and out of the freezer anyway, this makes it a pretty efficient system.

When you get mediocre sausage back from a deer processor, it is usually because they took shortcuts with the grinding and binding stages and because they used cheap and/or old ingredients.

Hope this helps.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3315668 - 08/08/13 08:24 AM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: Poser]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

I mix my ground venison 80/20 to pork fat. Then use Leggs seasoning or a local seasoning I sometimes find. I will fry up a test patty and add seasoning to taste. Let sausage sit in fridge for 24 hours prior to packaging.

For a little spice I add a little extra cayenne and crushed red pepper.

Also made some last year with a little liquid smoke that turned out pretty darn good.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3316309 - 08/08/13 06:27 PM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: Poser]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Thanks for the recipe. Where do you find fatback? I have not seen it in a grocery store for quite awhile.
#3316488 - 08/08/13 08:17 PM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: thetoolman]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: thetoolman
I mix my ground venison 80/20 to pork fat. Then use Leggs seasoning or a local seasoning I sometimes find. I will fry up a test patty and add seasoning to taste. Let sausage sit in fridge for 24 hours prior to packaging.

For a little spice I add a little extra cayenne and crushed red pepper.

Also made some last year with a little liquid smoke that turned out pretty darn good.
I will second this. VERY GOOD sausage with Leggs seasoning!

#3316643 - 08/08/13 09:39 PM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Thanks for the recipe. Where do you find fatback? I have not seen it in a grocery store for quite awhile.

Shelby County, call a butcher shop such as Ramon's or the one out in Germantown and have them order it for you fresh. -should be les than $2 a pound.

Edited: butcher shop, not burger shop.

Edited by Poser (08/09/13 07:31 AM)

#3316705 - 08/08/13 10:21 PM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: DaveB]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: DaveB

You just have to go to the right stores ;\) You do live in Memphis, after all. \:D

If you double check to see if you've locked your vehicle, it's a good chance that the store will carry it. Try the Kroger on S. Third at Belz.

#3316741 - 08/08/13 11:37 PM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: Dodge Man]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

This could be part of the problem I'm having with some of the sausage products that I've made. I have been going to the Mexican supermercado and buying pork belly to mix with my venison for sausage. Some of the fat on the pork belly strips is nice and firm but a lot of it is soft and doesn't grind well at all. I tried to make summer sausage once with this stuff and it was an epic fail. I am definitely going to try and get some fatback for my next sausage making effort.

This place is not too far from me and it looks like they sell fatback. Do you think it would be good quality? I have no idea what Berkshire Breed Pork is.

Rudolph’s Market

#3316756 - 08/09/13 12:01 AM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: Vermin93]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

This place is not too far from me and it looks like they sell fatback. Do you think it would be good quality? I have no idea what Berkshire Breed Pork is.

Rudolph’s Market

When someone is described as living "high on the hog", you can assume that's a Berkshire hog \:D

Berkshires are considered some of the finest breeds out there......

#3316929 - 08/09/13 08:07 AM Re: Deer Breakfast sausage? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

If Rudolph's doesn't stock fatback, they can surely order it for you. Newman farms charges $1.80 a pound for it at the Farmer's Market (you email them the week before to place the order). You may pay a bit more at a specialty butcher, but I wouldn't pay more than $3 a pound for it. If they want to charge you more than than, I'd try bargaining with them. Generic pork fat usually goes for a little over a buck a pound, but I've been charged up to $3 a pound for it before.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (kel, double browtine, Mr.Bro, downthebrown, RodBone75, Jcalder, 4 invisible) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89107 Topics
1042164 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.21 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.